News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Bad language on the forum

Started by s class, 25 October 2007, 12:21 PM

s class

Gents and laydeee,

Up till about a year ago, bad language was almost unheard of on this forum.  It has been creeping in ever so slightly.  Now that I don't have a problem with too much as there are times when it may seem appropriate (like when a washer falls into an inlet manifold).

I don't howver enjoy reading tirades of bad language.  Others may have different opinions.  I'm just putitng this out there to think about. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

koan

See it much the same as you "s class", don't care one way or the other about f**ks, sh*ts and the like in moderation. When I've barked my knuckles for the fourth time on a difficult job my language is a touch colourful.

What I do dislike though is language that doesn't communicate (to me?), "yo kick ass motherfukka sick" for instance.

Dead against any form of censorship whatsoever though.

koan

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

s class

Agreed that everything in moderation is tolerable, but the problem is that different people have very different ideas of what moderation is. 

I'm not asking for censorship, just appealing to members to perhaps take a second to consider whether their posting is appropriate before clicking the 'post' button. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Andrew280SEL

I agree with you, it has increased.

I don't mind threads like BC's (Thursday's Word) which are in the closed Lounge and are funny (and it's only a relatively minor word anyhow), but repeated intentional swearing in the other places like Test Drive etc, I'm not so sure...
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

s class

Agreed Andrew, the Lounge is more relaxed.  Vulgarity is out of place in the technical areas. 

crayford

Agreed.

Theoretically, based on the fact that I am woman in a largely mens' thread, there is more opportunity for me to be offended.

I consider myself pretty open-minded, and do get a laugh out of most of the discussions.

However, I don't agree with repeated and unnecessary swearing, or thoroughly pointless topics. This even includes in the Lounge as far as I'm concerned, as it is simple to tell the "tone" of a topic or reply (eg BCs Thursday's Word and, yes, I'll even support the Air Bag thread, as it was relatively harmless). But recently there has been completely ridiculous stuff going on all over the place.

For some reason, things have recently (and I say recently, as some members have always been a little more "out there", yet still inoffensive) gotten a bit out of hand. I do not wish to support censorship on such a forum, as we are mostly very good at "self-policing", so I think a little more care taken by the individual to his or her posts should be encouraged.

Brian Crump

There is a difference between humour and sexual aggression.
The level of sexual aggression has risen markedly in the last 24 hours and is not acceptable. One set of posts has now crossed the boundaries of good taste and what is acceptable.
I certainly don't want my name associated with a forum that allows this to happen and have emailed Admin for assistance.
I am sure the issue can be resolved before we begin to loose members. If not, then I do not want to be a party to a public (or private) display of what I consider to be repugnant posting.
Regards,
BC

crayford

And sadly, I'm just waiting for someone to crash in here and call this the "prude" thread...

The other forum I participate in regularly would have banned certain members on here already without question. For good. I don't want to advocate radical acts, but I also wish to continue enjoying this forum in the manner to which I've become accustomed  ;).

What bothers me is that there are so many other things to have discussions about - which we all do. We're never short of something to say, some interest to raise. There is no need for some of the recent topics to be posted at all...

s class

I'm reluctant to change in general, so I'm not likely to leave in a hurry, but some of the recent postings here leave me cold.  Please admin?

Andrew280SEL

I'm not going anywhere. I stand firm!

I say we ignore a certain thread (or two) and maybe Admin can decide what to do...or something.
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

Des

Quote from: Brian Crump on 25 October 2007, 03:43 PM
There is a difference between humour and sexual aggression.
The level of sexual aggression has risen markedly in the last 24 hours and is not acceptable. One set of posts has now crossed the boundaries of good taste and what is acceptable.
I certainly don't want my name associated with a forum that allows this to happen and have emailed Admin for assistance.
I am sure the issue can be resolved before we begin to loose members. If not, then I do not want to be a party to a public (or private) display of what I consider to be repugnant posting.
Regards,
BC

I agree 101%

I think some posts have got out of hand and are not appropriate or in the spirit of this forum.

admin

Admin has also noticed an increasing use of inappropriate language, especially in the last 24 hours. The gradual increase is more the worry.

Admin does not want to censor anyone and hopes that everyone appreciates the free speech available here. Admin especially hopes that new members consider the impact of thier posts on all other members and this forum before posting.

Admin asks for tollerence for non-W116 owners and understanding that they have much to learn from other forum members, both in terms of W116 as well as respect for others.

OzBenzHead

What a sensible and coolheaded discussion!

I, too, find the over-use or gratuitous use of profanity a tad bothering in that it lowers the tone of this forum.

I'm no prude by any means (I could probably severely shock many on this forum should I so choose), and certainly have my *&#%$* moments.

The excessive or gratuitous use of profanity indicates, to me, either a paucity of appropriate vocabulary - which is sad but rectifiable by self-education - or an inappropriately aggressive mindset.

Mostly I can just ignore such instances as we've seen a lot of recently, but I'd prefer not to have to even make the effort.

Censorship is the edge of fascism, and I certainly wouldn't wish to be party to (or subjected to) such intervention.  Example: On the Ozbenz forum, the word "shit" is automatically (I assume - by a script / bot of some kind) replaced by "faeces".  Such intervention then runs the risk of unnecessarily bowdlerising posters' inputs when an instance of the word just might be appropriate.

Perhaps the best approaches are:

• to ignore or not respond to such posts (a tad limiting, because such an approach could kill off otherwise worthwhile discussions)

• for individual posters to make appropriate negative remarks in response to offensive or bothersome posts (involving, of course, a risk of escalating the matter to a war - not desirable)

• banning (perhaps after suitable warning/s) by Admin, or

• self-moderation by the offending posters (ideally the approach taken).
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

Brian Crump

So Admin, what are you saying?
Regards,
BC

koan

BC, I'm assuming it means admin will deal with the offenders diplomatically, have a quiet word off board, suggesting a moderation of their language.

EDIT: It appears my assumption was wrong.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!