Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Mechanicals / Re: Power steering and steering damper - FANTASTIC difference!
« Last post by Jan S on 04 June 2021, 12:33 PM »
My steering components are fine, now, after replacing the damper and flushing the system (the rest is ok). I'm uncertain about the gear box, probably old and to some unknown degree worn out.

I wouldn't say the new damper and flushing the system "mask" the play - I would say their functions are restored. The play remains.

Anyhow, the drive feeling is significantly improved.
So, a new damper will simply “mask” the play... but it won’t address the root cause(s)
No.  There is no physical way fresh oil/filter and a new damper can make up for and/or remedy mechanical wear.  The new oil and filter may restore power assist, and the new damper will merely "dampen" the mechanical wear.  If there is slop in the steering then you need to concentrate on actual steering aspects (tie rods, drag link, idler arm bushing, and steering gear box).  With the exception of the steering gear box, all of those other items are readily replaceable.  The steering gear boxes are bad about wearing out in the center/straight ahead position.  Sometimes some of that play can be taken out, but not all of it.  If all of the play is taken out it usually causes the steering gear box to bind/seize at the far left or far right extremities. In other words, when turning the wheel all the way to the right or left it'll struggle to come out of that turn on it's own. 
Mechanicals / Re: 280SE woes
« Last post by entresz on 03 June 2021, 09:04 PM »
This is very interesting. Thanks to everyone and especially Utn boy who's "guru" status in my book is well deserved. My 1978 280SE although runs and drives very well, sometimes has a slight miss at idle when hot. I will now check and replace ballast resistors, coil and plug leads. This forum always is so helpful for these absolutely wonderful cars. Thanks again everyone.

BCDC

Solar power can save this planet.

Hi BCDC
Is there any chance it was you that I drove past near Mary's Hope Road in Hobart a maybe six months back? I was in my silver 280SE.
It's so rare to see another one, especially in the same colour on the road!
« Last post by BCDC on 03 June 2021, 06:08 PM »
This is very interesting. Thanks to everyone and especially Utn boy who's "guru" status in my book is well deserved. My 1978 280SE although runs and drives very well, sometimes has a slight miss at idle when hot. I will now check and replace ballast resistors, coil and plug leads. This forum always is so helpful for these absolutely wonderful cars. Thanks again everyone.

BCDC

Solar power can save this planet.
Interiors & Exteriors / Re: repair panels
« Last post by Howard60 on 03 June 2021, 02:38 AM »
Thanks all for your replies, nice to see pics of work in progress as well.
I dont believe mine are rusty on the inside as they were good metal before I pranged it, but never say never!
So I think that replacement is the way to go, particularly with the lip of the arch being so specific.
I shall look at some of the brands you've mentioned and see what prices they come back at?
Cheers, Howard
« Last post by entresz on 02 June 2021, 11:52 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone
It's really helpful
There are few more things for me to check

I'll also try and get in touch with Volker -- I have read some of his articles - they're VERY informative

When I bought the car - original owner provided me with some parts... I think I might actually have a throttle position switch there. I'll check.

I'll also put some fresh fuel in and see if that helps. Would be good if that was all the problem is.

These intermittent faults are very frustrating but I shouldn't complain as it's been very reliable until now.

« Last post by Jan S on 02 June 2021, 02:44 PM »
Good point.

I did a test drive after replacing the damper. Much improved drive. Then I flushed the power steering system, and did a new test drive. The improvement was significant - greater effect than the new damper alone.

Mechanical play is there for the eternity. I guess the much improved fluid in the system can remedy some of it?
Guys.....don't get too excited.  Renewing the damper will only dampen the excess play in the steering system making it feel like the excess play is gone.  It won't get rid of the excess play.  Furthermore, this will shorten the life of the damper, too.  So check your steering linkages and gear box for play and remedy those, as well.....because the excess play is still there. 
« Last post by Jan S on 02 June 2021, 11:54 AM »
Agree adamb, and I would go even further - the new damper and flushing of the system have improved the play by 80%  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]