Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Shop / Re: For Sale in London SW18
« Last post by rumb on 21 July 2021, 09:30 AM »
Nice looking car!  Does the engine have a double row timing chain installed?
Mechanicals / Re: Steering damper orientation
« Last post by ptashek on 21 July 2021, 05:35 AM »
Never spotted that one! But phew, checked mine and it's mounted the right way :)
Test Drive / Re: W116 Such Gas Hogs. Why ?
« Last post by ptashek on 21 July 2021, 05:31 AM »
I hate when my accountant asks these type of questions. Wives/girlfriends have that bad habit too.  Calculating and knowing fuel consumption figures and total repair/maintenance expenses in my mind is inversely proportional to the pleasure level of owning classic cars. I personally prefer ignoring them.

...and insurance companies, too.

I'm currently going through a soap drama level back and forth with my insurance company to get my agreed value insurance renewed. All these records suddenly became very helpful.
Shop / For Sale in London SW18
« Last post by kertbache on 21 July 2021, 04:03 AM »
I'm offering my W116 for sale because I've been gifted another vehicle, and I just don't have enough time available for both. This was originally a 1979 350SE but it currently has a 380 all alloy engine from a 1981 R107 and a four speed automatic transmission. The vehicle has many good points but it does require some work especially in regard of the sunroof. A new owner may also want to have it repainted as it's currently matt finish Champagne metallic 473. Offers are invited whilst bearing in mind the condition as apparent in the attached photographs. Please contact Lee on 07944 663281 if interested in making an appointment to view and make an offer to purchase. 
« Last post by revilla on 20 July 2021, 09:20 PM »
The fuel usage with the wonderful cars is never going to be great. It's a basic law of physics. These vehicles are HEAVY and this is the main reason for not brilliant fuel economy. Sure, it is best practice to get the thing running smoothly but you will never get outstanding economy even driving long distances at low RPM. Enjoy the car for what it is, a luxury saloon. When I first got mine I would work out the fuel usage when filling up but let that go a while ago, now I don't care and never think about it unless I read a post on this forum like this. I spend most of the time enjoying the experience of such a beautiful drive. I must admit that here in Australia we have access to 98 high octane fuel available almost everywhere, so I just fill her up with the best stuff and floor it. Enjoy the last gap of fossil fuels.

BC

Never ever better stated. 10000% agree. It’s like that other practice of keeping records of expenses on parts etc for the old girls. I hate when my accountant asks these type of questions. Wives/girlfriends have that bad habit too.  Calculating and knowing fuel consumption figures and total repair/maintenance expenses in my mind is inversely proportional to the pleasure level of owning classic cars. I personally prefer ignoring them.
« Last post by BCDC on 20 July 2021, 07:35 PM »
The fuel usage with the wonderful cars is never going to be great. It's a basic law of physics. These vehicles are HEAVY and this is the main reason for not brilliant fuel economy. Sure, it is best practice to get the thing running smoothly but you will never get outstanding economy even driving long distances at low RPM. Enjoy the car for what it is, a luxury saloon. When I first got mine I would work out the fuel usage when filling up but let that go a while ago, now I don't care and never think about it unless I read a post on this forum like this. I spend most of the time enjoying the experience of such a beautiful drive. I must admit that here in Australia we have access to 98 high octane fuel available almost everywhere, so I just fill her up with the best stuff and floor it. Enjoy the last gap of fossil fuels.

BC
« Last post by Motorman on 20 July 2021, 07:13 PM »
Do the 450 SELs run better on low ethanol gas? Where do you find that?

Hi
Our local farm service co-op has regular non-ethanol, which is handy since my SL runs fine on it. Off island you can actually get premium non-ethanol which is a great option for higher compression engines. Prices are high for both but since retired, no more commuting!!
Mechanicals / 300SD Power Loss | Fuel Delivery Issue?
« Last post by SuitGuy on 20 July 2021, 06:03 PM »
Hello all! My 1980 OM617 seems to greatly dislike hills and anything requiring power. I believe it is a fuel delivery issue but I am unsure where to begin. I have already replaced my filters, return lines, and the main fuel line to the injector pump. Is it likely I have a pump beginning to kick the bucket?

Description of the issue:
You're driving down the road at highway speeds (55 mph) and you come to the ever so slightest, barely perceivable incline when suddenly the engine decides that you don't need power. It'd rather just lag like you're dragging a doublewide.
You put your foot to the floor. The engine roars to half throttle then falls flat on its face.

I am currently in the process of securing two new crush washers for the ALDA banjo bolt, as they had been replaced with a lock washer by the previous owner. This is an issue that has developed over the course of a month, so I doubt it will cure my power loss. Any and all wisdom is appreciated.
Kindly, Suitguy
« Last post by daantjie on 20 July 2021, 03:19 PM »
What's more interesting about tcj  s photo is that the bolt for the idler arm bush is installed from the bottom upwards which is contrary to the explicit instructions of the section of the wsm covering the idler arm.  Every original unmolested 107, 116, 126 I've ever seen has them installed from the top downwards.

I saw that too yes.  On the 6.9 if you replace the idler arm bushing then the starter is in the way so I think on most 6.9's the bolt is with the head at the bottom.  If you think about it this is a safety measure of last resort so the bolt does not drop out if the nut somehow works loose :o
« Last post by s class on 20 July 2021, 01:20 PM »
What's more interesting about tcj  s photo is that the bolt for the idler arm bush is installed from the bottom upwards which is contrary to the explicit instructions of the section of the wsm covering the idler arm.  Every original unmolested 107, 116, 126 I've ever seen has them installed from the top downwards.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]