Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Mechanicals / Re: RIP Squiggle Dog. "Mechanicien Extraordinaire."
« Last post by raueda1 on Yesterday at 05:09 PM »
oops, posted in wrong place....  But Scott is certainly deserving of the title.
Mechanicals / RIP Squiggle Dog. "Mechanicien Extraordinaire."
« Last post by floyd111 on Yesterday at 03:27 PM »
I think Scott deserves a last but permenant spot in THIS section,
His contributions over the years are more than impressive.
He will be dearly missed.
Mechanicals / 1972 280se 2.8 Stalling issue
« Last post by Robdevil on Yesterday at 03:15 PM »
Hi folks , I just purchased a 280se and it starts good when cold and then it shuts off after 5-10 minutes and doesn’t restart .
I have spark and fuel pump seems to work fine .
I changed the fuel filter and it was pretty gunked  up .  The problem is still happening .

Is there any other fuel filters ?

I also noticed the points on the inside of the distributor look a little burnt .

Could this be the problem?

Thank you in advance
Mechanicals / Re: 6.9 water pump questions
« Last post by adamb on Yesterday at 02:57 PM »
I didn't know there were two types of water pump.  I have a spare which I've not had to use yet, fortunately.

What can happen?
- It gets damaged due to debris in the channels or rusted due to poor quality or old coolant. The blades fail to move the coolant around effectively. Can result in overheating.
- The seals leak
- The bearing wears out

I've never heard of the last one happening and I think it's the only possible cause of complete failure. Would like to hear if anybody has had to change the water pump for this reason.

AFAIK the pump is a service free item - just check belt tension as a matter of practice.
Interiors & Exteriors / Re: MB-Tex seat issues
« Last post by raueda1 on Yesterday at 11:04 AM »
905 is off-white velours.

Thanks much for solving that mystery.  Oh, what I'd give to have that velour again!  But now I got MB-tex, so I guess I've got a super-taxi, which isn't bad. 

Still, any thoughts on whether the foam can be inserted without taking the seat completely apart?
« Last post by Max-NL on Yesterday at 10:32 AM »
905 is off-white velours.

Mechanicals / 6.9 water pump questions
« Last post by raueda1 on Yesterday at 10:18 AM »
I'm planning a long trip in Aug and have mild water pump concerns.  The current pump is the old-style with round pipes.  The questions:

1.  Is the newer style with rectangular pipes bolt-on compatible?
2.  Does the pump give any warning signs before complete failure?  Obvious leaking is obvious, but anything else?  Can a pump leak intermittently?
3.  There's a little hole on top of the pump, like a vent.  What is it and does it need any kind of care?

Thanks in advance for any insights. Cheers,
« Last post by raueda1 on Yesterday at 10:03 AM »
What is the interior trim code on the data card?
I wish I knew.  There must be something wrong with me, cause I've I've never really been able to fully decipher this stuff despite numerous searches. From what I understand:

Options plate:
931H = magnetite blue --> correct
532 = auto antenna w/o radio --> correct
592 = heated rear window --> correct
638 = elimination of warning triangle --> I have one but I might have installed it, can't recall
812 = rear speakers --> correct

Data card:
Ausstatung:  905 = ???  This is interior, right?  But can't find 905 anyplace
406 = SINGLE SEAT WITH ORTHOPAEDIC FRONT SEAT BACKREST, LEFT AND RIGHT  aka lumbar support?
532 = auto antenna w/o radio --> correct
592 = heated rear window --> correct
638 = no warning triangle
640 = aluminum disk wheels (Bundts?)  --> correct
665 = ???

Wenig gewuenscht (on data card)
206 = ???
233 = FOGLAMP WIRING FOR FRANCE, SWITZERLAND, AUSTRALIA, SWEDEN, NORWAY --> no idea about this
309 = LEFT TAIL LAMP WITHOUT REAR FOG LAMP --> no idea what this means
812 = rear speakers

Nowhere do I see a recognizable upholstery code.  The interior is palomino or light beige or whatever they call it.  What am I missing here?   :o

I've done the valve stem seals on my 6.9 but I can't comment on the longevity of only doing seals as I've not dome enough kms, probably only 2 or 3 thousand total.

The seals are a hard, not very flexible material and need to heated in hot water for some minutes to have any hope of getting them  over the valve stems.

Hello,

I know this is an old thread, but I am actually having the valve stem seals changed at the moment in my M116.985 3.5L V8 in my 350SE from 12/1977.

However, my mechanic just reported back to me this morning, that he is worried that the seals in the kit I gave him, do not fit tightly on the valve stems. Actually, they are a lot looser than the old ones, which are however stone-hard and obviously the source of a lot of blue smoke.

He checked the part number on the kits against the EPC and it matches!

Have anyone had the same observation and will the seals expand and fit tightly around the valve stems when they get soaked with oil?

Looking forward to hear back from you.

Thanks,

Christian

Ps.: I bought the valve stem seal kits from SLS in Hamburg Germany: https://www.sls-hh-shop.de/main/en/mercedes-280-500sl-c-r-c107-/01-05-18-engine-m116-m117-mechanic/01-c-05-cylinder-heads-3-5-and-4-5/valve-stem-seals-per-head-3-5-4-5-en-p-10092
But my mechanic will now also order a kit from Mercedes to compare. But as he says, Mercedes is probably using the same sub-supplier as the ones, I got from SLS. But we will see.....but curious if someone here has encountered the same issue.
« Last post by UTn_boy on Yesterday at 02:39 AM »
What is the interior trim code on the data card? 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10