Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Mechanicals / Re: What have you done for your W116 today?
« Last post by hamidagha on Yesterday at 01:14 PM »
Thanks to one of our members Nathan from Australia, I have finally got myself a drivers side mirror and installed it.
Mechanicals / Re: radiator
« Last post by Max-NL on Yesterday at 10:00 AM »
A couple of years ago we had the radiator of the 280S re-cored and repainted after an accident with a grinder. We found a company near Rotterdam which restores and fabricate radiators for cars (pre- and post war). Apparently the Mercedes-Benz Museum is a customer of theirs. If my memory serves me right it was about €400.

This company is somewhat close to you (Birmingham). Reviews also looks good. https://www.readyrads.co.uk/
Mechanicals / Re: radiator
« Last post by daantjie on Yesterday at 07:48 AM »
Any competent rad shop would be able to do this repair in a jiffy.  I am sure if you google you will find tons of shops relatively close by to you.  Likely they will also recore the rad while they're at it, makes no sense to repair the bottom tank and also not recore at the same time.  Can be a pricy affair so also check on local ebay, sometimes you get luckly with a NOS one listed for not too crazy money, only issue is shipping will be a bear and you risk damage of course...

For reference, I had the same job done about 7 years ago and it was almost 800 CAD :o  The guy did a stellar job though, so as usual you get what you pay for.

Cheers
Mechanicals / radiator
« Last post by Fergus on Yesterday at 07:32 AM »
Hello Colleagues

The garage has informed me that my 116  (1974 SE 280 automatic (no air con) needs a new radiator. There is an 'uncontrollable leak' from the bottom of the rad even with hose replacement. This may or may not be the case according to previous related forum threads.  Any suggestions gratefully received. The garage have yet to remove the rad so have no idea what the part number is. I understand rads can be reconditioned  - is there anyone in the UK who does it or is it  a case of buying a second hand one on line. Apologies for multiple questions.

Many thanks in advance

Fergus
Mechanicals / Re: Sump guard - 6.9
« Last post by patrickduval on Yesterday at 03:20 AM »
Can you sell this part to me?
Mechanicals / Which HT leads with Hot-Spark
« Last post by Nabstud on Yesterday at 03:02 AM »
I’m replacing my points with Hot-Spark electronic ignition in my 280S. I also need new HT leads.

Anyone done the same? If so which leads did you use?
Mechanicals / Steering lock shims
« Last post by daantjie on 02 August 2021, 11:37 PM »
Hi guys
I guess Covid boredom is leading me to delve deep into the FSM ;D
Anybody have experience with the shims added onto the frame stop for full lock in the steering linkage?
My car has them riveted on on both sides but the measurements are off compared to the service manual, hmm...All linkages in my steering and front suspension parts are new or close to it.
It (the shims) does not look spec from factory to my eye so I'm wondering if a past shop/tech added them on?
Any input appreciated as always.
Cheers
Mechanicals / Re: Trunk Fluid Reservoir
« Last post by 90077merc on 02 August 2021, 10:29 PM »
Wild.
Mechanicals / Re: What is this part called?
« Last post by rumb on 02 August 2021, 07:49 AM »
That is asinine of Google to do that.
[/quote]

A lot of what they do is asinine.  They just want to sell your info.   :o
Mechanicals / Re: What is this part called?
« Last post by UTn_boy on 02 August 2021, 07:28 AM »
The picture shows up as a gray circle with a slash through it.....am I missing something?

Not showing for me either - IIRC, images hosted on google photos don't show up for users not logged in (to google photos). I use Imgur for this reason.

That is asinine of Google to do that. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10