Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Shop / Electrical odds and ends
« Last post by raueda1 on Today at 08:00 AM »
Just looking for a few items for 1976 W116 chassis:

> console horn/fanfare switch.  Preferably horn icon oriented horizontally same as switch orientation

> "Generic" 5-prong relay socket used for all those 5-prong relays used in W116's. 
          Need 2.  Wires attached is best.

Will pay whatever is reasonable, and postage too of course.  If anybody can help I'd be forever grateful.  Please PM me if you can help.  Thanks!
Mechanicals / Re: 6.9 brake caliper questions
« Last post by daantjie on Today at 07:50 AM »
Part numbers for the rear:

1234200683/1234200583
I echo all what has been said so far as for tips.
I can also add to always start and think simple, especially with transmission woes.  As a first course of action, always drop the pan and "read" the situation.  Burnt fluid is always bad news and a sign of a terminal transmission.  If you see lots of sludge and metal flake and bits, ditto, bye-bye trans.  You can nurse it for a few more K miles, even more if you are lucky by dumping in fresh fluid and a bottle of Trans X, but this will just be a band aid.  Of course also change the filter.
If fluid is good and no/little sludge and debris then yes you need to start looking at modulator and control pressure adjustments.
If the only problem is the vacuum modulator, it is an external part that can be replaced. It may only be part of the problem. A bad modulator will cause white smoke and shifting problems, but I don't think it has anything to do with being able to move the car forward or backward. However, if the transmission fluid is low from it being sucked into the engine, that could cause the transmission to not engage.
Mechanicals / Re: Car restore
« Last post by Squiggle Dog on Today at 07:21 AM »
Since there is no turbo on the engine, it means it is naturally aspirated. You shouldn't bolt a turbo onto that engine because it's not designed for it--you would need to replace the entire engine with one that already has a turbocharger. The turbocharged 5 cylinders were built tougher to handle the extra power and heat.
« Last post by MBKOG on Today at 05:53 AM »
Thank you all.  I have issues where I want original Mercedes Benz parts.  I originally asked the question because original calipers are no longer available for the 116.  I see that all original parts are available still for the front upgrade mentioned by Alec.  I will definitely go that route.  Thanks again!
Not necessarily, you would need to continue troubleshooting.

I would pull the plastic cap off the modulator vacuum element and check for fluid loss.

Following that it could be low system pressure or blocked lines.

Are you checking the level at trans operating temp?

Tim
« Last post by TJ 450 on Today at 05:40 AM »
As recommended by Alec, the only upgrade worth considering is the 2nd gen 126 big brakes up front. The rears are best left as standard.

Tim
« Last post by Alec300SD on Today at 01:11 AM »
I did a bolt on brake upgrade using stock parts (from the second generation W126  for the front,  and W123 wagon calipers for the rear) on my 79 W116 300SD. Part numbers are listed in the link below for your ready reference.

The front brake upgrade requires using at least 15 inch rims due to caliper clearance issues.

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/391586-w116-brake-upgrade.html
Mechanicals / Re: Car restore
« Last post by mistick on Yesterday at 11:55 PM »
Wow, someone installed a naturally aspirated 5 cylinder OM617 diesel engine! Very creative, but it's not the first time I've seen this done. The good news is that since it already has a 5 cylinder diesel in there, upgrading to a 5 cylinder turbo diesel engine would be easy. Otherwise you could put in a V8 gas engine,

I like ur ideas bro, but hw did u know that its an aspirated 5 cylinder? hw do we go about the upgrade of the turbo, can u guide me? (u can use the pics share to show me) the mechanic told me that a new engine will cost me around 1500$, so if i can overhaul it and add a turbo for less than that why not !! am up for it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10