Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Auto Torque / Re: TJs new 6.3
« Last post by nathan on Yesterday at 09:39 PM »
well underway but Tim forget his password and hasn't been able to get hold of moderator to re approve him so he cant log in!
Shop / Re: Becker Europa for sale
« Last post by rumb on Yesterday at 02:11 PM »
Reminds me of lawnmowers.  Some idiot decided to pick his up and trim the hedge with it. Doing so of course cut his fingers off, so the mfg started putting a label on it telling you not to pick up a running mower.... :o

I once was in Mexico and the hotel door had a label saying  "Not responsible for Values left in room".  Wasn't even near to Vegas.
« Last post by UTn_boy on Yesterday at 12:45 PM »
Just dropping in to say I recently installed the Mexico that was in the ‘76 450SEL in my sons ‘83 300SD. He very much approves of the chrome and black esthetic. Too bad I gave the knobs away years ago. Still looking for the tone/city knobs.

Michael

Those two rear knobs on the Mexico and Grand Prix are for base/treble (behind volume knob), and the other one (behind tuning knob) is for sensitivity of the self seeking function.  There were three positions....Country (for maximum sensitivity), Suburb (medium sensitivity), and City (weak sensitivity).  There were no tone controls on these radios. The early Mexico and Grand Prix did not have those words printed on the dial scale.  In addition to the fader control (front to rear) The Europa II stereo versions had a speaker balance (left to right) knob behind the tuning knob.  Mercedes and Egon Becker both assumed that people would read the directions to know what all of the knobs did.  When they discovered that people weren't reading the directions they decided to literally start labeling everything. 

This is reminiscent of what they had to to for the heater controls on the W108 and W109 cars.  The Americans weren't aware (or seemingly inept) that a through description of the heater operation was in the owners manual.  So Mercedes had to start labeling what to put where for heat/defrost.....but only on U.S. cars.  After 1972 They started doing it to most models out of necessity.   
Interiors & Exteriors / Re: Sunroof Drain
« Last post by daantjie on Yesterday at 10:29 AM »
To check the rear drains park on an incline then pour water into the track.  It should run out quickly below the c pillar.
« Last post by ptashek on Yesterday at 06:24 AM »
Here's the frame. You can just about see the front drains in the left bottom/top corner. The rear drains are in then exact same spot on the opposite corner on either side.

« Last post by Papalangi on 24 September 2021, 06:17 PM »
Just dropping in to say I recently installed the Mexico that was in the ‘76 450SEL in my sons ‘83 300SD. He very much approves of the chrome and black esthetic. Too bad I gave the knobs away years ago. Still looking for the tone/city knobs.

Michael
« Last post by ptashek on 24 September 2021, 04:12 PM »
I cleaned my two front drains 1-2 years ago with a small "bottle brush" connected to a thin steel wire. Easy fix. The two at the rear I couldn't find :-(

An enthusiast warned me to be careful with compressed air. He mentioned that there is a hose inside connected to a pipe or flange that could be pressed off. If that happened I would be in deep trouble.

I'm not sure if that is the case. Anyhow, I used the brush.

That's certainly the case.

There is a metal pipe section, about 5cm long, in each corner and then a rubber hose slips over it. They're on very tight. I don't think compressed air would remove it, unless you go crazy with the pressure.

I have a pic of the frame somewhere, will post if I find it.
Mechanicals / Re: 6.9 K-jetronic rough and high idle cold start
« Last post by Jan S on 24 September 2021, 01:27 PM »
Yes, I have opened the file and started reading  :D

I will go step by step. The story will continue ......
Mechanicals / Re: 6.9 K-jetronic rough and high idle cold start
« Last post by raueda1 on 24 September 2021, 08:02 AM »
"1976 1979 Mercedes Continuous Injection System Diagnosis & Adjustment Manual" is in the technical library !!!  ;)
Yes, this. ^^^     I think this is, by far, the single most useful guide on the site as it applies to an enormous fraction of the issues discussed here.  Start at the beginning and work your way through in sequence.  Chasing specific problems such as this or jumping around will just make you nuts.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10