News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Your advice needed. To scrap or restore. A penny for your thoughts

Started by Jed, 10 December 2015, 08:42 PM

daantjie

Good luck Jed! Agree that the Euro provenance makes it worth saving but perhaps not in its current condition. Safety first  8)
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

arcijack

I hope you keep the car and restore it, I made the mistake of selling pistons and rods from my rusty euro same color as yours,, because I felt it was to rusty to repair, but bought a mig welder and learned how to use it, with much trial and error i managed to bring the body back probably better than it was originally, i have a low mileage engine i could slap in the car but i want to keep it as original as i can so i plan to have pistons and new rods made and put them in the original block, at some point down the rd these cars will bring a good dollar, i paid 500.00 for car, shipped  to me for 1,400.00, after all said and done i will have about 10,000 in car, the hours of labor i put in is a mute point, i enjoy doing it, so my advice to you is keep the car and restore it,. i can sense in your comments you don't want to get rid of it, so keep it.

revilla

recently came across this article in MB club UK Gazette.  inspiring.  before/after pictures are amazing.  I can imaging the sense of satisfaction reached towards the end (if there's an end) and at each milestone of the process.  the source of energy to kick off this type of project is called passion.  it's never a financial driven decision with ROI's, positive cash flow, productivity and net present value calculations  -granted unless you do this for business like Sclass and Aaron.  the secret is to keep well hidden from the wife that long expenses sheet :)

Jed

Casey,
On second thought the velour seat coverings, while they match the door panels, are in such good condition that I suspect they may have been replaced at some point. I suppose I could pull the back seat off fairly easily and have a look underneath for clues.
Here are some more pics of the ash trays, and gauges.  I ma not sure what you are referring to 'below the gauges'?  The black radio dial.  I think that is some type of european radio station selector or something?  I am sure someone can clarify.  The cruise control is standard column mounted just like my 79 models, the extra switch on the console is for the fanfare horns.There are some interesting italian horns down below one of which is mounted to the skid plate that covers the 3 oil reservoir hoses. Also, the windshield washer sprayer is the standard column mounted type as well.   
1979 Mercedes 6.9 #5206 - restored
1979 Mercedes 6.9 #6424 - ongoing restoration
1976 Mercedes 6.9 #484 - restoration?

revilla

channel selector for German traffic info system of the 70's

daantjie

Timer in glove box is for the Webasto heater. Very cool  ;D
Daniel

Casey

I meant what is directly underneath the channel selector...there's some molded black thing there...

floyd111

Isn't there supposed to be a Becker Kurier instead of this Europa?

If you'd like a rust-free (yes, really..) W116,  I have a '76 450SEL in Astral Silver over mint blue leather interior....

oversize

Don't forget that you cannot simply transfer the 6.9 running gear into a regular 450.  Unless you ditch the hydro suspension which makes the exercise pretty pointless.  And you'd still have to modify the RF inner guard for the dry-sump tank.
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

rumb

I found the door ashtrays in EPC.  they are 0008102630

sorry NLA
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

s class

I have seen that ashtray option before in early euro 6.9's.  It must have been a special-request fitment though.

My red car also has the FIAMM air horns.  I'm going to say that for the most part, I think your car is all-factory. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Jed

Well gentleman, it has been an action packed conclusion to winter, spring and into summer....from a car perspective that is. I have kept very busy with a porsche 914 engine rebuild and light body restoration...getting ready to put the drivetrain in very soon.  Picked up a beautiful 73 280sel 4.5 that is wickedly original (in an effort to quench my taste for the elusive 6.3 that I just can't find yet) and I have just under 200 miles, street and highway in the '76 euro 6.9!

Yup, i must have blown 3 hydraulic metal lines before I replaced enough lines to keep the car up on all fours.
I had a real interesting day in the back lot behind my garage in the spring (my proving grounds) when the throttle got stuck (bad bushings and crusty linkage) immediately followed by me slamming on the brakes, blowing a hole in the metal brake line that runs to the rear of the car and having a near complete brake failure all at the same time....nearly shit my pants...
well, the brake lines are replaced, the throttle linkage is cleaned up, greased with new bushings, all the transmission linkages are rebushed (above and below the car). many many countless hours spent dialing things in to get the car running well.

All in all, #484 starts as well as my restored 6.9 and runs very smooth.  The power difference is DRAMATIC. Very crisp.  Most noticeable off the line.  But dramatically different from my other 6.9s.  I can honestly say that I truly enjoy driving this rust bucket around.  The torque is ridiculous.

I have since learned the rudimentary skills of welding,  patched in a couple smaller panels on the belly of my Ghia and I think I am going to go for it with #484.

I know, I know, it will never be worthwhile from a monetary perspective but like Brian said, I think the journey may be the reward. I have a body man /welder buddy who will help whenever needed. I plan to pull the rear end this fall/winter and do what I can to make the car a solid driver.

20 years ago I bought my karmann ghia which was barely a roller, and bought a book that literally changed my life (how to keep your volkswagen alive forever for the complete idiot) and the rest is history...engine rebuild, major body work, and a respray.  Anyway I still have the ghia, its my baby, and I am getting the same vibes from the 76 6.9.  I think I will learn a lot, and I am certain I will enjoy driving it.  I have no aspiration of making it a show car, but it will be a looker, I promise.  And did I mention how fast it is??!! I can open the tires up from a stand still every time and sometimes even in second gear. 

Anyway, thanks again for your advice and support. I will keep you updated.

jed
1979 Mercedes 6.9 #5206 - restored
1979 Mercedes 6.9 #6424 - ongoing restoration
1976 Mercedes 6.9 #484 - restoration?

daantjie

Nice work Jed!  You have been a busy beaver!  Where do you find the time?  Are you a reclusive billionaire like Howard Hughes or something ;D
I have not had the "pleasure" of a failing brake line but sounds like it makes you find religion in a hurry ;D  My 6.9 is in a hibernation of sorts after a prang in January :'(  So I will have to live vicariously! Word of warning on that tire spin on the 1-2 shift. Because of the limited slip diff both wheels can loose traction in a turn and then the fun starts. Don't ask me how I know...
Keep up the search for that 6.3.  If I am "allowed" to buy another Benz, then I will also would like a 6.3, or perhaps a nice W126 with full hydro.  They are so scarce here in Canada though.
Cheers
Daniel

ptashek

Thanks for the update, and keep us in the loop! I'm always glad to see one of these ladies getting the attention they deserve.
You're in for an adventure, but it looks like you have both the basic skill and more than enough will. What could possibly go wrong? :)

As for your throttle adventures... I hear you!
I, once, too had the pleasure of stuck throttle in my 450. On a polished concrete floor in a underground parking lot... It's hard to stop a rampant 370Nm of torque on tarmac, let alone on a mirror like surface.
The only thing that saved my bones, and those of the other four people in the car, was freshly run-in rotors and pads + quick thinking. Stopping half a car's length from a reinforced concrete wall was anything but fun. It ain't something I'd wish to anyone I think. I've been obsessively checking that damn linkage for proper operation ever since :)
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE