News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

"Y" piece for RHD 280S/SE/SEL

Started by powerglide, 11 April 2014, 07:52 PM

powerglide

Thanks to

1. Carl888 for telling how to solve 'sacrificial' "Y" piece engind pipe on the 280SE, and

2. KOAN for donating a s/h "Y" piece in very good condition.

Here's how it goes.  Carl mig welded the leak in the gusset while in situ on the car, and reports no problems since. He reports first running up the car to working temp and welding it hot.  I couldn't do that, but a friend with a mig welder ran a "V" bead up both sides of the gusset (can post a pic when I figure out how to do that from a Mac).  Next step is to fit it.  Didn't weld up the one on the car because it has blown out the bottom of the pipe.  May be repairable, but I suspect not.

Right hand drive 280s have this to clear the starter and steering box that together leave little space for  two engine pipes as found on LHD cars.  Apparently later K-jet cars have revised exhaust maniflolds that overcomes the clearance problem on RHD cars.

PG.
Powerglide

Adamp005

I just had mine replaced in Moss Vale, NSW with a local exhaust shop.
Went with dual pipe setup
Very inexpensive and looks / sounds great.
PM me if you want a contact number.
Adam

powerglide

Thanks, Adam.  I went into that with a pipebender here in Melb and when Koan came up with a 'Y' piece, I decided to go with that.  I'd be interested to see how your guy got over the space issue and proximity to the starter motor.  Any chance of posting a pic or two? - there will be others with the same dilemma. Price I was quoted was 'a couple of hundred or so' which I thought would be OK if the problem was fixed, but not particularly cheap.

PG.
Powerglide

Greg

Hi Guy's,
on my W116 280SE (RHD) I removed the original exhaust manifolds and fitted exhaust manifolds from a W123 280E; then its easy to have the two down pipes made.  ;)
Also there are no space issues, it cleares the starter and allow's free movement of the steering drop arm.  8)
Cheers
Greg
W108 280SE  (1970)
W108 280SE  (1971)
W116 280SE  (1977)

powerglide

Yes, and I have been told that manifolds from a K-Jet engine achieve the same. However, I have vague concours ambitions for my car ...
Powerglide

rob280sel

Mine has the extractors and dual exhaust.
Not a lot of room at all.
sometimes the exhaust knocks on the front X-member.

powerglide

Never liked tube headers - all those 'y' pieces ...
:-\
PG
Powerglide