Author Topic: WUR  (Read 160 times)

TNNBENZ

• Classic
  • Vintage Enthusiast
WUR
« on: 20 November 2021, 10:10 AM »
     Is the diaphragm plate on a WUR the small plate on bottom of WUR ? It may be the double diaphragm fasten plate ?
     Also is a gasket required to install the WUR to the engine ?
Neglected ~ Rescued ~ 1977 450SEL 4.5L  U.S.A. ver.
Project of Compassion ~ Respect
Silver Green Metallic / Toast
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

Randys01

• Classic
  • W116 Enthusiast
Re: WUR
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2021, 04:36 PM »
There is no gasket between the WUR and the mount on the motor....indeed it is reliant on the heat to warm up the WUR.
Now as for the diaphragm  I don't know what you mean?
By the way...there is no way you will get the fuel pressure right without a Test Gauge....and the chart of values.
Have you opened Pandora's box?  or is still in tact.?

TNNBENZ

• Classic
  • Vintage Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: 21 November 2021, 08:07 AM »
There is no gasket between the WUR and the mount on the motor....indeed it is reliant on the heat to warm up the WUR.
Now as for the diaphragm  I don't know what you mean?
By the way...there is no way you will get the fuel pressure right without a Test Gauge....and the chart of values.
Have you opened Pandora's box?  or is still in tact.?
     I have a 1977 & 1979 WUR.   I opened them both but other than check the ohms in each warm up strip that is all I have done.  Ohms checked within specs !!! I have a fuel system tester for C I S Mercedes 1976 & up, and a refresh kit for the 1977. The old gasket definitely looked dried up. There s a good looking one in kit, from Kbiz in Australia.  I have a factory Benz M117 manual. Will these work for the fuel pressure regulation ? Hopefully you can help with the fuel calibration if these work !!!
     I had considered asking on forum if there was a way to clean WUR without taking all the parts apart.  I did see a guy say he had a hard time getting his right after doing a rebuild on a youtube video. He may have mofified his to supposedly be adjustable.   Some of all I have seen & read gets a little confusing because I have been researching this restart/restore for a year............
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

Randys01

• Classic
  • W116 Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: 23 November 2021, 07:24 PM »
Pulling a WUR apart is chapter in its own right. :o
You either become full bottle on them and forensically pull it down..replace..etc OR for the time being leave well enuff alone. Unless it is really stuffed it will work of a fashion.
That's the trouble with these babes..they will work faithfully for years, slowly degrading but still working. It's when you want them a 100pc the fun begins.

The CIS tester is all you'll need. The workshop manual should cover the procedure inc the fuel pressure tables.

TNNBENZ

• Classic
  • Vintage Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: 24 November 2021, 08:58 AM »
Pulling a WUR apart is chapter in its own right. :o
You either become full bottle on them and forensically pull it down..replace..etc OR for the time being leave well enuff alone. Unless it is really stuffed it will work of a fashion.
That's the trouble with these babes..they will work faithfully for years, slowly degrading but still working. It's when you want them a 100pc the fun begins.

The CIS tester is all you'll need. The workshop manual should cover the procedure inc the fuel pressure tables.
     Good advice to follow. I will just use new gasket and maybe clean a little, plus, I am running out of time !!!
Then hopefully car will at least start !!!
I am a bit of a perfectionist & hate doing things twice.  This is why I get carried away and overdo some jobs when I should slow down & relax & see what happens........ :P Difficult to know when to stop sometimes.......
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

Randys01

• Classic
  • W116 Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: 24 November 2021, 01:50 PM »
" Nothing is invented and perfected at the same time".......you will come to understand the wisdom of these words as you work your way thru the mire.!