News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

WUR full of oil and grime - 280SE 1977

Started by Seb, 13 September 2021, 10:38 PM

Seb

Hi friends,
I just took apart the WUR on my 1977 280SE that I bought as a non-runner and when I opened it up it was filled with oil and gritty dirt. Do you know what would have caused this and how I can prevent it from happening in the future?
Appreciate the help.
Cheers
Seb

daantjie

Oof that's nasty :o
Likely you have a leak from the fuel cell inside the WUR.  You can buy rebuild kits on ebay, I think there is actually a guy in Oz selling, kjetbiz I think is the name of the outfit.  Pretty easy if you are halfway competent.  Also good vids on youtube, search under Porsche Warm Up Regulator.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Seb

Thanks for the reply.
I will def rebuild this wur and I know of the guy here in Oz that supplies the correct parts.
So do you think the red oil could be coming from the fuel and all the gritty dirt from a disconnected vacuum line potentially? I want to make sure I won't have the same issues in the future.
Thanks

daantjie

Quote from: Seb on 14 September 2021, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the reply.
I will def rebuild this wur and I know of the guy here in Oz that supplies the correct parts.
So do you think the red oil could be coming from the fuel and all the gritty dirt from a disconnected vacuum line potentially? I want to make sure I won't have the same issues in the future.
Thanks

I would say yes more than likely.  There is a small o ring in the fuel cell which can leak fuel.  Could also be varnish buildup over the years so might not be a bad idea to go over the fuel system and replace old fuel hoses and so on.  Maybe run some fuel system cleaner through as well.
Daniel

Seb

revilla

No. The oil is coming from the vacuum hose that connects to the intake manifold. You can add a 'T' in that hose connected to a clear hose and you will see the oil dripping slowly.
Retrofitting and cleaning the WUR won't take care of the problem. Oil will CERTAINLY come back to the inside of the WUR.

Seb

I was wondering if the oil was pushing through the vacuum hose, especially because the wur has the large diameter vacuum hose on top. Is there an underlying issue that I need to address to stop this or is it a design flaw? I watched some videos on YouTube of wur reconditioning and none of them were full of oil and dirt so I would assume there actually is a problem on mine that is causing this. I just don't have a clue what that could be.

daantjie

Whilst I agree that the gunk could purely be caused by oil vapour from blowby, I still think you could have a leak from the fuel cell.  What I would suggest is a thorough cleaning then reinstallation and to drive it a while, then see what's cooking.  Of course that could be buildup over years, but that looks like a helluva lot of oil via blowby, so I would think then you have bigger issues if you have that much oil vapour.  On the V8's the blowby gets funneled back to the valve cover, so to have that much oil still in the vacuum lines would be odd to me at least.  Just my 2c, happy to be corrected of course 8)
Daniel

ekipe

Check other vacuum-actuated parts on the car and verify if they are also soaked in oil, also you can run the engine and check if there is too much oil vapor coming from the oil filling cap when it is off. If so, maybe you have a very worn-out engine or someone has been using a too thin oil.

Seb

Quote from: daantjie on 14 September 2021, 10:34 AM
Whilst I agree that the gunk could purely be caused by oil vapour from blowby, I still think you could have a leak from the fuel cell.  What I would suggest is a thorough cleaning then reinstallation and to drive it a while, then see what's cooking.  Of course that could be buildup over years, but that looks like a helluva lot of oil via blowby, so I would think then you have bigger issues if you have that much oil vapour.  On the V8's the blowby gets funneled back to the valve cover, so to have that much oil still in the vacuum lines would be odd to me at least.  Just my 2c, happy to be corrected of course 8)

Thanks Daniel. The car is a non runner and I want to get it back into true road. Next step for me is to rebuild the fuel delivery system and try to get her running off of the tank. I will rebuild the wur and check it after some run time. Thanks for the advice

TNNBENZ

That K-jetbiz has giving me excellent service !!!!!!!!!!!
Neglected ~ Rescued ~ 1977 450SEL 4.5L  U.S.A. ver.
Project of Compassion ~ Respect
Silver Green Metallic / Toast
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof