News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

WTB 1978-80 300sd instrument cluster.

Started by MerchantMariner, 03 March 2012, 01:16 PM

MerchantMariner

I really only need the Oil,temp,fuel guage and speedo ,but will buy the whole thing . Thanks

koan

Quote from: MerchantMariner on 03 March 2012, 01:16 PM
I really only need the Oil,temp,fuel guage and speedo ,but will buy the whole thing . Thanks

Speedos are geared to match the rear end ratio, if you get a complete cluster it has to be the right one.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Casey

I believe all '78-'80 300SD's used the same gear ratio.  There were two speedometer versions however - the '78/'79 one that goes up to 120mph and then the '80 one which only goes up to 85mph.

P.S.  this sort of post really belongs in the "Shop" section of the forum...

MerchantMariner

Sorry for the wrong forum post . While I'm hear is there any difference in oil psi gauges between the gas and diesel models. I thought I used a 107 gauge once.

koan

Quote from: Raptelan on 03 March 2012, 10:00 PM
I believe all '78-'80 300SD's used the same gear ratio.  There were two speedometer versions however - the '78/'79 one that goes up to 120mph and then the '80 one which only goes up to 85mph.

Just pointing out that any old W116 instrument cluster from ebay, like one from a 280 or 450 wouldn't work, or more precisely won't show correct speed and odometer readings.

M-B calibrate the speedo for different rear end ratios in the speedo head, most vehicles of the same vintage do it with different drive gears at the gearbox takeoff.

Oil pressure is oil pressure, should all be the same, except for markings, OIL, OEL, psi etc.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!