News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Wiper relay

Started by robparker, 11 February 2016, 08:09 AM

robparker

My wipers packed up, tried another switch I had lying around, wasnt that, fuse ok, dont suspect its the motor.. so... can you tell me where the relay is please? I cant find it? It doesnt appear to be behind the dials... but there was this relay just lying loose and without its cover under the dash, its a 5-pin.. could this be it?

6.9, 300SL, C43 + dog car

UTn_boy

I'm not sure of the differences in placement of the relay in question between right hand drive and left hand drive models.  The relay itself is a 7 pin relay and looks to be a bit bigger than the one you have dangling.  I see a lot of questionable wiring under you dash, too.  Make me wonder what all has been hacked up. 

Also, are you sure the wiper motor itself hasn't stopped? 

I've tried to load a picture for you, but the website keeps saying that my attachments fail security checks.  Go figure. 

1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

robparker

Someone at some point has fitted some sort of alarm, since disconnected but the wiring is still there.
Im not sure the motor hasnt packed up, but just in my experience of Mercs its unusual for one to just stop and more likely a relay problem.
As they are only £10 I have ordered one anyway, just need to find the thing.
Anyone any ideas what that dangling relay could be for then?

robparker

Ok to answer incase anyone else needs to do this.. the wiper relay is under the drivers side dash, but you cant see if, you need to reach up and feel it, about the same height as the cruise amp but over towards the outside of the car a little. This however didnt solve my problem.. so..

I took out the grille at the bottom of the windscreen and the problem was obvious... someone has replaced the motor before, but just cut off the cable and joined using those horrible plastic wire connectors- bad enough, but they then did nothing to protect those connectors from the water that would come in through that grille! I have kept the car under cover and not used it in the rain until a couple of days ago when it had to be left in the rain over-night... this just corroded the connectors. I have now cut them all off and soldered the wires together and covered them properly.. no more problem.

UTn_boy

I'm certainly glad you found the problem.  For future reference to anyone who is interested, when the wiper motor has to be replaced, the wire harness connected to it has to be unplugged from inside the dash and then pulled through the firewall with the grommet.  I can't believe someone actually cut the harness.  However, soldering the wires back together and correctly protecting them is the next best thing you could have done.  Good for you! 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo