News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Wiper Blades

Started by Alex, 11 May 2024, 08:10 AM

Alex

Hello.

The blades on my 280se, particularly the passenger side (RHD car), tend to jump and skip a bit when wiping.
Any advice on how to possibly lubricate it or adjust it so it doesn't do this as much?
I say this, because when I press in the stalk and spray wiper fluid on the windscreen, it glides easily.
Is this something I can fix without replacing parts?

Or, does anyone know how and where to get and install new blades?

Cheers.

ptashek

The blades are possibly ripe for replacement.

If you want the more traditional Mercedes look, go for Bosch DirectConnect 40519 and 40518. For a more modern "naked blade" look go for Bosch Evolution 4819 and 4818. Both are equally as good. The size is 480mm and 460mm (19" / 18"). They're very easy to fit. There's a tab you have to press in where the blade slides into the arm, then pull the blade out, install in reverse.

Two more things you could try. First would be to clean and re-lubricate the wiper mechanism. It's a tedious job to take it out, but could help. But unless the mechanism is not moving well with blades off the windshield, that's probably not where the issue is.

The other option is polishing your windshield. Wash and degrease first, then clay bar, then standard bodywork polisher + glass polishing compound. Give it an honest couple hours, clean the pad often, and it could make a world of difference.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

Alex

Cheers for the response;
Does the blade replacement require the replacement of the entire assembly? Or can I just replace the rubber strip and trim a new one to size?

https://handbook.w116.org/cd/Chassis/82-625.pdf

Is this the right thing? Where does one buy just the rubber profile, and is it difficult to do?

rumb

If you have the original silver blade holders then keep the and use just the rubber.

You can buy 40518 and remove the rubber.
I have seen just the rubber sold seperately but have no pn.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Randys01

Giving the glass itself a superclean as per advice is an often overlooked /overdue treatment particularly with old screens. As for the wiper blades, taken them/the car to Supercheap who will select and fit them up . They do it all the time and have the caper down pat.

Alex

Quote from: Randys01 on 14 May 2024, 06:28 PMGiving the glass itself a superclean as per advice is an often overlooked /overdue treatment particularly with old screens. As for the wiper blades, taken them/the car to Supercheap who will select and fit them up . They do it all the time and have the caper down pat.
Cheers mate, I'll do that when I get a chance.

Rolo

I had the same problem and it was the black plastic spacer/clip in the blade had worn and was allowing the blade to flop around.  I switched to Autozone Bosch plastic blades until I couldn't stand the look and bought an OEM blade in matt stainless.  Not cheap.