News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Wiper Blade Heater

Started by benzjarr, 26 December 2012, 03:19 PM

benzjarr

I'm back with another c126 question (feel free to tel me to stop)
When my engine is at full temp and setting atidle only I smell a bit of coolant through the vents, no leaks and I've driven over 300 miles this last weekend and havnt lost any coolant (or non that I can see) I've ran my defrost to see if im getting any coolant residue on the wind sheild and thats negitive as well. Ive heard it could be from the wiper blade heater? Any ideas or do you think its the first signs of a bad heater core or head gasket :-[

Tony66_au

Washer nozzle heater?

I get this smell with my W124 TE Wagon (Actually S124) occasionally and usually during hot weather mid 30's (Around 100 F) and I found it was just a bit of coolant from the overflow pipe.

shadetree77

the washer nozzle heaters are electric on the w126/c126. there is a heat exchanger on the bottom of the front windshield that uses engine coolant (two hoses (i think you have to take the cover of the windshield wiper assembly off to see it). it's possible that there's a small leak there (the fresh air intake is in that general area too). could be coming from somewhere else too as Tony66 mentioned. if you can only smell it in the winter time then i might check everything from the monovalve forward
1979 300SD
1983 300SD
1991 420SEL

benzjarr

Ill put a pressure test on it
its a 200k miles + car are headgaskets or heater core common to go out