News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Windshield Washer Does Not Work...

Started by andy77, 24 November 2009, 11:57 PM

andy77

My windshield washer does not spray...any ideas of what it could be?

Thank you

SELfor50

Are the water pipes connected?

Can you hear the motor / pump going when you hit it but no water is coming out?

Is there water in the reservoir?  (you'd be surprised!)

could be anything related to the piping / water / pump etc...

Have you done any troubleshooting at all?

Cam.

TJ 450

I would check the water level and failing that, the pump is probably seized. The pump can be serviced by removing the gears and cleaning/lubricating them. It is slightly difficult to access though, being behind the suspension fluid reservoir.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

andy77

When I press the button to apply the washer fluid, I don't hear any motor trying to do anything

What is the easiest solution to fixing this problem...Most cost effective...

Thanks!

Big_Richard

the VDO washer pumps seize up internally from hard water and wear, check that 12v is getting to it when you activate it, if so and its dead, pull it apart and clean it out, or simply replace it.

SELfor50

Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 25 November 2009, 09:24 AM
the VDO washer pumps seize up internally from hard water and wear, check that 12v is getting to it when you activate it, if so and its dead, pull it apart and clean it out, or simply replace it.

PB, your neighbours have chickens??!!  :o :o

Big_Richard

Quote from: SELfor50 on 25 November 2009, 04:45 PM
Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 25 November 2009, 09:24 AM

PB, your neighbours have chickens??!!  :o :o

Yep, And i don't know when they magically appeared either, last time i was working on my 6.9 i could hear bok bok bok begerk, repeatidly, and wondered, WTF is that noise - then the smell of sh%t upon closer investigation made it all clear ;)

SELfor50

Hahaha... "bok bok bok begerk".. that's probably the most grammatically correct chicken sound i've read.  ;D