Garage > Mechanicals

Windscreens Removal/Install

(1/4) > >>

TNNBENZ:
    :)   :)   :)  Help, help......... :D   
     A friend says he will help me this week  install my back windscreen,  hopefully he will also help do the front if I have much of the work done before he arrives. 
     I need any & all tips & advice on how to do this easily,  ;)  ::)  ;)  Trim removal, gasket removal, etc...etc...  I have 2 great looking URO gaskets.  Will post part numbers later to double check if they are correct ones......... :)

TNNBENZ:
  May should have posted this in Exterior............ ???  ::)  :o

TNNBENZ:

--- Quote from: TNNBENZ on 09 November 2021, 01:04 PM ---  May should have posted this in Exterior............ ???  ::)  :o

--- End quote ---
I posted this in EXTERIOR........ ;)

UTn_boy:
Everything you need to know  about the front glass is here in this video.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4hAT0aSIyM.  The only thing I caution against is using cheap seals.  The last 7 or 8 URO seals I've tried to install (for customers) I had to throw in the garbage. 

There is an unwritten rule related to the aforementioned that needs to be more commonplace........When it comes to rubber, suspension, and internal engine and transmission parts, never ever buy aftermarket.  Three years ago I watched a stubborn friend try to install a URO front glass seal in his W116, and he ended up cracking his front glass.  He had to then buy a new glass. The seal was too big in that it didn't want to fit into the opening in the car. He forced it. Hence, the cracked glass.  So he bought a new glass, another URO seal, an had a professional glass ship install it this time.  But guess what happened.....again? The glass cracked because of the seal.  Even with a professional glass shop doing the work URO refused to compensate for anything.  But do as you wish, though.  Just offering a fair warning. 

The rear glass is pretty much installed in the same way, but you have to cut holes in the rubber seal to allow the wires for the heated glass to go through.  Make sure you keep your old seal so you know where to put the holes.  Be sure to remove the rear rail for the parcel shelf, the "C" pillar panels, and the upper center roof rail trim. 

And last, be sure to use the proper sealant between the car and the seals, and between the seals and the glass (after installation).  Otheriwise water will leak in, even with new seals.  Mercedes didn't use sealant for the fun of it.  It's there for a reason.  The sealant is still available from Mercedes for little money.  It goes in any caulking gun you can buy at any home improvement store.  The part number for the sealant is 001-989-31-20. 

The actual process would require a reply the length of a novel, and no one wants to type that much.  Have a look at the youtube video and decide for yourself if you're comfortable with doing the job or not. 

TNNBENZ:

--- Quote from: UTn_boy on 10 November 2021, 08:46 AM ---Everything you need to know  about the front glass is here in this video.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4hAT0aSIyM.  The only thing I caution against is using cheap seals.  The last 7 or 8 URO seals I've tried to install (for customers) I had to throw in the garbage. 

There is an unwritten rule related to the aforementioned that needs to be more commonplace........When it comes to rubber, suspension, and internal engine and transmission parts, never ever buy aftermarket.  Three years ago I watched a stubborn friend try to install a URO front glass seal in his W116, and he ended up cracking his front glass.  He had to then buy a new glass. The seal was too big in that it didn't want to fit into the opening in the car. He forced it. Hence, the cracked glass.  So he bought a new glass, another URO seal, an had a professional glass ship install it this time.  But guess what happened.....again? The glass cracked because of the seal.  Even with a professional glass shop doing the work URO refused to compensate for anything.  But do as you wish, though.  Just offering a fair warning. 

The rear glass is pretty much installed in the same way, but you have to cut holes in the rubber seal to allow the wires for the heated glass to go through.  Make sure you keep your old seal so you know where to put the holes.  Be sure to remove the rear rail for the parcel shelf, the "C" pillar panels, and the upper center roof rail trim. 

And last, be sure to use the proper sealant between the car and the seals, and between the seals and the glass (after installation).  Otheriwise water will leak in, even with new seals.  Mercedes didn't use sealant for the fun of it.  It's there for a reason.  The sealant is still available from Mercedes for little money.  It goes in any caulking gun you can buy at any home improvement store.  The part number for the sealant is 001-989-31-20. 

The actual process would require a reply the length of a novel, and no one wants to type that much.  Have a look at the youtube video and decide for yourself if you're comfortable with doing the job or not.

--- End quote ---
     Thank-you for such a great detailed explanation !!!  Sometimes I over think things because there is so much conflicting information online @ different forums etc..........I must admit some are very correct & others are iffy.....The recent good luck buying bargains lowered my suspicion of " it seems too good to be true it probably is !!!  The seals were $39 for front & back I believe, it has been a while, I am almost positive that was the price. That is why I took a gamble. It was Many many, many, moons ago !!!  I have learned mucho stuff since then.  After your excellent advice I will seriously & probably not use these seals. I cannot afford $500.00 for 2 seals from Mercedes. Are they still available ?
      My front glass has bubbles between the laminate in the very corners.  It is saveable ?  I have the car covered & no water is getting to windscreen, I think ???  I ask because if the windscreen will eventually need replacing I may go ahead & use these seals until I get a proper one... I also need at least 2 trim clips in back & I currently cannot remove the plastic cover on the front chrome pieces to remove the windscreen !!!!!!!!!!!! 
       I may just RAT-ROD THIS MERC OUT  !!! 8)  8)  8)   PUT A ROLLS AIRPLANE ENGINE N IT .............OR a blown LS... Already got some Kool  17"wheels......... 8)
I have found a donner car but the price is too high @ the moment...
      Any advice on the clips replacement ????????
      Any advice is always welcome........Come on in ......sit down .... take your shoes off..........ya'll come back now u'hear... 8)  8)  8)
Toyota even.............

I think it maybe a jealous foreign conspiracy to overthrow Merc owners !!!  ;D  ;D ;D  ;D   lol........

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version