News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Windscreens Removal/Install

Started by TNNBENZ, 09 November 2021, 03:59 PM

TNNBENZ

:)   :)   :)  Help, help......... :D   
     A friend says he will help me this week  install my back windscreen,  hopefully he will also help do the front if I have much of the work done before he arrives. 
     I need any & all tips & advice on how to do this easily,  ;)  ::)  ;)  Trim removal, gasket removal, etc...etc...  I have 2 great looking URO gaskets.  Will post part numbers later to double check if they are correct ones......... :)
Neglected ~ Rescued ~ 1977 450SEL 4.5L  U.S.A. ver.
Project of Compassion ~ Respect
Silver Green Metallic / Toast
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

May should have posted this in Exterior............ ???  ::)  :o
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

Quote from: TNNBENZ on 09 November 2021, 04:04 PM
  May should have posted this in Exterior............ ???  ::)  :o
I posted this in EXTERIOR........ ;)
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

UTn_boy

Everything you need to know  about the front glass is here in this video.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4hAT0aSIyM.  The only thing I caution against is using cheap seals.  The last 7 or 8 URO seals I've tried to install (for customers) I had to throw in the garbage. 

There is an unwritten rule related to the aforementioned that needs to be more commonplace........When it comes to rubber, suspension, and internal engine and transmission parts, never ever buy aftermarket.  Three years ago I watched a stubborn friend try to install a URO front glass seal in his W116, and he ended up cracking his front glass.  He had to then buy a new glass. The seal was too big in that it didn't want to fit into the opening in the car. He forced it. Hence, the cracked glass.  So he bought a new glass, another URO seal, an had a professional glass ship install it this time.  But guess what happened.....again? The glass cracked because of the seal.  Even with a professional glass shop doing the work URO refused to compensate for anything.  But do as you wish, though.  Just offering a fair warning. 

The rear glass is pretty much installed in the same way, but you have to cut holes in the rubber seal to allow the wires for the heated glass to go through.  Make sure you keep your old seal so you know where to put the holes.  Be sure to remove the rear rail for the parcel shelf, the "C" pillar panels, and the upper center roof rail trim. 

And last, be sure to use the proper sealant between the car and the seals, and between the seals and the glass (after installation).  Otheriwise water will leak in, even with new seals.  Mercedes didn't use sealant for the fun of it.  It's there for a reason.  The sealant is still available from Mercedes for little money.  It goes in any caulking gun you can buy at any home improvement store.  The part number for the sealant is 001-989-31-20. 

The actual process would require a reply the length of a novel, and no one wants to type that much.  Have a look at the youtube video and decide for yourself if you're comfortable with doing the job or not. 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

TNNBENZ

Quote from: UTn_boy on 10 November 2021, 11:46 AM
Everything you need to know  about the front glass is here in this video.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4hAT0aSIyM.  The only thing I caution against is using cheap seals.  The last 7 or 8 URO seals I've tried to install (for customers) I had to throw in the garbage. 

There is an unwritten rule related to the aforementioned that needs to be more commonplace........When it comes to rubber, suspension, and internal engine and transmission parts, never ever buy aftermarket.  Three years ago I watched a stubborn friend try to install a URO front glass seal in his W116, and he ended up cracking his front glass.  He had to then buy a new glass. The seal was too big in that it didn't want to fit into the opening in the car. He forced it. Hence, the cracked glass.  So he bought a new glass, another URO seal, an had a professional glass ship install it this time.  But guess what happened.....again? The glass cracked because of the seal.  Even with a professional glass shop doing the work URO refused to compensate for anything.  But do as you wish, though.  Just offering a fair warning. 

The rear glass is pretty much installed in the same way, but you have to cut holes in the rubber seal to allow the wires for the heated glass to go through.  Make sure you keep your old seal so you know where to put the holes.  Be sure to remove the rear rail for the parcel shelf, the "C" pillar panels, and the upper center roof rail trim. 

And last, be sure to use the proper sealant between the car and the seals, and between the seals and the glass (after installation).  Otheriwise water will leak in, even with new seals.  Mercedes didn't use sealant for the fun of it.  It's there for a reason.  The sealant is still available from Mercedes for little money.  It goes in any caulking gun you can buy at any home improvement store.  The part number for the sealant is 001-989-31-20. 

The actual process would require a reply the length of a novel, and no one wants to type that much.  Have a look at the youtube video and decide for yourself if you're comfortable with doing the job or not.
Thank-you for such a great detailed explanation !!!  Sometimes I over think things because there is so much conflicting information online @ different forums etc..........I must admit some are very correct & others are iffy.....The recent good luck buying bargains lowered my suspicion of " it seems too good to be true it probably is !!!  The seals were $39 for front & back I believe, it has been a while, I am almost positive that was the price. That is why I took a gamble. It was Many many, many, moons ago !!!  I have learned mucho stuff since then.  After your excellent advice I will seriously & probably not use these seals. I cannot afford $500.00 for 2 seals from Mercedes. Are they still available ?
      My front glass has bubbles between the laminate in the very corners.  It is saveable ?  I have the car covered & no water is getting to windscreen, I think ???  I ask because if the windscreen will eventually need replacing I may go ahead & use these seals until I get a proper one... I also need at least 2 trim clips in back & I currently cannot remove the plastic cover on the front chrome pieces to remove the windscreen !!!!!!!!!!!! 
       I may just RAT-ROD THIS MERC OUT  !!! 8)  8)  8)   PUT A ROLLS AIRPLANE ENGINE N IT .............OR a blown LS... Already got some Kool  17"wheels......... 8)
I have found a donner car but the price is too high @ the moment...
      Any advice on the clips replacement ????????
      Any advice is always welcome........Come on in ......sit down .... take your shoes off..........ya'll come back now u'hear... 8)  8)  8)
Toyota even.............

I think it maybe a jealous foreign conspiracy to overthrow Merc owners !!!  ;D  ;D ;D  ;D   lol........
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

I have the same post in Exterior/ Interior Section.  I apologize.........I was n a hurry.........Hey I am learning........ ;)   ::)   ;)   
     It may be  posted in THE "saving time" post I do not know, this has beeen very hetic day with almost all bad results I do apologize for the confusion, NOW i AM NOT SURE i EVEN POSTED MY TROUBLE WITH REMOVING THE PLASTIC TRIM PIECE.   ALL I KNOW IS THAT I FOLLOWED THE Mercedes manual  PERTAINING TO TRIM REMOVAL & IT IS not WORKING @ THE MOMENT.........
I am "DAZED & CONFUSED" my trouble removing the plastic front trim piece & missing @ least 2 back windscreen trim clips.......Will it ever end............. ???   :)   ???

~~~ MUCHO THANX 2 ALL ~~~
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

w123wrench

Hey

Hope I didn't catch this too late. You probably have the glass in by now.

My best tip is invest in one or two of the Orange double suction cup handles from Harbor freight. I've done three window seals now and they turn this into a one man job. You can pick up the glass alone safely with them and you can get into the car and pull the glass in with them after getting the glass in place.

The rest...use a lot of soap water. The first time I did it I was afraid of rust so I was sparing. It made things very hard. Be patient taking off and installing the metal trim.  It is easily damaged if you deform it too much. I install the trim with soap and water with the window and deal off the car.  Being outside the car gives the edge that extra little degree of freedom to easily slip it over the rubber.   So it's rubber on glass, trim on rubber, then assembly into car using suction cups. It took me awhile to figure that out.

I am not a 116 owner...yet. Ive done this on 123s and a 126. Ive heard on Peachparts that the 116 URO seals are problematic. Ive had good luck with the recent URO seals for the 123. However they are not as beefy as the MB OEM and they do not cover the masking lines of my cars' repaint. That is, the lip is too short to extend past the old seal's boundary. It's better than a leaky window but it is ugly.

Good luck.

TNNBENZ

Quote from: w123wrench on 16 November 2021, 08:47 AM
Hey

Hope I didn't catch this too late. You probably have the glass in by now.

My best tip is invest in one or two of the Orange double suction cup handles from Harbor freight. I've done three window seals now and they turn this into a one man job. You can pick up the glass alone safely with them and you can get into the car and pull the glass in with them after getting the glass in place.

The rest...use a lot of soap water. The first time I did it I was afraid of rust so I was sparing. It made things very hard. Be patient taking off and installing the metal trim.  It is easily damaged if you deform it too much. I install the trim with soap and water with the window and deal off the car.  Being outside the car gives the edge that extra little degree of freedom to easily slip it over the rubber.   So it's rubber on glass, trim on rubber, then assembly into car using suction cups. It took me awhile to figure that out.

I am not a 116 owner...yet. Ive done this on 123s and a 126. Ive heard on Peachparts that the 116 URO seals are problematic. Ive had good luck with the recent URO seals for the 123. However they are not as beefy as the MB OEM and they do not cover the masking lines of my cars' repaint. That is, the lip is too short to extend past the old seal's boundary. It's better than a leaky window but it is ugly.

Good luck.
w123wrench.............so glad 2 hear from u !!!  :)   :)   :)
No it is not 2 late. I am half asleep trying hard to finish many chores to get my poor Merc started after God knows how many years.    I was told basically not 2 use my URO gaskets., so I paused.  You have given me some hope.   How long have you had the  URO gaskets installed...........  I was told a guy installed 2 in a W116 & they both broke the windscreens.......I am so confused as 2 what 2 do............I think I may go for it...........how long yours been in ???
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

w123wrench

I have had my URO seals in 2-3 years on my 123. They're great. Pliable. They went in easy.

Not sure why they'd cause the window to break. Perhaps they're too tight on a 116? 

I have this recollection of somebody in the URO seal thread at peachparts complaining about his seals. Maybe the same guy.  The feeling I got was the 123 people were happy but the rare 116 guy was not.

If they're tight don't force it. With soap it should slip right in with a clothesline. I used telephone wire because I had a ton of it and it is more slippery than a clothesline.

I don't know what to tell you. It's not like we have many choices.

ETA - okay I've read the thread again.  It was the 126 rear seal guy who was mad. And he had done his job over a decade ago. The URO marketing guy actually lurks peach and posted to the thread. They e apparently gotten a 3D laser scanner recently and remade many of their parts for better fit.  I've noticed a big change in their parts in the last four years. Prior to that URO was abominable. Check back to see if your contact with the cracked window person did this recently.

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/406160-do-i-dare-use-uro-window-seals-4.html

TNNBENZ

Quote from: w123wrench on 17 November 2021, 08:53 AM
I have had my URO seals in 2-3 years on my 123. They're great. Pliable. They went in easy.

Not sure why they'd cause the window to break. Perhaps they're too tight on a 116? 

I have this recollection of somebody in the URO seal thread at peachparts complaining about his seals. Maybe the same guy.  The feeling I got was the 123 people were happy but the rare 116 guy was not.

If they're tight don't force it. With soap it should slip right in with a clothesline. I used telephone wire because I had a ton of it and it is more slippery than a clothesline.

I don't know what to tell you. It's not like we have many choices.

ETA - okay I've read the thread again.  It was the 126 rear seal guy who was mad. And he had done his job over a decade ago. The URO marketing guy actually lurks peach and posted to the thread. They e apparently gotten a 3D laser scanner recently and remade many of their parts for better fit.  I've noticed a big change in their parts in the last four years. Prior to that URO was abominable. Check back to see if your contact with the cracked window person did this recently.

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/406160-do-i-dare-use-uro-window-seals-4.html
I think maybe the two that cracked the windscreens there was maybe an underlying issue, as you said maybe it was installed to tightly.   I do not have time to elaborate, but I almost have no choice but 2 install the URO gaskets I have & pray to the GREAT SPIRIT  & MERCEDES BENZ GODS 2 BLESS ME WELL  ::)  ;)  ::)
THANK-YOU VERY MUCH, U HAVE HELPED MY PEACE OF MIND GREATLY............Maybe have help doom my windscreen but oh well..........ha...lol............ha :)  :)  :) 
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

UTn_boy

There were no issues at hand.  The URO seal was simply too thick.  The W123 URO seals have never really given any problems.  It's the W116 URO seals that don't fit.  And if you weren't aware, Mercedes still sells the front and rear glass seals for the W116.  You'll pay a minuscule +/- $120=$130 more (combined) for the Mercedes seals.  That' a small price to pay compare to what is at stake. 

And I'm not a member of the Peach Parts forum, I never have been, nor would I ever be......it's too full of know it all type people, misinformed people, and downright mean people whose sole mission is to discredit anyone, everything, and everyone regardless of what facts are provided.    There is even another forum or website that sends out a daily email highlighting something dumb or stupid someone has done or said on Peach Parts........it's quite the laughing stock of the Mercedes community.  I don't subscribe to that, either, but I get plenty of forwarded emails to me showing some of those emails.  Half the time I can't believe what I see or read. 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

ptashek

Some of the service tutorials on peach parts are pretty darn good. Helped me a few times sail through what seemed like a chore on my W124s.

Never followed the forums though.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

TNNBENZ

Quote from: UTn_boy on 17 November 2021, 04:58 PM
There were no issues at hand.  The URO seal was simply too thick.  The W123 URO seals have never really given any problems.  It's the W116 URO seals that don't fit.  And if you weren't aware, Mercedes still sells the front and rear glass seals for the W116.  You'll pay a minuscule +/- $120=$130 more (combined) for the Mercedes seals.  That' a small price to pay compare to what is at stake. 

And I'm not a member of the Peach Parts forum, I never have been, nor would I ever be......it's too full of know it all type people, misinformed people, and downright mean people whose sole mission is to discredit anyone, everything, and everyone regardless of what facts are provided.    There is even another forum or website that sends out a daily email highlighting something dumb or stupid someone has done or said on Peach Parts........it's quite the laughing stock of the Mercedes community.  I don't subscribe to that, either, but I get plenty of forwarded emails to me showing some of those emails.  Half the time I can't believe what I see or read.
As usual great information from you UTn_boy.   
     We all know, there are countless contradictions to issues & information about these cars !  Prime example just yesterday a friend ( who is an amazing amateur mechanic, his father was a transmission mechanic ) did not believe that the plastic housing of the Merc fuel injectors could cause a vacuum leak because there was no space between the 2 component.  I was trying to hurry and finish the hot rod  we were working on & could not remember that the injectors are air shrouded by the housing to improve the atomazation of the fuel, so there was some space between the injector & the housing. My housings have cracks in them so I told hi I was going to change them. He told me there was no to need, hence, the contradiction.
     To shorten this .........Most of  the negative reports of bad URO seals I believe !!!  I just know there are always 2 sides to every story ! , and many times people leave out some important info like the car had been wrecked or was in a hurry when we installed something,  or I one of my eyes was bandaged & I could not see good, or I had a103 fever when I installed the engine so I for got 2 put oil  in it....ha...
      The one about the two broken windscreens I believe, just I know there may have been a hidden issue that was unknown or over looked to the professional installer or he may have not been familiar with Mercedes seals........etc...etc...  I admit this is probably not the case,  but stranger things have happened.  This is why I called URO and asked there opinion, & other pertinent information !  Hope this explains to all why I ask so many questions, and may not be so quick to fully believe all the info I read here or elsewhere !!!  This is not easy, if it was there would not be so many neglected Mercedes in peoples driveways..............Good luck 2 All, & Blessing from the Mercedes Benz Gods.............ha ;)   :)   ;)
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

Nabstud

I need to do my front windscreen rubber (probably windscreen too) and from the research I've done I would not use a URO window rubber for my W116. I will be getting a genuine rubber, not cheap with freight to Australia but cheaper than having a windscreen potentially break using a URO.

I would take UTn_boy's word over the URO salesperson.

Your car your choice, let us know how you go!!!
1975 280S - Australian delivered

ptashek

Let's put it this way - this job is a nightmare even with the original seals, let alone with an imperfect reproduction.

I'm usually first to recommend aftermarket parts on par with, quite often, the same parts being sold by MB in a fancier package.

The notable exception being this windscreen seal. Do not get it from anyone else than MB themselves :)
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE