News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Window rubber advice

Started by guitarfallon, 24 July 2007, 04:02 PM

guitarfallon

I recently bought windshield rubber for my '77 450 SEL 6.9 .  The rubber seems to be too big even though the part numbers are correct.  It was made by Meyle Products from Germany.  I'm wondering if anyone has any advice before I return it.

alabbasi

Aftermarket rubber makes a difficult job of installing an MB windshield almost impossible.

Replacing the glass and the rubber by a pro costs around $250. If it was me, I would get someone else to do it.

All the best

Al
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

oscar

Hang on, I thought Meyle was OEM.

Guitarfallon, in a recent thread it seemed that MB were carrying the same part number for a different product.  I think the same goes for a few items like hood insulation, and I can't remember what else off hand.

Check the last two posts in this thread.

http://forum.w116.org/interiors-and-exteriors/lots-of-wind-noise-best-source-of-rubbers/msg22586/#msg22586
1973 350SE, my first & fave

SELfor50

The rubber's from Mercedessource - are they the OEM rubbers Oscar?

Cause i was contemplating asking you to chuck a set into the order you're placing - but decided to wait till next month and order all the door rubbers as well.

The quote i got from a supplier here in canberra was $196 EACH rear door rubber, $138 EACH front door rubber, $120 front windscreen & $137 rear windscreen.  Total = $925.00
It looks like i could get the whole lot from Mercedessource for bout $300 + freight.
Would this be the better way to go?

Cam.

oscar

I'll find out Cam.  They're made by Meyle too so I assume so.  I can't see if they've got a windscreen seal either so I'll check that out and get back to you as soon as I know.

SELfor50

oscar

Well!  Meyle are not OEM.  :'( He said OEM is only available thru dealers.

sclass bought some seals from the US recently and was happy with them.  Remember that thread?  I've asked him what brand they were http://forum.w116.org/interiors-and-exteriors/autohauz-door-rubbers-trim-etc-etc/15/

EDIT:  I forgot to mention the ones in the ad are for the SE version, SEL's have to be ordered in.

SELfor50

Thanks Oscar!!

I don't believe what the other's say about you, i reckon you're a top bloke!   ;) ;)

Cam.

oscar

Quote from: SELfor50 on 25 July 2007, 08:34 PM
I don't believe what the other's say about you, 

ya fuggin what?   :D :D

I have to clarify something else about OEM.  I haven't got the second email I received from mercedessource with me at work.  But he said something like "aftermarket" brands are sometimes third party suppliers to original components.  It's like Bosch making the injection systems for example.  Beru for ignition leads. Autohausaz stock Meyle seals and refer to them as OES "OEM (original equipment manufactured) and OES (original equipment supplied) many times are one and the same. OE, of course, is a more generic term that refers to the brand that came as original equipment on the car. Most auto manufacturers assemble cars from purchased components and manufacture only the sheet metal components. click this link to read more - http://www.autohausaz.com/html/auto_parts_shopping.html

Has anyone tried Meyle door seals?  Would you recommend them? 

I may just order an SE set to be the guinea pig. 

s class

Oscar, I've always been very particular about using OE parts.  Sure I've always bought bosch items direct from BOsch and ATE parts direct from Teves, and there is no doubt its identical tothe stuff sold at the dealership.  Things like suspension bushes and rubbers though are less clear.  I really don't know what to make of Meyle and a few others.  Is far as my deteriorating memory serves, I've never received Melye items via the dealership.  In many cases, the price differential between Meyle and the dealership is the difference between fixing what needs fixing and not fixing it. 

Here's an interesting one that's bothering me.  If you look at M110 waterpumps on Autohaus, they describe the LASO pump as 'alternate'.  OK fine, I didn't want 'alternate', I wanted OEM so I bought a pump at the dealerhip.  I was very excited, got home and opened the box and guess what 'LASO'.  How does this work?

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

oscar

Oh man that's cruel.  I wish I knew how it worked.  It'd be handy to know all the original suppliers. 
I don't have a local dealership.  Everything I buy is online or by phone apart from oil and spark plugs.  Oh and fuel.   I suppose most dealers are fluent in newer models but when you find out the hard way that some alternate parts don't fit the bill you'd expect they'd supply a part that is exactly the same as what was connected to the car originally. 

Early on I shunned the price of Beru leads.  I converted to silicone leads, 2 sets, (bad idea), then a Bosch set which was a 1/3 of the price of the Beru's.  But all up, I've spent more than if I had bought OEM Beru's in the first place.  The Bosch leads are too short in the suppressor insulation, leading to damage during servicing plugs unless you use a tool.  I've stuffed one so far.

bandolero posted recently of an OEM windshield seal which is different.  And I think that exposed another problem whereby the same part number is being used on either alternate brands or the original supplier has changed/updated/cheapened the original part with an inferior replacement. 

You learn the hard way as most of us will but what constitutes OEM is becoming hazy.