News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

window motors trouble

Started by olliparr, 14 August 2006, 02:08 PM

Denis

hi fellows

Styria has me intrigued also. The standard technqieus for limiting the motor movement are a micro-switch at teh end of the window travel or some current sensing electronic that cuts power to the motor momentarily when teh current is too high (as in when teh motor is pushing hard against a closed window).

Looking at the circuit diagram for the W116, I see no such devices; in fact, looking at the W126 circuit diagram there is none either  :o

I noticed that the W126 front windows do slow down in the last centimetre or so of window travel so something IS happening.

I have no experience with W116 window motors except that I have a set of window regulators that I cleaned and fixed (planning to fit them to my 350SE) and I do not recall seeing anything inside the motors.

So what styria says must be related to the internal motor design itself...or what else  :-\

Denis

Paris, France

Quote from: Denis on 30 August 2006, 08:39 AM
Looking at the circuit diagram for the W116, I see no such devices; in fact, looking at the W126 circuit diagram there is none either  :o

Indeed, the US Spec 126s are known for the rear regulators snapping the peice at the end of the arm because people don't let go of the switch.

s class

styria,

What is INOX?  Is that a brand name?  I would like to find and equivalent locally.

Thanks, Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

s class

styria,

Thanks for a decent, scientific investigation.  OK, if we accept that there is a cutout for the motor at the end-stop, I question if it is adjustable?  I ask this because it seems that the glass is forced up very hard at the top.  What I'm getting at is that the regulator mechanism is still subjected to  alot of force (perhaps excessive) before the cut-out comes into play.

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

BAR

Hi Styria

Written in a previous post was a description of the non-MB part: 
The component that included the motor and winding mechanism  (replacing the factory item).  This was of a completely different design, employing a system more like an electric radio antannae to drive the window up and down.

It did away with the regulator [gearbox and push-rod arm] and the factory motor.

The replacement motor looks to be the same design as the original unit, but works on the nylon toothed flexible 'rod'.

A samll benefit is that it weighs <1/4 that of the factory regulator and components.

It has served me well for over 3 years and even moves the window quicker than the factory regulator.  Now if only I could remeber the source for this.  If anyone can identify this unit and a source it would benefit the group at large.