News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Where does that oily engine mess come from?

Started by raueda1, 05 September 2019, 12:07 PM

raueda1

Public Service Announcement:
We've all seen it, replaced weeping hose connections, fixed leaks etc.  But yesterday I made a more surprising discovery.  In the course of pulling apart my engine it turned out that the bolts fixing the brackets for the steering pump, alternator and distributor were all shockingly loose.  A couple were just finger tight.  It seems that some of the mounting holes penetrate the block and are subject to oil seepage.  Ditto the distributor mounting flange, which was also seeping.   Some of these bolts are pretty buried and probably hard to reach with engine in the car.   

Hopefully I'm the only person with this problem, but I doubt it.  So, if you've got messy seepage driving you nuts, this would be a good place to look.  And there's also the obvious issue of safety.  Cheers,
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

daantjie

Interesting.  I noticed a weeping from the hydro pump which obviously occurred over many years, which lead to a lot of oiliness and grime around the PS pump bracket and such.  Hydro oil is so thin that stuff literally gets everywhere :'(
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

rumb

My 250S had an oil leak on the front of the engine. After removing some parts to find the leak, I discovered a pin hole in the block casting. Thorough cleaning and JB weld to the rescue.  ;)
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio