News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Wheels and Tyres 6.9

Started by koan, 17 October 2006, 06:09 PM

koan

I'm about to get my rims cleaned up and painted, and then treat them to a new set of tyres.

I'm sticking with the 14x6.5 rims, I don't like the look of big wheels on old cars.

First, anyone know how to get the correct silver paint colour? They are going to be painted by a professional but he wants to know the exact colour.

Second thing is what brand, size and type of tyres are we folks using in Australia?

Our tyre choice is a bit limited in Oz.

k

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

AMG69

Still think you should consider upgrading to 16 inch wheels; are you sure you think they look to Big? Have a look in the gallery at a range of cars with 15, 16 and even 17 inch wheels; I had Mercedes W124 / W140 10 hole alloys and they looked great (before I changed to 16 x 8 AMG Pentas). The huge advantage is the tyre availability - and handling ofcourse.  Anyway, I understand alot of people want the car exactly as it was new so if that's what you want then go for it! Sorry I'm not sure on paint code but someone here will know I'm sure; as for tyres - to suit 14 inch wheels - any quality Tyre Store should be able to recommend the best value for money; just ensure the rating is high enough to handle those 300 horses!
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

Des

You may also want to keep a lookout for 15 inch bundt wheels, there is 2 at the moment on ebay AU for sale.

BAR

If you are interested I have a set of 4 Bundts with Dunlop Monza tyres.  These are the original MB 14" rims and they are in excellent shape.  Tyres have done about 5,000 Kms.  Set can be had for <$500.

Sen a personal email if you are keen to buy.

s class

koan,

I have a lot of experience painting Bundts. 

You have two options :

Original MB silver-grey, or a modern 2-pack. 

I found a listing of paint codes and descriptions here www.paintscratch.com . I entered "1980" for the year, "Mercedes" for the car, and "all models" for the model.  Do the search and at the bottom of the list you find paint code G8081.  I have not yet tried this, but I think it looks like the closest thing I've ever seen to the 1970's MB satin silver-grey wheel paint.  I plan to use this on my next wheel project (15" Bundts!!)

Be aware that most (all?) paint supply places seem unaware of this paint and will recommned a standard 2-pack silver metallic plus clear coat, similar to what you see on any new aftermarket alloy wheel now.  That's fine and well if you're happy with it.  In the past this is what I've used and it has the advantage of being more durable and shiny looking, and easier to clean. 

Just look at any MB brochure photos from the 1970's or 1980's and you will see that the wheels are satin in finish, not modern 2-pack plus clear. 

FWIW, this was the case even as recent as my 1992 W140.  The spare wheel (alloy) is still in the original paint, while the 4 wheels on the car where refurbed by the PO in modern 2-pack plus clear.  I have VOWED to correct this back to G8081

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

koan

I've looked at cars in the gallery and the cars with big wheels look good but they are not to my taste and I do have a bit of thing about keeping the car original.

Are the 15 inch bundts aftermarket or MB?  I looked at some a couple of years ago and noticed they didn't have the steel reinforced bolt holes and was told MB didn't make a 15 bundt style wheel, they were all aftermarket. Anyone know if that's the fact?

All the info on the paint is good, I'm tempted by 2-pack and clear coat for its damage resistance but once again the originality thing gets me and I'll probably end up with the satin finish. Ryan, what sort of primer do you use on the wheels?

I suppose I'm really after tyre suggestions, no one has mentioned brands. There is currently one Michelin WXW tyre in the country and no delivery date for more so they are probably not the go, besides there must have been improvements in tyre design in the last 30 years.

Thanks to everybody for the good information, keep it coming.

Purple and gold clear coat .... ?

k.

Andreas

Dont wish to hijack this thread as I have found it useful as i need to fix up some original wheels for my 6.9...but has anyone got an Idea of what 16x9 pentas would be like on the 116. I can get a set which are 2 x16x9 and 2 16x8. They are in good condition Just polished. What would be a fair price for them?

Cheers Andreas

ps koan maybe get a set of both Original and not original dependng on your mood you can change the looks of your car! I am seriously thinking of doing this.
78 450 SEL Parting out
78 450 SEL Saving for parts
79 450 SEL 6.9  #5332
77 450 SEL 6.9 Euro # 1696
77 450 SEL 6.9 Euro #1577
78 450 SEL 6.9  # 4172
76 280 S     Manual Parting
80 280 SE  Possible Parts Car
74 350 SLC  Thinking converting to race

s class

koan,

I use the Stansox paint system. but Sikkens and Spies-Hecker are also good.  You must use an etch-type primer to bond to the aluminium.  I use Standox 1-K fillprimer which is a light grey.  Its etch, and has a slight body to it which helps cover blemishes in the aluminium once its rubbed. 

My fave tyres for the W116 are Bridgestone Turanza GR50 which were crisp, repsonsive and excellent in the wet, but don't give a harsh ride.  Sadly they are no longer available.  The cheaper Bridgestone B70 and B700 are no where near as good, but in any case I've just found out theyre also not available anymore. 

The only reasonable options I have in 205/70/14 are the new Michelin XM1 in H rated, but I'm not a Michelin fan, and some or other Yokohama model, but that looks more like a "general purpose" tyre than a luxury touring tyre that we require. 

So I'm switching to 15" Bundts where brigestone make both Turanzas and Potenzas in 225/60/15. 

For the low-down on 15" Bundts go to : http://members.tripod.com/~breastroker/MB_M100_15Wheels.html

I once read that Mercedes did at one time comission a limited number of OES 15" bundts for ambulances, bullet-proofed vehicles and other heavy duty applications.  I can't confirm this though.  However, as the link above shows, a number of manufacturers have made Bundts in 15", with or without MB blessing.  They come in a variety of widths and offsets.  The website above recommends ET23 or ET25 for W116, but I have ET23's and they stand too far out messing up the zero offset steering.  ET25 would be better, ET30 would be even better still if such a thing exists, but you would have to check carefully for clearance problems .

Ryan in South Africa.  (wishing I could get time to rub down my 15"s)

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Brian Crump

Fellow 116 aficionados,  I  admit that on my  450 I  like my steel wheels/stainless steel and body coded hubcaps.They are stock standard, as their maker made them 27 years ago, and developing a nice patina.
However, reading the past posts on this thread has caused me some concern. Will people think they look heterosexual (well some have been straightened and balanced)?
Regards,
Brian

koan

Thanks for all the words of wisdom, especially on painting.

I've found about a dozen 14" tyres, Michelin, Pirelli, Yokohama, Bridgestone, Toyo, couldn't find Continental in a suitable size.

What are your 235s Big Richard?

koan.

koan

I now have my wheels and tyres back and will put them back on today. I finally decided on the standard Michelin 205x14 more out of tradition than anything else.

I bought them from "The Tyre Solution" in Hawthorn, Vic, price was about the same as anywhere else but they showed a good attitude to us sometimes slightly obsessive old Merc owners!

k

koan

The tyres are Michelin XM1 205/70R14 98H which is just about as close to stock as you can get these days.

There is a 215/65  XM1 that I could have fitted but couldn't decide, in the end  a quick decision needed to be made as I needed to get the car mobile.

I need to get some work done on the body before I'm ready to show it in public. What I thought was a minor bit of rust at the front passenger jack hole turned out to be quite a bit more in the front part of the sill, the stone guard paint is excellent at hiding rust!

I took it for a quick trip round the block and it feels very nice which is good considering the amount of time and energy (don't mention money - please!) I've "invested" in/on it.

Current minor problem is brakes, It stops OK but the pedal goes down a long way.  Hoping a another session of bleeding will fix it.

k

carl888

Hey guys,

haven't been here for a while, hope you are all well.  I see some of you are referring to a 205/70-14 as OEM for the 6.9.  This is not the case, the OEM tyre is a 215/70-14 Michelin XWX.  At the risk of sounding like a snob, when I was looking for a 116 (And coudn't find a good one I'm sorry) the 6.9's I drove that were not on XWX's were noisy and vague in the steering.  That's why I put them on my 280 SE and it absolutely transformed the car in terms of noise, steering and ride quality. 

Regards,

Carl.

koan

You are right Carl, I just had a look at the "Owner's Manual" and it specifies 215/70VR14, only mention or 205 is under winter tyres, followed by a collection of letters Q, M and S in various combinations, no idea what they mean.

There was one XWX Michelin in Australia when I was looking.

k

carl888

Hi Styria,

Well, unless your steering box, tie rods, steering damper, upper and lower ball joints, anti-roll bar bushes and dampers are in excellent condition, it matters not what tyres you have on the car as you have found out.  You raise a good point about the state of the suspension and steering mechanisms and I was satisfied with the cars that I dove that they were in acceptable condition.

The XWX is unique in 70 series tyres currently available, it has a very stiff sidewall, and that it what gives it it's handling precision compared to every other 70 series tyre currently available.  The price is a problem I realise, but tyres really are like wine and women, life is way too short to experience a bad one!

Regards,

Carl.