News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Wheel shake, harder than vibration, when turning on highway

Started by sshanky, 18 November 2010, 12:20 AM

sshanky

This was not happening when I got the car a few days ago and drove it 2-1/2 hours from Flagstaff to Phoenix at speeds up to 75 MPH, nor this morning; but this afternoon, while driving home, I noticed a sort of severe front end wheel shake or fast bounce, on smooth pavement, on curves on the interstate. I had to ease speed down to 55 or so for it to stop. Almost like an harmonic oscillation started. I suspect it's the suspension but I'm no expert. The car does seem to need new shocks. Is there an easy way to test it? Thanks!

cejpat

I recently solved this in my 79 300SD:

bad alignment.

didn't help that the tie rods needed replacing.

by the time i got these 2 items done, front tires were balding.

now riding on new michelins.

rides smooth as silk to 100 and beyond.

World of difference from "death rattle"

sshanky

bet that's what i have to do. i'm gonna get it put up on a lift in the next few days and figure it out. thank you for your reply.

s class

How old are the tyres?  Old tyres can start delaminating and go out of round - even though they look fine to a visual inspection.  It can cause horrible wobble-type vibration (and is of course dangerous)

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

sshanky

They need to be replaced badly. I will do that today or tomorrow.