News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

What's this? re: igniton wires.

Started by oscar, 02 July 2005, 07:27 AM

oscar

Circled by a light green circle you'll see a black round thing and a brown thing.  The black thing surrounded No.1 igniton wire and is connected to the brown thing by the grey coloured wire.  The brown thing has a wire then going to the ignition coil (I think).  The brown thing is a plug when the top half is unscrewed.  

My wild guess is that it's all used for an MB timing light.  Having the black thing off No.1 lead seems to have no effect.  As you can see there's a mix of wires off the distributor which will be replaced soon, but I'm wondering how are you supposed to get the black ring around No.1 wire considering the new wires will have suppressors and other ends already attached?
1973 350SE, my first & fave

oscar

I've left a better pic of the round black thing which the No.1 lead used to go through the hole.

Styria,  I've left a pic of some suppressors.  All are BERU.  The three on the left were those affected by brake fluid when the master cylinder leaked.  Originally, at least 6 wires were the same with the following markings:

BERU
W Germany
ZLE 121
1k ohm

The orange coloured plug, don't know what it was doing under the bonnet but it's markings are:

BERU
Germany
BAL 4/14/5p
It doesn't specifically mention resistance.

The last on the right is being used by No.6 cylinder (which is the one I recorded the lowest compression and also had half the plug thread stripped)

BERU
W Germany
W BAK 4/14/5
5k ohm

The distributor rotor also has a 5k ohm marking on it. Don't know what I'm suppose to have but new leads are the way to go.  Regardless send me a price if you like I'm definitely interested.  Do you operate a store? Is it possible to pick up?  My email's in the Memberslist.  Cheers.

tinker

From your description I would agree that the 'black thing' is probably an inductive device to measure rpm.

oscar

Well look what I've stumbled across

Apparently this one's for a 280, the brown thing is at bottom left, the black thing is at top right and the whole lot is described as a "Mercedes ignition wire diagnosis cable", RRP $433.00 US.  Think I'll treat mine with a bit more respect.