News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

What have you done for your W116 today?

Started by BWalker82, 18 May 2011, 06:27 PM

Kjhall65

Today the 450 got new engine mounts, rear brake hoses and new bushes in the gear selector.  I also installed a new temp gauge sensor but unfortunately the temp gauge is still reading about 15 deg high.  It's not the connections or the sensor so next stop is the gauge itself.  I was hoping I wouldn't have to get into the instruments.

JasonP

Today I washed my green parts car - a 1979 300SD. Then I wiped down the interior with a moist towel, and dried it, to get all the dust and dirt off. Both were a "first pass" at cleaning it since I bought it about a month ago - the car has been sitting with a seized engine for seven months. I roll it back and forth about once a month to mow the car port.

Last weekend I took the glove box from it and put it in my daily driver. Tomorrow, weather permitting, I am going to take the shut-off valve from the hose that sends hot water under the dash, and install it on mine. It looks to be like a 10 minute job.

1979 300SD
Color: 623H "Light Ivory"
1979 300SD
Color: 861H "Silver Green Metallic"
1977 280 E
Color: 606G "Maple Yellow"
-------------------------------------------

albe

Today I put a used power window switch in and hazard switch .Found a parts 450 se on the sunshine coast that was good for a rear seat as well .Will pick it up next week and get it to the trimmer ,looking forward to seeing it go in as this will finish the inside off and I can work on the motor and getting a r.w.c and club registration .  ;D

cp361

Back from the shop new front windshield gasket installed as I was starting to get water inside. It was raining good for the drive home and she remains dry as a bone!

Kjhall65

Today she had a wheel alignment to finish off the front suspension and steering refurb.

Kjhall65

....and this morning I replaced the gear selector bushes.  Looks like the previous owner couldn't be bothered to get new bushes so he used garden hose and washers instead :(

TJ 450

Quote from: Kjhall65 on 05 May 2012, 08:12 AM
....and this morning I replaced the gear selector bushes.  Looks like the previous owner couldn't be bothered to get new bushes so he used garden hose and washers instead :(
That sort of repair is not uncommon as owners go to great lengths to avoid paying "$2" for the bushings. :o

However, I must add that I did a similar thing on my 6.9 as a stop-gap measure until I ordered the new ones.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

cejpat

replaced the motor mounts, replaced the air cleaner bracket & turbo hose this past week ...

have & this week installing the following:

Monark Diesel Fuel Injector Nozzles
Driveline Center Support Overhaul
Differential Rubber Mount
Rear Subframe Mount
ALDA Pressure Line

bbnlv

Tried to put a radio in it and found the following:

After a 3 hour drive to LA the Amp on my Kenwood was fizzling out so ordered a new deck.
1.  Thought it was plug and play until I realized on the front left and front right pre amps were running the entire car.
2.  Front left running both front speakers, front right running the rear all wired into the thumb wheel control on the center console. (No wonder the amp was fizzling out after a 3 hour romp down the freeway with the stereo blasting.)
3.  Running all new wiring so all four channels can be utilized and removing the wiring to the antiquated thumb wheel.
4.  Found a million broken bits that will be replace while its apart.
5.  Found factory cell phone antenna wiring from 1979 in the Mercedes loom.  (Craziness)
THIS HAS TURNED INTO A TWO WEEKEND PROJECT MINIMALLY....... 

koan

Quote from: bbnlv on 06 May 2012, 06:48 PM

That's OK, something like that would take me 6 months...
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

1974450SEL

Been there, done that with re-wiring everything and removing from center fader knob (loads of fun..).  I had plans to restore the old Becker but decided, even with it restored it is still 30+year old technology and a newer deck still sounds better so I gave up on that and put a new Sony deck.  No amp yet though.  It took me one weekend to do all of this.  Also had to run a constant wire to the battery (for the radio settings) with it's own fuse.  I've had this setup for over a year and still going good.  I miss the looks of the old Becker but the better sound is worth the change. 

Quote from: bbnlv on 06 May 2012, 06:48 PM
Tried to put a radio in it and found the following:

After a 3 hour drive to LA the Amp on my Kenwood was fizzling out so ordered a new deck.
1.  Thought it was plug and play until I realized on the front left and front right pre amps were running the entire car.
2.  Front left running both front speakers, front right running the rear all wired into the thumb wheel control on the center console. (No wonder the amp was fizzling out after a 3 hour romp down the freeway with the stereo blasting.)
3.  Running all new wiring so all four channels can be utilized and removing the wiring to the antiquated thumb wheel.
4.  Found a million broken bits that will be replace while its apart.
5.  Found factory cell phone antenna wiring from 1979 in the Mercedes loom.  (Craziness)

cejpat

New motor mounts and balanced Monark injectors installed. Car is incredibly smooth.

Now saving up for a Myna injection pump or one modified by Black Smoke Racing.

Mechanic pronounces I've got the best diesel Merc for 200 miles  :o

Jakob

I discovered a rust hole in the inner sill, just above the front right jacking point.  I also noticed that the underlay/sound deadener was soaked (time for a new front windscreen rubber) so I ripped it out, expecting some horrors.  I was very pleasantly surprised to find no rust anywhere else!  Fixing the current hole might turn into a long term plan to replace the inner and outer sills.  In the mean time, deoderised fish oil perhaps?

albe

Well put the rear seat in that I got .And will have to wait for new seat skin down the track, leather will be nice  :D. Still with seat cover on it looks fine . 
next is the new speaker wires to run ya.  ::)

cejpat

Recharged the AC with R12 and then a little insurance with a seal leak and ester oil = wow

The temps go down to 45 degrees Fahrenheit from 100 degrees in less than 10 minutes.