News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

What have you done for your W116 today?

Started by BWalker82, 18 May 2011, 06:27 PM

TJ 450

Oh no... Opening a door onto the jack is very easy to do as well.

I removed the engine from the red 280SE today, and the car is pretty much ready to go to the scrap yard.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

albe

Was not very happy with my self the car is so straight and then jack strike  :-[  But I still love it , put the blanket back on and car cover she's in bed (shed) :D. next week . .  will finish the brake's

ckamila

I have spent the last several days chasing down the rust. Repainted brake booster, air cleaner (missing some paint and rust on lid), headlight covers rusted int/ext and metal water lines for heater core.

Then i found a lovely surprise, i nice crack in my servo. It was working but sometimes seemed not to blow warm air. Don't know haw i missed that crack before when i read the date scratched onto the face. Time to chase down another one???

If it's not broke i haven't fix it yet...

1980 300SD, 170K
1985 300D, 235K

cejpat

Threw out the dusty crust musty floor mats (not the carpets) and replaced them with fair trade Persian rugs.

My 6 y.o. clapped her hands saying, Daddy, we've got magic carpets.

I prefer the vibrant colors too ;-)

mswcpt

Back today from another session with mechanic:

1. New break pads and discs - Thanks S Class for the very reasonable price and excellent service!
2. New left, right and centre tie rods.
3. Heater core hoses replacements/overhaul. Complete flush of coolant system and fluid/coolant renewal.

TJ 450

Quote from: cejpat on 11 April 2012, 04:39 PM
Threw out the dusty crust musty floor mats (not the carpets) and replaced them with fair trade Persian rugs.

I'd have to say I like the idea of the Persian rugs as floor mats.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

1980sdga

Quote from: TJ 450 on 13 April 2012, 08:39 AM
Quote from: cejpat on 11 April 2012, 04:39 PM

I'd have to say I like the idea of the Persian rugs as floor mats.

Tim

I'd like to see pictures.

@ Ckamila: With all the work you've done I'd go with an aluminum servo and a new/ rebuilt amp.

OT, I drove my 116 about 300 miles today  8)

cp361

Replaced the fuel return lines... I use bio-diesel and I noticed that tell tale weeping or leaching thru the fabric of the old braided lines. I looked at them after removing and saw cracks in the rubber ends. Today I also replaced the front door seals fairly straight forward except I had been reading about a C bushing or something holding the rod on the door check strap in place that needed to be removed and my car doesn't have them ..it did throw me off a bit. I just tapped the rod that holds the door check strap in place on the body side and wiggled the rod out. Did drop the plastic bushings in the grass and lost track of them for awhile but did find them eventually. :)

geospine

Valve Job gave me way smoother top end performance. (technically earlier this week)
Replaced/updated crankcase breather hose and grommets.
Installed temporary boost pressure gauge... Pressure seems good ~10.5 psi @ 4000 rpm.
Looking for a replacement FL window regulator.

Kjhall65

Today she got a new steering box, steering damper and bushes in the cross member.  With a wheel alignment during the week, that pretty much completes the front end refurb she has been going through over the last month or so.

I did find that one of the engine mounts has collapsed so that will be the next thing to tackle in the coming weeks.

1974450SEL

I replaced the battery with a OEM size (HUGE) battery for 113.00.  She's running good and I've been enjoying driving to work this week.  I have been riding my motorcycle but decided to drive her this week.

Type17

Changed the oil and filter - around 8 litres  :o
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

Tony66_au

Done nothing to my 116's but my W124 230TE has copped a new sound system and I've fixed the rear interior lights, Ciggie lighter and gave her an oil change........
edging closer to half a million Km too!

UTn_boy

Oh lord, lets see.  Last month I buckled down and did a lot to my 280S.   I replaced every piece of rubber on the rear control arms and rear sub frame. I renewed the rear differential oil.  I replaced the torque converter seal and front pump o-ring on the transmission.  While it was out, I replaced the reverse band, as the original had a crack in it. New filter and oil for transmission, too. I also replaced the front carrier bearing and installed a new output shaft seal, too.  I repainted my rocker panels, polished my hubcaps, flushed the brake system, changed engine oil and engine coolant, Removed my starter to clean and repaint it, cleaned all of my wheel wells so they show off the original Astral Silver Metallic that they should, I cleaned the underside of the floor pans and transmission tunnel while transmission was out, new water pump and front crankshaft seal for good measure. New belts, topped off the A/C system, (and I use R-12), renewed all of the small screws under the hood that hold various things to the inner fender wells and fire wall, (the old screws had lost their yellow zinc luster), polished the fuse box lid and other various plastic pieces under the hood, polished paint under hood on inner fender wells and frame, put the correct Gemi radiator hose clamps on.  Now.......I need a new carburetor.  Unfortunately, I don't have the $3,000 to do it.  And yes, I would actually pay that to get rid of the headache of the one that I have now. haha.  The next reasonable thing on my 'to do' list are all new door seals and new windshield seal (Mercedes brand, not aftermarket) .  I am very pleased with how well this one has come along.  Though, it helps to start with an original 59,000 mile rust free example.  I now have 71,000 miles on it, and I drive it on long road trips (5-10 hour drives) regularly.  So much fun!! Comfortable, too! When we're easily able to post pictures on here, I'll  post pictures.  Until then, I shan't bother trying to figure out how to do it.  ;-) 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo