News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

What have you done for your W116 today?

Started by BWalker82, 18 May 2011, 06:27 PM

albe

Today I backed it out of the old shed and had a tinka with the K-jet ,she needs a good tune and service leads as well . Open the doors up took some pic's of the seat cover's I just fitted last week after sewing them up here's a link ..
forum.w116.org/interiors-and-exteriors/albe's-280-sel-''-interior''/
Its been very wet here in Redcliffe so let her air out for a bit and let the motor run for a while .
Not on the road yet if it was today I would have been driving my w116  ::)

Big_Richard

Type17

I got around to sticking the corner of the mat under the bonnet (hood) - tip: I wrapped a few old pillows in a former bedsheet and closed the bonnet on it overnight. The mat is now perfectly stuck. Tomorrow, I'll be doing the other corner.

'76 350SE in Silver-Green

JasonP

Let us know if that reduces the sound in the cabin! Mine has no hood mat, and most of my noise seems to come from wind coursing through dried out door and window seals. Interestingly, though, when driving on a wet and rainy day, the cabin was unusually quiet.  ???

1979 300SD
Color: 623H "Light Ivory"
1979 300SD
Color: 861H "Silver Green Metallic"
1977 280 E
Color: 606G "Maple Yellow"
-------------------------------------------

Type17

Well, it always had the original mat (it was just hanging off at the corners), so I don't know what the sound would be like without it, but my first car, a Mk1 Golf (Rabbit in the US market), had no mat, but the diesel models did, so I got one in a scrapyard and fitted it to mine (easy, as they're attached using clips in the holes on the bonnet-strengthening spars, rather than being glued on like the MB ones) and it did make a noticeable difference, so I'd say that it might improve things for you. As far as I can see, the V8/V6 Mercedes seem to have a mat, but the inline engines don't - I presume that MB tests have shown higher sound volume/resonance from the centre of the 'V' or something...

albe

Not sure on that Type17 I have a 280 SEL and it has a bonnet mat as do most of them I have seen . Maybe on the later model's, 1980's on. But can't comment on that as I don't know. And today I gave my w116 a pat on the boot . :P

TJ 450

All variants of the 116 had bonnet/hood mats from the factory. 8)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Type17

Yes, I was talking about Mercedes generally, rather than just the 116's.

nathan

ill get the thread back on track as i worked on a 116 today for the first time in a while.
was at dads house, and he asked me to fit the new window regulator to the front door of the red 6.9.  this was a parts car but dad is starting to get itchy restoration hopes for it - it actually only has 190,000km on the engine.  dad insisted we take the windows out to fit the regulator, which had just been tinted (i envisages them being scratched to hell). i told him it didnt need to happen if you undid the motor from the regulator and slid each past the window track.  this was a bit trickier than i remembered and probably took longer than just removing the window and its guide track, but ill be damned if my dad is gonna be right! it eventually went in ok. dad has also bought all the new slides and clips for the bit where the regulator joins the window, and also the white plastic bit in the vertical guide rail. it goes a treat now!
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

Tony66_au

Today I did something naughty with one of my 116's and gently but gracefully tore up a nice flat paddock with it.....

Not too many revs but she was surprisingly good on grass and dirt sideways.... and a bit of opposite lock and right foot steering did her well as she was absolutely purring when I was done.

Big_Richard

Tony66_au

LOL No wabbits, just Hares...............

Jenn actually commented that it looked rather graceful and then suggested I should rally one...........

I did give it some thought and I do have a 280S...

Kjhall65

I was hoping to change the steering box but the planets didn't align and it will have to wait till after Easter.  So I just put the mats back in the front now they have dried out after driving the car in the rain the other day.  Must get the windscreen rubber replaced as well at some stage.

albe

Not much to tell waiting on part's or should say money to buy parts . But have got new rotors to fit  when I get new pads .  And today I give  my w116 a nice bath and rub down with the wool pad by hand .
I must say that washing her is rewarding  just looking at it as I detail make's me think how nice she really is . 
Looking forward to driving this car so much .

albe

Well today I put the new rotors and pads in the rear every thing was working well and in good order . I put one front rotor on and got the pad size so I can order them next week they are not so easy to do but done now and other side should be easy,now that I know what to do . Had a small upset when I opened the drivers door and hit the jack (what a dumb ass I am :( ) the car has gone 34 years without anyone doing this till I did .Very upset hope the dint man can get it out . But the brakes are almost done and it rolls now as old pads were sticking .Very happy  :P