News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

What have you done for your W116 today?

Started by BWalker82, 18 May 2011, 06:27 PM

1980sdga

Quote from: WGB on 03 June 2011, 12:57 AM
Quote from: 1980sdga on 31 May 2011, 09:49 PM
It costs me about $60 to fill up my diesel.  Diesel is about the same price as premium here.

You blokes are getting raped!

I assume you have the smaller tank in the diesel - petrols have 95 litres.

Bill

Must be. It takes about 18 gallons to fill up when she's really low.  I try not to let it get too far below 1/4 tank.

I still haven't figured the marks near empty (Or R) out and I'm scared to run it really low and see if the low fuel lamp works  :P 

thysonsacclaim

QuoteI still haven't figured the marks near empty (Or R) out and I'm scared to run it really low and see if the low fuel lamp works  Tongue 

You might be able to test it by pulling the sender out and turning the key to run.

I know I posted here the other day, but this morning I am calling the shop to check on my heads. It's busy here with race season ramping, so machine shops and what not can get backed up because of custom job (porting / polishing, etc). Besides NASCAR, there's a huge industry in small tracks, too. I was talking to one of my State Trooper friends who does security detail for the races, fairs / shows, etc and he led me to some tracks where I'll be able to run my car once I get everything back together. Best believe I want to test top speed out without getting a $2000 ticket for going 50 MPH over the limit  :D

Anyways, today if the heads are in I will spend the next three days putting stuff back together. I'm quite excited, but taking it slowly. I've got some cans of POR 15 & back and metal flake top coat coming in so I can do some rust treatment & prevention in the bay and elsewhere.

toxonix

I *almost* got it started after valve job + top end seals + bottom end gaskets + new fuel lines. There is still some air trapped somewhere in the fuel system, because I don't seem to get anything out of the injectors yet. I've bled the air from the fuel distributor by cranking with the lines open, then shut those one by one as they bled out. Then opened the injector ends of the lines and did the same thing. Still bubbles and occasional air pockets, but the fuel pump is pushing strong.
Can't get the key to crank the engine, have to use a jumper from the batt. terminal.
Removed the sunroof and interior for paint prep work.

1980sdga

Quote from: toxonix on 03 June 2011, 01:53 PM
I *almost* got it started after valve job + top end seals + bottom end gaskets + new fuel lines. There is still some air trapped somewhere in the fuel system, because I don't seem to get anything out of the injectors yet. I've bled the air from the fuel distributor by cranking with the lines open, then shut those one by one as they bled out. Then opened the injector ends of the lines and did the same thing. Still bubbles and occasional air pockets, but the fuel pump is pushing strong.
Can't get the key to crank the engine, have to use a jumper from the batt. terminal.
Removed the sunroof and interior for paint prep work.

Not speaking from experience but... I've read that it can take a LOT of cranking to get the air out.  I guess you adjusted the valves?

toxonix

Yes, I adjusted the valve clearances with the newly lapped-in valves. I haven't cranked it for very long at any given time; the battery can only stand about 10 turns before it starts giving up. The battery was not charged over the winter, so it's probably not holding a full charge.

john6007

I'd be carefull of continuous use of the starter motor, most are not designed for that and may damage the internal wiring (heat build up).
I know its not quite the same, but on my aircraft its 30 sec on 60 sec off, 30s on 60s off, 30s on 30 minutes OFF but I have abused car starter motors in the past.
79 - 450SEL 6.9 #5628 &  #6466, 92 - 300CE-24, 98 - MX-5, 89 - Ducati 906 Paso

1980sdga

Put the old Becker in  ;D  Earlier this week I changed the center support bearing on the driveshaft and installed shifter bushings.

13B

Went for 2 hr lunch with 3 of the ladies from work.

:-)

I.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

WGB

HKDP

Quote from: WGB on 31 May 2011, 09:38 PM
Quote from: HKDP on 27 May 2011, 12:19 PM
My dear 1977 450SE gave me a stroke at the petrol station today......174 euro's full tank...thats uhm $230, I blame Libya.

It will cost about AUD$140 (US$150) to fill my 6.9 with 98 Octane if near empty.

Bill

No Fair.... I'm moving....Gas prices dropped but they're still 1.60 euro per liter, about $2.40 per liter.

john6007

Clocked over 360,000 k's today
Had the 450 down the big smoke (Perth) for a few days, she had her favourite drink (98 RON) then ran 100+ K's back to the country home for a quick wash and back to sleep in the shed.
79 - 450SEL 6.9 #5628 &  #6466, 92 - 300CE-24, 98 - MX-5, 89 - Ducati 906 Paso

George

Since I got my car two weeks ago the radiator has been drinking daily water.

Could only trace clouds of steam, decided to clean the radiator Mercedez style with the de-oil and de-lime, then I took her off to see if I can spot the leak.
Bottom line, some surgery and some epoxy and now she's dry and happy and she can finally hold some antifreeze again.

Cold start issue drove me nuts. Studied some online cases. Finally found an explanation on fuel running back down the fuel line. Tested the fuel accumulator/fuel resevoire and it was just wizzing fuel out the back end.
Now to find a replacement.

George

Quote from: George on 10 July 2011, 12:49 PM
Since I got my car two weeks ago the radiator has been drinking daily water.

Could only trace clouds of steam, decided to clean the radiator Mercedez style with the de-oil and de-lime, then I took her off to see if I can spot the leak.
Bottom line, some surgery and some epoxy and now she's dry and happy and she can finally hold some antifreeze again.

Cold start issue drove me nuts. Studied some online cases. Finally found an explanation on fuel running back down the fuel line sounding more like my situation. Tested the fuel/pressure resevoire and it was just wizzing fuel out the back end.
Now to find a replacement.

1980sdga

I've been in the sweltering heat, enduring oppressive humidity trying to fix my air conditioning.

Hopefully it's like a penance...

Casey

Quote from: 1980sdga on 10 July 2011, 04:01 PM
I've been in the sweltering heat, enduring oppressive humidity trying to fix my air conditioning.

Hopefully it's like a penance...

I'm right there with you with broken front windows as well.  Thank goodness there's a sunroof.  I've just been viewing driving as a visit to the sauna - I'm sure I'm getting some health  benefit out of all the sweating.