News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

What have you done for your W116 today?

Started by BWalker82, 18 May 2011, 06:27 PM

TJ 450

Yep, it's a bastard of a job. I find you need to drop the steering column and possibly loosen it at the firewall to get the freedom required to remove the ignition assembly. The ignition switches do separate sometimes after many years of use.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Pete49

Sure is. A few choice words that would get you direct to hell no passing go and out it popped. Found the cause of the key not returning from start, The guts of the electrics came away from the switch. Half hour later and fixed. Putting it back was another exercise in frustration but its all good to go now ;D. Also got rid of an annoying oil leak, just needed new hose clamps on the oil cooler line.
What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
Edward Langley,  Artist (1928-1995)

raueda1

Gosh, so many valuable and ambitious projects!  I just drove mine around town a bit enjoying the nice spring weather.  Then I stopped at the Mexican market to pick up limes for my evening margaritas.  Limes are only US$1 for 2 lbs!  That's a lot of limes.   ;D ;D ;D
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

Mick74

I've ordered over $1000 in parts and my car is going into the garage next week for suspension bushes, flexi discs and prop shaft centre bearing, full caliper rebuild/replacement, new brake hoses, new fluid of course, ball joints, steering coupler and fixing a leaking steering box, investigate possible misfire (possibly an exhaust tappet), fix an air con leak (if possible) check all coolant and other engine bay hoses and rubber components and filter change. Plus anything else that might crop up. With a 40 year old car, that could be anything.
Then over to the body shop to repair the outer sills and other mild underbody work. That should keep it motoring until the Autumn when we'll tackle something else.
In the meantime, this weekend I'm lubricating the window mechanisms, because they are slow, and cleaning and protecting the inside and bottom of the doors, which are thankfully rust free. I'll also be stripping, cleaning and lubing the sunroof mechanism, but that may have to wait till after the car gets out of the shop.
1979 6.9 #6475

irvine

Nothing done today as its Sunday (Sydney time), BUT yesterday the big w116 sailed through her rego with flying colours, only thing it needed was a break light bulb. another year of happy motoring for me.

neil.

Pete49

I just sat and looked at how wonderful the W116 looks and smiled. Another great day in the life of W116 ownership.   8)
What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
Edward Langley,  Artist (1928-1995)

marku

Been thinking for some time to sort out the chromework on the 450 particularly the bumpers. Having been to the platers with some other parts and been refused twice although I had been told that if they couldn't do what i wanted no one could. I didn't think the parts were that bad but no they wouldn't even attempt them and I had said I would accept their best effort. They apparently do a lot of restoration work and I think they are getting a bit picky. Any way wondering what I could do I thought I might try re-polishing them. Got a small kit, buffing wheels etc., and had a go. Amazing came up really well good enough to re-fit. Obviously not new but very bright and they are original which is a plus.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

rumb

Just a few days ago I was driving down the road looking at all the plastic bumper cars and realizing how much I like chromed bumper, especially considering the post DOT huge rubber bumper cars that came from that period.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

revilla

I think it was here where I recently read one fellow member repainted his grill.
I added that line to the to-do-list of the cars. His looked so nice, it inspired me to do one of mine this sunny Sunday morning...
Thank you.
Easy, simple, not expensive and with satisfying outcomes.
Attached the results.
Yes, the quality inspector approved the procedure... so he's eating tonight ;)

irvine

First thing I done on mine was paint the grill and lower bumper grill black. I ended up painting the headlight bodies black and drenched the fog lights.  much better looking.
I notice your headlight bodies are darker, you paint them also??

revilla

Hi
No, I didn't touch the headlights. Maybe the previous owner did. I didn't notice it until you mentioned. Added to the to-do-list.
I still have to do the other car.
Yes, one of those 1-hour inexpensive things that enhance the looks so much. Worth it.
Thx for your feedback.

Squiggle Dog

I cleaned the underside of my 300SD as it was filthy.

Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

Mergyver

Two things;

1) I disassembled cleaned lubricated and re-assembled the sunroof mechanism on my 300SD.

2) Sent my Becker Mexico out to be rehabbed and have a blue tooth connector attached.

The only thing better than cruising with the windows down and the sunroof open is to do it with a banging Becker streaming classic rock.
1974 450SEL
1979 300SD
1989 560SL
2005 E320 CDI Recently deceased

w116john

Recently I had the front screen glass and seal replaced and the rear seal,  I also had the front fender mounts repaired and at the time we
made the drain hole by the bonnet release grommet larger.  So I am confident I have reached a milestone, I am nearly 100% sure that the interior is dry, no leaks, it took along time (the sunroof will probably start leaking now) . The boot still has minor ingress but that's for another day.

I also had the engine looked at for the starting issues I was having by a retired Mercedes mechanic and its now driving very well, the starts have improved, no high cold idle or stuttery hot starts. It was just a matter of getting the idle, timing and fuel mix right, hot idle in drive is about 550 and fairly smooth.

I am delighted on both counts, the to do list gets smaller.

body work next

regards
john

daantjie

Quote from: w116john on 10 May 2019, 03:14 PM

Recently I had the front screen glass and seal replaced and the rear seal,  I also had the front fender mounts repaired and at the time we
made the drain hole by the bonnet release grommet larger.  So I am confident I have reached a milestone, I am nearly 100% sure that the interior is dry, no leaks, it took along time (the sunroof will probably start leaking now) . The boot still has minor ingress but that's for another day.

Nice progress!  it amazes me how these cars can let water in over the years :o  Tail light seals as well as trunk seal should fix the trunk water ingress.  Tail light seals is a bit tricky but it's a good opportunity to touch up all rust spots.  I would also pull the chrome trim and check really well for rust.  The only way to pull the trim is when you have the lights out, so for sure this is the time to do it.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber