News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

What have you done for your W116 today?

Started by BWalker82, 18 May 2011, 06:27 PM

Eyeman

Speaking of sanding, I'm sanding the original and two more layers of paint off my 6.9.  Going back to the original gray blue and trying to keep the cost down by doing the hard work myself.
1963 190SL(project)
1977 6.9 (Euro)
1994 Porsche 968 Cabriolet
1994 Porsche 968 Coupe
2008 BMW 135
2017 AMG GTS

marku

the best way although I have never seen so much dust. Sanded all the paint off which included a respray by a previous owner which was on top of the original. Then sanded some of my respray work off as it wasn't good enough. A lot of work but it is worth it. You can stand back at the end and say, with pride, "all my own work."
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

Eyeman

I had done a lot of boat painting removing before so knew what I was getting in to.  On a Glastron boat, I sanded off the paint, then tried to repaint in metalflake by just adding metalflake to paint.  Didn't realized then you just end up with painted metalflake, no shine, had to sand that back off..lol.
1963 190SL(project)
1977 6.9 (Euro)
1994 Porsche 968 Cabriolet
1994 Porsche 968 Coupe
2008 BMW 135
2017 AMG GTS

Gpapaniko

Prepping new steel wheels and hub caps as an alternative to the bunt wheels I currently have.  Bunt wheels will come off for eventual refurbishment.  Now have two sets for the 280SEL.  Second hand hub caps in Milan brown now freshly painted and clear coated to match the Blue Grey Metallic (930G) on the 280SEL
Never stop loving
1980 280SEL

celberg

There is a fuel leak at the lid on my 1975 350SE. Tried a new lid with new gasket, but still leaking. Got a used fuel tank and put in today. 3 (allof them) fuel hoses were totally cracked. Feel lucky today...
350SL 1973
350SE 1975
SL500 1996

Jan S

A few days ago I did a lovely 450 km road trip in the southern part of Norway - the first trip since late fall 2022. Pleasant 17 deg C/63 deg F and still snow in the mountains.

Today I changed engine oil + a new filter. 11 liter. Two years and ca 5000 km since last oil change. Look forward to an upcoming 1100 km road trip in a weeks time.

Engine runs beautifully, and no cold/warm start problems.
1975-mod W116 450 SE with 6.9 engine

Gpapaniko

Nice work Jan - is your colour scheme Blu Grey Metallic (Code 930) and Blue MBTex Interior?.  I change oil every 5000km or 12 months 20W 50 Liqui Moly
Never stop loving
1980 280SEL

BigGreenMachine

I noticed the body was cracked on my original climate control servo several weeks ago, with dried coolant indicating my days were numbered maintaining comfortable cabin temp. I decided to go with the aluminum body replacement option from Performance Analysis. I had to stay at it for a bit to get the old unit out - the rubber coolant hoses had to be worked loose, and the two mounting bolts were not very easy to access even with vacuum/electric/coolant lines pulled aside. But with a little persistence I was able to get the old servo unit out without needing to replace any coolant hose or damaging anything else along the way. All the work was in the removal of the orginal - the replacement plugged right in quickly and easily. The aluminum body unit wasn't cheap, but I didn't have a lot of choice in the matter considering how far gone the original was when I noticed it. Happy to have this one crossed off the list.

Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 8.57.12 PM.jpg

Jan S

Quote from: Gpapaniko on 23 May 2023, 06:51 PMNice work Jan - is your colour scheme Blu Grey Metallic (Code 930) and Blue MBTex Interior?.  I change oil every 5000km or 12 months 20W 50 Liqui Moly

I suspect the car has been resprayed at some time. Difficult to say regarding the color code. Grey ... less blue I would say ...?

Interior is Black MBTex

I use Liqui Moly 10W-40 "MoS2 Leichtlauf".
1975-mod W116 450 SE with 6.9 engine

Gpapaniko

Finished the prep and swap from bunts to wheel caps. Bunt now going to be refurbished
Never stop loving
1980 280SEL

BMA

could get a new black front plate pretty cheap and replaced it, just looks nicer and no visible surface rust anymore!  :)
happy having finally a 6.9 # 7271 in my garage, ...so nice to cruise!

raueda1

First, drove the old girl the long way from Salt Lake to lovely Essex CT, about 2600 miles.  We went through Wyoming (see pic) and on to Deadwood South Dakota.  Then to Sturgis a couple days before the crazy biker rally to get a taste for it.   Pic is Deadwood, totally taken over by bikers. Insane doesn't come close to describing.   We played blackjack with Hells Angels, which was fun. :o  Great trip, car ran beautifully.  All this was last week, not today, but close enough.

Then today I advanvced the timing a little.  It had been at 3 or 4 deg ATDC @ idle.  This is the spec if I recall, but I've also been a bit nervous about knocking because of so much high altitude and mountain driving.  Now the car will live at about 10 meters above sea level.  In a very old post somebody in OZ advanced it to 8 deg so I followed their example.  BIG difference in SOTP (seat-of-the-pants) performance, and no knocking!  I was quite surprised at the difference.  If anybody feels that this is a bad idea, please respond.  But I like what it did for the car.  Happy motoring and cheers,
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

ramiro

Interesting seeing that your temp gauge at just 160 kmh is also at ~97 so same like mine at that speed, the 6.9 engine just seems to run hot at higher speed.

I tried advancing the ignition on my euro 6.9 by ~ 2 degrees but i was pretty sure i heard knocking when accelerating so turned it back to spec , maybe it's because i am just using 95 RON fuel, but it also seemed a bit faster off the line.

raueda1

Quote from: ramiro on 14 August 2023, 08:24 AMInteresting seeing that your temp gauge at just 160 kmh is also at ~97 so same like mine at that speed, the 6.9 engine just seems to run hot at higher speed.

I tried advancing the ignition on my euro 6.9 by ~ 2 degrees but i was pretty sure i heard knocking when accelerating so turned it back to spec , maybe it's because i am just using 95 RON fuel, but it also seemed a bit faster off the line.
Yeah, such comparisons are interesting indeed.  Actually I figure temp was more like 93 assuming 90 would be halfway between the 80 and 100 marks.  Temperature outside was about 97F/36C.  Pretty hot!  So I'm not concerned about that.  This car seems to stay in the same range even at +40C.

As for the fuel, I typically run 93 octane US, ~97 RON, so that's probably enough to prevent knocking. 
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

BMA

after being lucky, that it seems my fuel consumption went down and power performance went up after I increased the Co value from 1,5 % up to 3,1% I meanwhile do some research what to buy for the next small project to:
1. built in a new revised door safety catch strap for the driver door
2. buying Spray lubricant and Silikon to grease the power window
3. Reupholster door panel with extra purchased foam for this purpose.
4. new plastic film to seal the door

Regards from Germany, Björn
happy having finally a 6.9 # 7271 in my garage, ...so nice to cruise!