Author Topic: What have you done for your W116 today?  (Read 95045 times)

Nabstud

• Enthusiast
  • W116 Enthusiast
Re: What have you done for your W116 today?
« Reply #375 on: 06 November 2021, 06:24 AM »
Looks good!!
1975 280S - Australian delivered

Randys01

• Classic
  • W116 Enthusiast
« Reply #376 on: 06 November 2021, 09:26 PM »
Here's another contribution.

For a couple of years I've noticed my power strg  was leaking via the hi pressure hose on my 6.9 : just enough to be a nuisance.
So while I was having the spheres replaced   [ 15 years old...not a bad innings ] I had my mechanic fix it.  Within a few weeks I observed the pump itself was leaking. It possibly had been leaking for along time and the condition hidden by the leaking  pipe. 
Whatever, ...this was a night mare.!

In anticipation I ordered a seal kit for the Vickers Sperry pump.  Cut along story short I ordered two from 2 different places. Surprise surprise when they turned up and were quite different?..but the same p/no.
And so to removing the pump. I am ashamed to say it took 3 honest hours!   Anyway, got the sod out...down to the mechanic with the 2 seal kits and a couple of days later got it back  and with some reservation I put it back in. This was even worse.  Anyway 3 and a bit hours later she is in and working and OK.

There is a nasty little bolt that has a square head that fits in a slot at the bottom of the pump. J...C....what a mongrel........it's  finger tight thus far.  I've just bought a special long snout 13 mm socket and I will finish the job......but I can't believe nothing was straight forward.
.Half the problem is the hydraulic reservoir...the hi press pump..the cables/wires...the rhd washer bottle is even in the act?!!

Meanwhile, having had the cells replaced, I am now embarking on my wildest project..complete overhaul of the struts....a chapter for another day!

daantjie

• W116 Addict
  • W116 Enthusiast
« Reply #377 on: 06 November 2021, 10:42 PM »
Here's another contribution.

For a couple of years I've noticed my power strg  was leaking via the hi pressure hose on my 6.9 : just enough to be a nuisance.
So while I was having the spheres replaced   [ 15 years old...not a bad innings ] I had my mechanic fix it.  Within a few weeks I observed the pump itself was leaking. It possibly had been leaking for along time and the condition hidden by the leaking  pipe. 
Whatever, ...this was a night mare.!

In anticipation I ordered a seal kit for the Vickers Sperry pump.  Cut along story short I ordered two from 2 different places. Surprise surprise when they turned up and were quite different?..but the same p/no.
And so to removing the pump. I am ashamed to say it took 3 honest hours!   Anyway, got the sod out...down to the mechanic with the 2 seal kits and a couple of days later got it back  and with some reservation I put it back in. This was even worse.  Anyway 3 and a bit hours later she is in and working and OK.

There is a nasty little bolt that has a square head that fits in a slot at the bottom of the pump. J...C....what a mongrel........it's  finger tight thus far.  I've just bought a special long snout 13 mm socket and I will finish the job......but I can't believe nothing was straight forward.
.Half the problem is the hydraulic reservoir...the hi press pump..the cables/wires...the rhd washer bottle is even in the act?!!

Meanwhile, having had the cells replaced, I am now embarking on my wildest project..complete overhaul of the struts....a chapter for another day!

Randy in my experience I can say without fail that if I dread a job due to perceived complexity it is always easier than I thought it would be.  On the flip side if I think a job is going to be a cake walk it invariably turns into a shit show :o
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

TNNBENZ

• Classic
  • Vintage Enthusiast
« Reply #378 on: 07 November 2021, 07:42 PM »
     Cleaned on my air flow meter assembly... ;)   I need advice on my post : Advice on a restart. It is posted in mechanical section  ::) Any help greatly appreciated....... :)   :)    :)
Neglected ~ Rescued ~ 1977 450SEL 4.5L  U.S.A. ver.
Project of Compassion ~ Respect
Silver Green Metallic / Toast
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

• Classic
  • Vintage Enthusiast
« Reply #379 on: 16 November 2021, 06:07 PM »
     Ordered parts.......... :-\
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

• Classic
  • Vintage Enthusiast
« Reply #380 on: 19 November 2021, 08:46 PM »
     cleaned around the fuel injector housings so no trash will fall n when I install the new ones.   I pulled 1 injector & housing out and housing did not break.    I am overjoyed...  I read that they r prone to breaking & falling n 2 engine..........Hope rest come out as easy as that 1..........
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

johnnyw116

• Classic
« Reply #381 on: 20 November 2021, 05:19 AM »
Today new powersteering fluid and powersteering filter i used kroon classic atf A . the steering is a little more smoother now but before is wasnt bad , i also had frozen up rear calipers so it was time for new ones i swapped the system bendix for system ATE becouse i got a good deal at the local parts shop who had 2 ATE rear calipers left for €100,- and ofcourse 2 new brake hoses 1 brake line and new rotor discs and fresh brakefluid the old fluid was verry dark , and after pumping more than 2 liters the brakefluid finally looks good , i did also the master cylinder to be sure i dont have to work twice on the brake system , finally some handbrake adjustment and job done , but still enough work to do on the W116 , next on the list is under the hood fuel leakage   

« Last Edit: 20 November 2021, 05:27 AM by johnnyw116 »
JohnnyW116

johnnyw116

• Classic
« Reply #382 on: 20 November 2021, 05:21 AM »
The early type power steering filter and partnumber
« Last Edit: 20 November 2021, 05:25 AM by johnnyw116 »
JohnnyW116

johnnyw116

• Classic
« Reply #383 on: 22 November 2021, 05:16 AM »
Today and yesterday i solved the fuel leaking issue it was more the smell of fuel than actually leaking , but as aspected the rubber hoses were hard and break and crack when touching it , i also used a fuel injector kit i bought at Mister-Injector UK some time ago a verry nice kit but the only thing i missed in the kit was the green seal 1160780773 i bought these at the local dealership they dont cost much about 2 euro a piece , finally some under the hood cleaning , and someone peeled off my tricky dick sticker so i got a new one  :)
JohnnyW116