News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

What have you done for your W116 today?

Started by BWalker82, 18 May 2011, 06:27 PM

Nabstud

1975 280S - Australian delivered

Randys01

Here's another contribution.

For a couple of years I've noticed my power strg  was leaking via the hi pressure hose on my 6.9 : just enough to be a nuisance.
So while I was having the spheres replaced   [ 15 years old...not a bad innings ] I had my mechanic fix it.  Within a few weeks I observed the pump itself was leaking. It possibly had been leaking for along time and the condition hidden by the leaking  pipe. 
Whatever, ...this was a night mare.!

In anticipation I ordered a seal kit for the Vickers Sperry pump.  Cut along story short I ordered two from 2 different places. Surprise surprise when they turned up and were quite different?..but the same p/no.
And so to removing the pump. I am ashamed to say it took 3 honest hours!   Anyway, got the sod out...down to the mechanic with the 2 seal kits and a couple of days later got it back  and with some reservation I put it back in. This was even worse.  Anyway 3 and a bit hours later she is in and working and OK.

There is a nasty little bolt that has a square head that fits in a slot at the bottom of the pump. J...C....what a mongrel........it's  finger tight thus far.  I've just bought a special long snout 13 mm socket and I will finish the job......but I can't believe nothing was straight forward.
.Half the problem is the hydraulic reservoir...the hi press pump..the cables/wires...the rhd washer bottle is even in the act?!!

Meanwhile, having had the cells replaced, I am now embarking on my wildest project..complete overhaul of the struts....a chapter for another day!

daantjie

Quote from: Randys01 on 06 November 2021, 11:26 PM
Here's another contribution.

For a couple of years I've noticed my power strg  was leaking via the hi pressure hose on my 6.9 : just enough to be a nuisance.
So while I was having the spheres replaced   [ 15 years old...not a bad innings ] I had my mechanic fix it.  Within a few weeks I observed the pump itself was leaking. It possibly had been leaking for along time and the condition hidden by the leaking  pipe. 
Whatever, ...this was a night mare.!

In anticipation I ordered a seal kit for the Vickers Sperry pump.  Cut along story short I ordered two from 2 different places. Surprise surprise when they turned up and were quite different?..but the same p/no.
And so to removing the pump. I am ashamed to say it took 3 honest hours!   Anyway, got the sod out...down to the mechanic with the 2 seal kits and a couple of days later got it back  and with some reservation I put it back in. This was even worse.  Anyway 3 and a bit hours later she is in and working and OK.

There is a nasty little bolt that has a square head that fits in a slot at the bottom of the pump. J...C....what a mongrel........it's  finger tight thus far.  I've just bought a special long snout 13 mm socket and I will finish the job......but I can't believe nothing was straight forward.
.Half the problem is the hydraulic reservoir...the hi press pump..the cables/wires...the rhd washer bottle is even in the act?!!

Meanwhile, having had the cells replaced, I am now embarking on my wildest project..complete overhaul of the struts....a chapter for another day!

Randy in my experience I can say without fail that if I dread a job due to perceived complexity it is always easier than I thought it would be.  On the flip side if I think a job is going to be a cake walk it invariably turns into a shit show :o
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

TNNBENZ

Cleaned on my air flow meter assembly... ;)   I need advice on my post : Advice on a restart. It is posted in mechanical section  ::) Any help greatly appreciated....... :)   :)    :)
Neglected ~ Rescued ~ 1977 450SEL 4.5L  U.S.A. ver.
Project of Compassion ~ Respect
Silver Green Metallic / Toast
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

cleaned around the fuel injector housings so no trash will fall n when I install the new ones.   I pulled 1 injector & housing out and housing did not break.    I am overjoyed...  I read that they r prone to breaking & falling n 2 engine..........Hope rest come out as easy as that 1..........
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

johnnyw116

Today new powersteering fluid and powersteering filter i used kroon classic atf A . the steering is a little more smoother now but before is wasnt bad , i also had frozen up rear calipers so it was time for new ones i swapped the system bendix for system ATE becouse i got a good deal at the local parts shop who had 2 ATE rear calipers left for €100,- and ofcourse 2 new brake hoses 1 brake line and new rotor discs and fresh brakefluid the old fluid was verry dark , and after pumping more than 2 liters the brakefluid finally looks good , i did also the master cylinder to be sure i dont have to work twice on the brake system , finally some handbrake adjustment and job done , but still enough work to do on the W116 , next on the list is under the hood fuel leakage   

JohnnyW116

johnnyw116

The early type power steering filter and partnumber
JohnnyW116

johnnyw116

Today and yesterday i solved the fuel leaking issue it was more the smell of fuel than actually leaking , but as aspected the rubber hoses were hard and break and crack when touching it , i also used a fuel injector kit i bought at Mister-Injector UK some time ago a verry nice kit but the only thing i missed in the kit was the green seal 1160780773 i bought these at the local dealership they dont cost much about 2 euro a piece , finally some under the hood cleaning , and someone peeled off my tricky dick sticker so i got a new one  :)
JohnnyW116

johnnyw116

Today a new floor kickdown switch , i never use the kickdown but the top of the switch was gone ? i noticed it last week when i put a new set floormats in the car , its not difficult turn the switch counter clockwise and you can pull the switch out , turned out i had a spare switch with the same partnumber A 000 300 00 41 and and a new rubber seal 115 997 06 40 that goes underneath the kickdown switch so it was a 5 minute job
JohnnyW116

johnnyw116

today new Accelerator Linkage Bushings , there was not much left of the old bushings (one round bushing is not on the pic but i have both) also new safety hooks for the hood the old ones needed help when closing the hood , its not rust around the safety hooks i got some copper grease on my hands when i used it for the four M6 bolts 

JohnnyW116

goldacre

Wow, nice work  8) Will need to find the post to get those link parts, have to remove valley off my V8 to find the vacuum leak I have at cylinders 7 and 8 so good opportunity to swap out the old linkage parts  :- :)

G
12/1979 450 SEL 148K on clock (museum piece)
12/1986 Lotus Esprit Turbo 87K on clock 'Darling, look what Q has brought for us, isn't it nice' :)

johnnyw116

Quote from: goldacre on 23 December 2021, 10:46 PM
Wow, nice work  8) Will need to find the post to get those link parts, have to remove valley off my V8 to find the vacuum leak I have at cylinders 7 and 8 so good opportunity to swap out the old linkage parts  :- :)

G
maybey this link is helpfull : https://www.ilcats.ru/mercedes/?vin=WDB11603212003528&function=getParts&class=1&catalog=040&aggtype=FG&model=116032&group=30&subgroup=001&language=en 

i ordered it at Niemoeler in Germany but they work with older partnumbers on some parts
https://www.niemoeller.de/en/w116/w116-mercedes-350SE/B028/300101
JohnnyW116

johnnyw116

In this period of too much free time i do some jobs on the 350SE some are necessary and some are not , the car got a litlle neglected in the last few years , today fresh oil and the usual Mann H 929 X oilfilter i also drained the oil cooler , i always use kroon oil products (overhere a local brand) i used kroon classic multigrade 15W40 to be precise i got it cheaper ordering ten one liter cans and free shipping on the recent black friday
JohnnyW116

johnnyw116

Best Wishes to all for 2022 , Today nothing to do so i did a litlle maintenance on the 350 so i replaced he V-belts becouse the double steeringpump belts showed a lot old age cracks , i replaced them with Continental belts from the local parts shop , i used for the 1974 350SE  1 piece continental AVX 10X950 for the dynamo/alternator/lichtmaschine and 2 Pieces Continental AVX 10X1184 for the steeringpump , and after cutting off approximate 70mm of the end tailpipes i fitted the new chrome exhaust end tips with the straight pipe look , its the first time in 30 years i have this type chrome exhaust tips normally i always buy the downwards bended end tips , but the first job in this new year is done 
JohnnyW116