News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

What have you done for your W116 today?

Started by BWalker82, 18 May 2011, 06:27 PM

Mick74

I've got a first aid kit coming from Australia, courtesy of Kozzy, and new engine mounts ordered from the good folks at the Mercedes Classic centre in California. I still don't have my car back from the bodyshop, thanks to lockdown, but we did put this to good use as a few extra jobs cropped up and the shop just got in this new anti rust treatment which apparently gets in all sorts of places, so she got a good poke with that. I'll get the name of the stuff next week, when I hopefully see the car again. I was supposed to be leaving for France next Sunday for a 6 week, 4500 mile European jaunt, but that will have to wait till next year. And 98 octane is so cheap right now. Damn.
1979 6.9 #6475

BCDC

Hello everyone. I have that warm glow of satisfaction because I just installed a set of new injectors to my 1978 280SE this morning. Purrs like a kitten! Pretty easy job. The old ones were okay but didn't seat perfectly with the 42 year old rubber seals hardened, so it was most likely sucking a bit of air and had a very slight rough idle. All good now. Also last week I also changed the auto trans fluid and installed an new filter, so all the fluids are replaced now since I bought the beautiful old car.  I took it out for a test drive of course after checking there was no leaks and it runs perfectly. Got to love that feeling. Now on to the next few jobs. More rubber replacements.

BC
1978 280SE Cream with blue interior. With SLS

raueda1

Adjusted tranny control rod.  Now it's dialed in!   Amazing how sensitive this thing is.  But the car is running now like a scalded cat.  It's fun shifting at will with the gas pedal.
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

midnitesunmerc

I finally got around to  changing my '77 280SE over to alloy wheels - my parts car came with them but I always figured they were too worn to bother with; however, I looked at them more closely a while ago and found that they weren't too bad after all, it was mainly just the centre caps  that looked really old. Also, I found out that one of our local metalworking shops was refinishing alloy wheels which was a big surprise to me because I thought this could only be done in the big cities which are a long way from where I live and the shipping costs would have been prohibitive. Anyway, I dropped the wheels off and they were sandblasted, painted and powder coated all in the same working day and they did a lovely job with them. I think they look better than the hub capped steel wheels and they are  certainly lighter, but after a 100 mile run the other day I know I'm going to need some harder brake pads as the front rims are dirty already - not a big surprise as the steel rims that  came off were caked with dust from years of wear.
1977 280SE Colorado Gold
1979 280SE Euro model (parts only)

UTn_boy

Quote from: midnitesunmerc on 25 June 2020, 04:26 PM
I finally got around to  changing my '77 280SE over to alloy wheels - my parts car came with them but I always figured they were too worn to bother with; however, I looked at them more closely a while ago and found that they weren't too bad after all, it was mainly just the centre caps  that looked really old. Also, I found out that one of our local metalworking shops was refinishing alloy wheels which was a big surprise to me because I thought this could only be done in the big cities which are a long way from where I live and the shipping costs would have been prohibitive. Anyway, I dropped the wheels off and they were sandblasted, painted and powder coated all in the same working day and they did a lovely job with them. I think they look better than the hub capped steel wheels and they are  certainly lighter, but after a 100 mile run the other day I know I'm going to need some harder brake pads as the front rims are dirty already - not a big surprise as the steel rims that  came off were caked with dust from years of wear.

Mercedes used soft pads for a very good reason....to have maximum braking.  Installing harder pads will cause you to have to sacrifice some braking ability.  If the brake dust bothers you just install the dust shields that go on the insides of the wheels.  Some will argue that those will cause the rotors to warp from not being cooled, but the shields have vents made into them for this purpose, and in 10 years I've not had one set of rotors warp. 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

Squiggle Dog

Quote from: UTn_boy on 26 June 2020, 03:33 AM
Mercedes used soft pads for a very good reason....to have maximum braking.  Installing harder pads will cause you to have to sacrifice some braking ability.  If the brake dust bothers you just install the dust shields that go on the insides of the wheels.  Some will argue that those will cause the rotors to warp from not being cooled, but the shields have vents made into them for this purpose, and in 10 years I've not had one set of rotors warp.

This is true. Mercedes used soft pads that make a lot of brake dust, but the advantage is good gripping power. I personally couldn't tolerate the brake dust, especially with whitewall tires, so I went to Akebono ceramic brake pads. There was a slight loss of that throw-you-forward with the tap of the brake pedal performance, but the braking is still very good, and there is absolutely no noticeable brake dust. Even after two years of use, I have found the brake parts, wheels, and wheel covers to be very clean. So, it's a trade-off and you have to choose between maximum braking performance and less dust.

Oh, and to combat early wear on the brake rotors, I had the new genuine Mercedes ones cryogenically frozen down to 600F below zero and then slowly brought back to temperature which results in a more wear-resistant surface. The cost was about $100 for all four. Time will tell, but after 3 years they still seem to look like new.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

w116john

hi all, hope ye are well

A few small jobs done this week, i just had the transmission linkage grommets replaced, it was not going in to park fully and i had to start the car in neutral, and the parking pawl was not engaging so that's working great again.

i had the water pump replaced late last year and since then the temp would rise to 90 when hot and parked, it ran at 80 on the road. prior to this it never went above 80. a consequence of this i think, is that the aav is fully closing,  car is running great idles nice and smooth.

its going in for some body work in a few weeks (the car is outdoors and by the sea and any rust that appears i get sorted relatively quickly) and i will have the window scrubbers/ brushes? replaced then as well they are deteriorating badly.

while i was in at the mechanics he was working on a 280ce, he brought me in to see it as it was so bad, i have never seen a car (that's being driven) with so much rust and bad body repairs it was shocking.

stay safe

raueda1

Why has this thread gone dark for so long?  Time to resurrect.  Therefore:

• Lubed door hinges and locks
  • Replaced leaking door lock switch
  • Replaced window slide "jaws," lubed rails and adjusted windows
  • Replaced missing plastic sheets behind door panels
  • Replaced all the door weatherstripping
This stuff isn't very sexy but wow, what a difference. Big improvement in wind noise too!

-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

celberg

Took the crome from the wheel arc and put mud flaps on instead.
350SL 1973
350SE 1975
SL500 1996

hamidagha

Thanks to one of our members Nathan from Australia, I have finally got myself a drivers side mirror and installed it.

BCDC

Well, I finally got the roadworthy certificate for my 280SE! It failed the first try because of very slightly perished fuel lines around the pump, filter and accumulator. Fixed now and got the paperwork. Now I can get "historic" or Special Interest registration as it is called here in Tasmania for just $205.39AU the first time with plates and $183.52 after that. Close to $400 cheaper per year. This allows 104 days a year use of the vehicle which will be fine for me as it isn't a daily driver. I also gave the old girl a good wash, came up a treat. Next on the list, plug leads that have been sitting in the shed for about a year, new door seals that have been sitting in the shed for about a year and chasing vacuum leaks in the door locking system. Any hints from the brains trust are most welcome with the latter.

BCDC
1978 280SE Cream with blue interior. With SLS

buki5

Let's keep this going.

Today.  replaced left rear turn signal and tail light. Took a pic of my Odometer turning over 84K miles.  Also a pic of half a tank with 400 miles on the trip meter.  Love a Diesel.

Big outstanding issues
No dash lights
no cruise
HVAC wonky with new electronic controller (At least it works)
No A/C
Have to slam driver door
Steering is pooooooooor (lot's of play).
Seats look great but need repadded.
More chrome clean up inside.
Clean engine compartment
Replace Glow plug (s)
1980 300SD turned over 84K 10-20-2021
Silver w/ Blk MB Tex

Mick74

400 miles on a tank is a fantasy for me. The best I've seen is 306, and that was stretching it.
I think it's a good idea to photo milestones on our odometers. I took one last Christmas eve at 120k miles, so I reckon that I'll do the same this year. I have the car just over 3 years and have done almost 10k miles, so she's reasonable active.

Today I pulled the height adjustment lever to see does it work. It does, with what I described as sudden brutal efficiency. Not entirely sure if it will go back though. I also patted my car and asked her how she was. Does that count?

I won't follow Buki's example and list the jobs that need doing as I'm going to bed in 2 hours, so I don't have enough time!
But I have some work planned and will give an update on that when it happens.
1979 6.9 #6475

TNNBENZ

Today I am doing research about a control/push valve in alloy distributors...  I either do not have one or it is stuck and will not come out & play with me... ::)
Any advice anyone.  Couple days ago I degreased the oil pan area & the differential... Got my hair rolled up in the creeper wheels   :'(    Happens all the time......... :'(
Later will try to get the control/push valve to play or at least show its head......... ;)
Neglected ~ Rescued ~ 1977 450SEL 4.5L  U.S.A. ver.
Project of Compassion ~ Respect
Silver Green Metallic / Toast
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

johnnyw116

Today i recieved my venetian blinds i ordered them at KMworks in Belgium they are also on facebook , the brackets are aluminium with metal louvres so its all metal and no plastic
JohnnyW116