Author Topic: What have you done for your W116 today?  (Read 73687 times)

Mick74

• Enthusiast
  • W116 Enthusiast
Re: What have you done for your W116 today?
« Reply #360 on: 06 June 2020, 02:24 PM »
I've got a first aid kit coming from Australia, courtesy of Kozzy, and new engine mounts ordered from the good folks at the Mercedes Classic centre in California. I still don't have my car back from the bodyshop, thanks to lockdown, but we did put this to good use as a few extra jobs cropped up and the shop just got in this new anti rust treatment which apparently gets in all sorts of places, so she got a good poke with that. I'll get the name of the stuff next week, when I hopefully see the car again. I was supposed to be leaving for France next Sunday for a 6 week, 4500 mile European jaunt, but that will have to wait till next year. And 98 octane is so cheap right now. Damn.

BCDC

• Enthusiast
  • W116 Enthusiast
« Reply #361 on: 17 June 2020, 08:42 PM »
Hello everyone. I have that warm glow of satisfaction because I just installed a set of new injectors to my 1978 280SE this morning. Purrs like a kitten! Pretty easy job. The old ones were okay but didn't seat perfectly with the 42 year old rubber seals hardened, so it was most likely sucking a bit of air and had a very slight rough idle. All good now. Also last week I also changed the auto trans fluid and installed an new filter, so all the fluids are replaced now since I bought the beautiful old car.  I took it out for a test drive of course after checking there was no leaks and it runs perfectly. Got to love that feeling. Now on to the next few jobs. More rubber replacements.

BC
1978 280SE Cream with blue interior. With SLS

raueda1

• Vintage
  • W116 Enthusiast
« Reply #362 on: 18 June 2020, 04:52 PM »
Adjusted tranny control rod.  Now it's dialed in!   Amazing how sensitive this thing is.  But the car is running now like a scalded cat.  It's fun shifting at will with the gas pedal.
-Dave
Now:  '76 6.9 Euro
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

midnitesunmerc

• Enthusiast
  • W116 Enthusiast
« Reply #363 on: 25 June 2020, 02:26 PM »
I finally got around to  changing my '77 280SE over to alloy wheels - my parts car came with them but I always figured they were too worn to bother with; however, I looked at them more closely a while ago and found that they weren't too bad after all, it was mainly just the centre caps  that looked really old. Also, I found out that one of our local metalworking shops was refinishing alloy wheels which was a big surprise to me because I thought this could only be done in the big cities which are a long way from where I live and the shipping costs would have been prohibitive. Anyway, I dropped the wheels off and they were sandblasted, painted and powder coated all in the same working day and they did a lovely job with them. I think they look better than the hub capped steel wheels and they are  certainly lighter, but after a 100 mile run the other day I know I'm going to need some harder brake pads as the front rims are dirty already - not a big surprise as the steel rims that  came off were caked with dust from years of wear.
1977 280SE Colorado Gold
1979 280SE Euro model (parts only)

UTn_boy

• W116 Addict
  • Chrome Bundts & bundts with white walls are a sin!
« Reply #364 on: 26 June 2020, 01:33 AM »
I finally got around to  changing my '77 280SE over to alloy wheels - my parts car came with them but I always figured they were too worn to bother with; however, I looked at them more closely a while ago and found that they weren't too bad after all, it was mainly just the centre caps  that looked really old. Also, I found out that one of our local metalworking shops was refinishing alloy wheels which was a big surprise to me because I thought this could only be done in the big cities which are a long way from where I live and the shipping costs would have been prohibitive. Anyway, I dropped the wheels off and they were sandblasted, painted and powder coated all in the same working day and they did a lovely job with them. I think they look better than the hub capped steel wheels and they are  certainly lighter, but after a 100 mile run the other day I know I'm going to need some harder brake pads as the front rims are dirty already - not a big surprise as the steel rims that  came off were caked with dust from years of wear.

Mercedes used soft pads for a very good reason....to have maximum braking.  Installing harder pads will cause you to have to sacrifice some braking ability.  If the brake dust bothers you just install the dust shields that go on the insides of the wheels.  Some will argue that those will cause the rotors to warp from not being cooled, but the shields have vents made into them for this purpose, and in 10 years I've not had one set of rotors warp. 
1966 250se coupe`, black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3, papyrus white/dark red leather
1971 280sel Black/black leather
1973 300sel 4.5, silver blue metallic/blue leather
1976 280s astral silver/blue MB Tex