News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

What have you done for your W116 today?

Started by BWalker82, 18 May 2011, 06:27 PM

rob280sel

Nothing in 5 years, in storage at Grandmothers house.
Working and living in remote Australia has its down sides.
Up side, filling the old girl would cost well over au$200 out here at $2.50/Ltr.

Wolfgang Germany

Today I installed a fire extinguisher that has been in my garage for a long time. It is a NOS part that I bought many years ago. The test stamp coincidentally corresponds to the year of the first registration of my 6.9. :D I only got the holder for it a few days ago.

And the racing duck was also happy!  ;D

regards
Wolfgang

BCDC

I went for a drive into the local town. The car started perfectly and idled away with that beautiful deep M110 note while I got myself organised and also let the chooks out because I had forgotten to do so earlier. The drive on uncrowded roads was perfect, ranging between 60km/h and 100 ish when ever I chose. Did a little shopping than back into the car. Drove back home a little more energetically for no other reason than I could. There is a turn off where I shift back into third for engine breaking with no need to touch the brakes then accelerate until I'm happy then slip it into top. A few km's at open speed limit then back into my road to home. Gliding over my slightly bumpy road made me wonder at how great the W116 really is. Reversed into the garage and let her idle for a little before saying thank you and leaving her rest for a while until the next time.

BC
1978 280SE Cream with blue interior. With SLS

revilla

Quote from: BCDC on 19 March 2020, 09:55 PM
I went for a drive into the local town. The car started perfectly and idled away with that beautiful deep M110 note while I got myself organised and also let the chooks out because I had forgotten to do so earlier. The drive on uncrowded roads was perfect, ranging between 60km/h and 100 ish when ever I chose. Did a little shopping than back into the car. Drove back home a little more energetically for no other reason than I could. There is a turn off where I shift back into third for engine breaking with no need to touch the brakes then accelerate until I'm happy then slip it into top. A few km's at open speed limit then back into my road to home. Gliding over my slightly bumpy road made me wonder at how great the W116 really is. Reversed into the garage and let her idle for a little before saying thank you and leaving her rest for a while until the next time.

BC

Nicely written!
Nothing like the rides on the peaceful country side in one of these wonders W116...

Me, I fixed the antenna on one of them. It wasn't going up/down all the way despite cleaning the ext shafts. Found old hard grease inside, quite gummy. After disassembling, cleaning and regrease, all is back to normal.

adamb

Quote from: ptashek on 08 March 2020, 05:07 PM
Busy day ;)

Changed engine oil and filter, coolant, brake fluid and diff oil. The diff took 10min to drain, and 90min to refill. Pushing 1.5l of 75W-90 gear oil through a 5mm diameter tube is a bloody chore.

I topped up the diff today with this handy £17 handpump from Halfords. It was pretty quick. What were you using?

ptashek

Quote from: adamb on 30 March 2020, 04:51 PM
Quote from: ptashek on 08 March 2020, 05:07 PM
Busy day ;)

Changed engine oil and filter, coolant, brake fluid and diff oil. The diff took 10min to drain, and 90min to refill. Pushing 1.5l of 75W-90 gear oil through a 5mm diameter tube is a bloody chore.

I topped up the diff today with this handy £17 handpump from Halfords. It was pretty quick. What were you using?

Squeezing the bottle (with built-in 20cm long filler tube) while assuming some weird yoga poses, and cursing the world for my misery :D
I must get one of those pumps.

1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

raueda1

Prepped engine bay for respray!  Engine is out, and everybody convinced me that this is the time to do it.  It's almost ready to spray, just a few details to attend to.  All the hardware, brackets etc were replated.  It was pretty clean to start with but now it ought to look new.  Very exciting!  I just hope the engine runs right when it's in.   :o
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

BCDC

Finally got around to putting new engine mounts in the 280SE. With help from my mechanic friend "The worlds strongest man" we managed to get the old ones out with one side much easier than the other. All was accomplished with the car on the hoist and work done from below, jacking the engine slightly to give better access to the top allen screws and to get the new ones in. The difference in hight was astonishing, with the originals at least 20mm sunken over 42 years. A two hour job because of the pesky inside bolt on the exhaust side. We had to cut an allen wrench and use a ratchet spanner to turn it a tiny amount at a time to get the bugger out! Getting the allen bolt back in proved just as difficult. Anyway the old girl has new mounts and is running fabulously. Managed to go for a nice spin in the Tasmanian countryside on the way home as well which is what these beautiful old cars are built for. Bye till next time.

BCDC

ptashek

I've replaced the top engine to radiator coolant hose, and the rocker cover to air filter breather hose today. I did get new rocker cover gaskets as well, but didn't fit them just yet. One starts showing the tiniest signs of sweating, so better to have some spares at hand. I like my engine clean(-ish). I've also replaced the idle control screw a few weeks back.

The coolant hose was an original MB part, the breather some aftermarket brand, and both fitted around four years ago at this point. One developed a split in the outer layer, the other disintegrated into an array of cracks. Both now replaced with MB parts, and we'll see how long they'll last this time.

Sadly, the car made only a 100 miles this year and is unlikely to do any before August, which is when we were told we'll be able to travel freely within the country. It's torture :D
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

Pete49

replaced a couple fuel lines to the fuel pump due to leakage of the 45 year old hose. Just junk I guess. LOL.
Still got a leak in that area though so crawl under again I guess.
What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
Edward Langley,  Artist (1928-1995)

raueda1

Reinstalled the engine! No small feat. ;D

Now just got to hook it all up and hope it runs.   ???

-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

revilla

Guess what happens to rubber under compression/vibrations for 41 years?

https://handbook.w116.org/Engine/110/22-211.pdf

BCDC

Well, I did the engine mounts a few weeks ago and they looked quite like to ones in the last post here. Anyway, today I replaced the front shocks with good gas units. Drives beautifully. Easy job but I do have a question about the rear ones. It's an SLS system that works fine but the rubbers are had it I presume and sometimes there is a knock over bumps. so can I still get hold of these rubbers and how hard is the job? Thanks in advance.

BC

Pete49

Well over the weekend I replaced the leaking fuel pump on my "75 450SEL and today went for a drive on this warm sunny day. Not looking forward to winter at all.
What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
Edward Langley,  Artist (1928-1995)

celberg

Changed motor oil, filled up the automatic levelling system and changed oil in the diff. The diff oil (75W-90) had run only 3000 km but there was a singing noise between 70 and 80 km/h that I didn't want to hear. I went to my MB dealer and got the correct oil for my car, Schaltgetriebeöl A 001 989 89 03, BeVo 235.3. As written in an earlier post, it took 10 min to drain but this oil was much thinner and with my pressurized can it took only 5 min to fill the diff with 1.8 lit. Now the diff is quiet as a sleeping mouse.
350SL 1973
350SE 1975
SL500 1996