Author Topic: What have you done for your W116 today?  (Read 69650 times)

rob280sel

• Enthusiast
  • W116 Enthusiast
Re: What have you done for your W116 today?
« Reply #345 on: 10 March 2020, 11:56 PM »
Nothing in 5 years, in storage at Grandmothers house.
Working and living in remote Australia has its down sides.
Up side, filling the old girl would cost well over au$200 out here at $2.50/Ltr.

Wolfgang Germany

• Enthusiast
  • W116 6.9 Enthusiast
« Reply #346 on: 17 March 2020, 11:51 AM »

Today I installed a fire extinguisher that has been in my garage for a long time. It is a NOS part that I bought many years ago. The test stamp coincidentally corresponds to the year of the first registration of my 6.9. :D I only got the holder for it a few days ago.

And the racing duck was also happy!  ;D

regards
Wolfgang

BCDC

• Enthusiast
  • W116 Enthusiast
« Reply #347 on: 19 March 2020, 07:55 PM »
I went for a drive into the local town. The car started perfectly and idled away with that beautiful deep M110 note while I got myself organised and also let the chooks out because I had forgotten to do so earlier. The drive on uncrowded roads was perfect, ranging between 60km/h and 100 ish when ever I chose. Did a little shopping than back into the car. Drove back home a little more energetically for no other reason than I could. There is a turn off where I shift back into third for engine breaking with no need to touch the brakes then accelerate until I'm happy then slip it into top. A few km's at open speed limit then back into my road to home. Gliding over my slightly bumpy road made me wonder at how great the W116 really is. Reversed into the garage and let her idle for a little before saying thank you and leaving her rest for a while until the next time.

BC
1978 280SE Cream with blue leather interior. With SLS

revilla

• Classic
  • W116 Enthusiast
« Reply #348 on: 19 March 2020, 10:47 PM »
I went for a drive into the local town. The car started perfectly and idled away with that beautiful deep M110 note while I got myself organised and also let the chooks out because I had forgotten to do so earlier. The drive on uncrowded roads was perfect, ranging between 60km/h and 100 ish when ever I chose. Did a little shopping than back into the car. Drove back home a little more energetically for no other reason than I could. There is a turn off where I shift back into third for engine breaking with no need to touch the brakes then accelerate until I'm happy then slip it into top. A few km's at open speed limit then back into my road to home. Gliding over my slightly bumpy road made me wonder at how great the W116 really is. Reversed into the garage and let her idle for a little before saying thank you and leaving her rest for a while until the next time.

BC

Nicely written!
Nothing like the rides on the peaceful country side in one of these wonders W116...

Me, I fixed the antenna on one of them. It wasn’t going up/down all the way despite cleaning the ext shafts. Found old hard grease inside, quite gummy. After disassembling, cleaning and regrease, all is back to normal.
Robert
W116 1977 280SEL & 1979 280SE

adamb

• Vintage
  • 1977 450SEL6.9
« Reply #349 on: 30 March 2020, 02:51 PM »
Busy day ;)

Changed engine oil and filter, coolant, brake fluid and diff oil. The diff took 10min to drain, and 90min to refill. Pushing 1.5l of 75W-90 gear oil through a 5mm diameter tube is a bloody chore.

I topped up the diff today with this handy £17 handpump from Halfords. It was pretty quick. What were you using?

ptashek

• W116 Addict
  • W116 owner
    • History of ZV9485
« Reply #350 on: 30 March 2020, 05:50 PM »
Busy day ;)

Changed engine oil and filter, coolant, brake fluid and diff oil. The diff took 10min to drain, and 90min to refill. Pushing 1.5l of 75W-90 gear oil through a 5mm diameter tube is a bloody chore.

I topped up the diff today with this handy £17 handpump from Halfords. It was pretty quick. What were you using?

Squeezing the bottle (with built-in 20cm long filler tube) while assuming some weird yoga poses, and cursing the world for my misery :D
I must get one of those pumps.

1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE (history, resto)