News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

What have you done for your W116 today?

Started by BWalker82, 18 May 2011, 06:27 PM

BCDC

During a drive recently a noise developed from the drivers side wheel area while cornering fast left sweepers. Steering was fine but a grinding noise was there. At home I checked the wheel bearing and also had a look around other steering parts. When I lightly tapped the metal disc rotor dust cover it was so close to the rotor and touched it, so I bent it away from the rotor a little and that was it. Went for a test drive and everything is perfect again. Such a simple little fix. I'm so glad when something that sounds drastic turns out to be not. Love this car.

1978 280SE Cream with blue interior. With SLS

UTn_boy

Quote from: BCDC on 29 January 2020, 08:12 PM
During a drive recently a noise developed from the drivers side wheel area while cornering fast left sweepers. Steering was fine but a grinding noise was there. At home I checked the wheel bearing and also had a look around other steering parts. When I lightly tapped the metal disc rotor dust cover it was so close to the rotor and touched it, so I bent it away from the rotor a little and that was it. Went for a test drive and everything is perfect again. Such a simple little fix. I'm so glad when something that sounds drastic turns out to be not. Love this car.

I love simple fixes, too!  Though, I do have to wonder what caused this dust shield to bend in the first place.  It doesn't bend easily without being hit or struck from road debris or by running off of the road or into a ditch or something.  Any idea how it may have happened? 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

BCDC

No idea how it happened, there are no signs of impact and if there were it would be pretty obvious. The tolerance is quite small, maybe 3 or 4mm max but mine was about 1mm or less before the fix. I just set it back to where the other side one was. I do live in the bush here in Tasmania and my "road" or track is quite rough but the old Merc breezes up no problem and doesn't bottom out, however there is some gravel kicked up by the tyres so that may be it.

ptashek

I've refurbished the spare instrument cluster from my 350SE. Revived the old plastic a bit, cleaned up 30+ years of nicotine residue, re-greased all gears where appropriate, zeroed the odo and cleaned up all digits, repainted the needles with satin RAL2007. It's as close to new looking as was possible.

I've used isopropyl alcohol to clean everything, as it doesn't attack any of the dial paint. The paint was a custom-order 1K acrylic RAL2007 with satin finish (30% gloss) and is almost identical to the original.

It was a test run for the main event: the 450SE cluster refurb  (less the nicotine, and zeroing the odo).

1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

BCDC

Nice job indeed. Quick question, do you use KM's rather than Mph in Ireland after brexit?

UTn_boy

It's so odd to see a full face clock on the right rather than a tachometer with small clock in the middle of it.  Looks great, Lucas! 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

ptashek

Quote from: BCDC on 09 February 2020, 03:44 PM
Nice job indeed. Quick question, do you use KM's rather than Mph in Ireland after brexit?

Ireland (Republic of Ireland, aka "Southern Ireland", alka Éire) has used metric since around 2004 officially for everything, and in science way longer than that. Northern Ireland, which is part of the UK, uses imperial.

marku

As usual for the UK the whole system of measurement is a mess with a mixture of different systems. We don't use metric for road speed or distance but we do for weights and liquids. Some trades use a mixture of both. The Imperial system is for weight.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

BCDC

I think most users crack the $100 mark when filling up these days I certainly do. Those 96Litre tanks, Jesus wept.

Pete49

Quote from: BCDC on 15 February 2020, 04:15 PM
I think most users crack the $100 mark when filling up these days I certainly do. Those 96Litre tanks, Jesus wept.

true that but the drive is to pinch a saying ..'Oh what a feeling'
What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
Edward Langley,  Artist (1928-1995)

ptashek

Yeah...
Takes about $150 (US) / €140 to fill one of these up here. Doesn't last long at 16l/100km combined average either ;)

marku

Finally got round to remaking the parcel shelf cover. Had several attempts which included the pvc edging to the first aid cover. Not happy with result obviously needs an industrial sewing machine. We have had in the house a lot of carpet fitting done that included quite a bit that was shaped and had the edge bound or "whipping" as apparently the trade call it. Asked the fitters about it and ended up having the parcel shelf cover done. All outer edges, speaker openings the opening for the first aid container and its lid. Really pleased with it and looks much better than the pvc edging. Think I will continue and replace all the carpet which is looking very much the worse for wear and definitely does not look good with the new paintwork. Not original of course but I do think it does look much better.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

daantjie

Quote from: marku on 16 February 2020, 12:01 PM
Finally got round to remaking the parcel shelf cover. Had several attempts which included the pvc edging to the first aid cover. Not happy with result obviously needs an industrial sewing machine. We have had in the house a lot of carpet fitting done that included quite a bit that was shaped and had the edge bound or "whipping" as apparently the trade call it. Asked the fitters about it and ended up having the parcel shelf cover done. All outer edges, speaker openings the opening for the first aid container and its lid. Really pleased with it and looks much better than the pvc edging. Think I will continue and replace all the carpet which is looking very much the worse for wear and definitely does not look good with the new paintwork. Not original of course but I do think it does look much better.

Pics please ;D
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

rumb

Quote from: ptashek on 16 February 2020, 11:27 AM

Yeah...
Takes about $150 (US) / €140 to fill one of these up here. Doesn't last long at 16l/100km combined average either ;)

Would be about $75 here for a full tank.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

ptashek

Busy day ;)

Changed engine oil and filter, coolant, brake fluid and diff oil. The diff took 10min to drain, and 90min to refill. Pushing 1.5l of 75W-90 gear oil through a 5mm diameter tube is a bloody chore.

As I was refilling the coolant, I've found a 40mm split in the outer layer of the upper engine-to-radiator hose. An original part that lasted less than four years / 15k miles. So annoying. For now it's reinforced with self-fusing silicone tape, until replacement arrives.

Unsurprisingly, the upper hose on my W124, also an original part, started leaking after 20k miles... So much for MB quality.

As for brands, I've stuck to my trusted ones - Liqui Moly, Mann and Comma.