News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

What have you done for your W116 today?

Started by BWalker82, 18 May 2011, 06:27 PM

jjb-w116-hu

UTnboy - which of all of that fantastic work made the biggest difference to driving/steering ?
ive got new bilsteins alround as of last week and there is still a bit of boating going on . i do know i need a new steering coupling which i am waiting on...  thanks, JJB

HKDP

My dear 1977 450SE gave me a stroke at the petrol station today......174 euro's full tank...thats uhm $230, I blame Libya.
But I took her to power wash, had a relaxing ride home and waxed and polished......

You don't need bling you need a 450.....

Type17

Washed it, clay-barred the bonnet (hood), polished the brightwork, waxed the paint, and then removed the radio to find the source of the single stereo channel - dry solder joint on the amp circuit board - sorted  8)

Ready for a car show in Limerick on Sunday.
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

1980sdga

New tie rod end links/sleeves installed.

WGB

Quote from: HKDP on 27 May 2011, 12:19 PM
My dear 1977 450SE gave me a stroke at the petrol station today......174 euro's full tank...thats uhm $230, I blame Libya.

It will cost about AUD$140 (US$150) to fill my 6.9 with 98 Octane if near empty.

Bill

1980sdga

It costs me about $60 to fill up my diesel.  Diesel is about the same price as premium here.

You blokes are getting raped!

jjb-w116-hu

gentlemen i concur - i was stunned when the 96octane (prem) to fill up my old girl the other day came in at 183$ NZD. someone, somewhere is seriously taking the p1$$ (to quote local terminology)....

:'(

jbrasile

US$174.00 to fill up here in Sao Paulo Brazil.... and that's for regular (about 87-90 octane I think...) gas....

Over the weekend I swapped the door strikers from the left side front to back to cure an annoying squeak, problem fixed but the upper  nut plate on the rear door fell inside the fender well!!! What a nightmare to get it out, rear seat had to me removed and finding / retrieving took about 2-3 hours. Ideally these should be replaced after 33 years but they are a bit pricey so will leave it for the future.

Tks,

Joe

jjb-w116-hu

will the old girls run happily on 91 gas?

thysonsacclaim

Quote from: jjb-w116-hu on 01 June 2011, 12:46 AM
will the old girls run happily on 91 gas?

Where do you live again?

Mostly going to depend on compresson. I'm not sure what the MFG said about the lower compression models (USA, esp later USA etc), but you could probably escape using mid-grade. Mine ran fine on 87 (pre-valve job, with gasket leak).

However, if you're in the US, the differece between filling with reg versus super is maybe $5-$10 on a whole tank.

The other reason to use super is that (in the US anyway), the top tier gas usually has more detergents in it. These cars are old, and the injection systems, valves, etc are sloppier than in brand new cars because they are not as precise. I do believe the cleaners make a bigger difference in older cars.

At XOM, our tankers of reg come in plain Jane tankers. However, when we get the load of super, it comes in a special tanker because it is more than nominally different. It cannot be sent to another brand station. Mid grade is often made by blending Super and Regular.

One more thing: the cost of using an octane booster with regular or whatever isn't usually worth it (in the US) versus using super because they are typically $4-ish a bottle. (ie the price of regular gas + booster is about equal to super gas on a total fill up). Of course, if the motive is to boost octane above the top gas available, or as a routine monthly cleaning, that may be different.

This may or may not hold true in other countries.

Gas is about $3.669 per gas / 3.78 litres for reg here in FL atm.

Hemersam

Had a local upholstery shop (small business) replace the MBTex on the drivers left side bolster (nice, big hole in it---watch what you put in your pockets!) and replace the Tex around the edge of the seat back. Nice job. I think I may sell the 280SE (unless my grandson talks me out of the car), so I've got to fix the "little things."
Hemersam

1980sdga

I'd like to see some pics of your upholstery!

I got a front-end alignment...

jjb-w116-hu

well after Koan's headsup on where in heck the trunk light was, new bulb for that and new rear window chrome clips, rivets and catchs so i can finally replace the old rear window and importantly gasket ! no if only i could decide whether to tint or not the glass before i put it in and of fit an after market window demister haha!

timinoz

Hi,
First time poster. Long time listener.
I recently picked up an insanely clean 78 280 SE with only 185,000 k on the clock.
This site has been awesome for tips.
Today I changed over the voltage reg after completing the interior detail & 20 hours of polishing. (I own a car wash & detailing centre  ::)).

Cheers for all the info guys.

WGB

Quote from: 1980sdga on 31 May 2011, 09:49 PM
It costs me about $60 to fill up my diesel.  Diesel is about the same price as premium here.

You blokes are getting raped!

I assume you have the smaller tank in the diesel - petrols have 95 litres.

Bill