News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

What have you done for your W116 today?

Started by BWalker82, 18 May 2011, 06:27 PM

w116john

I bought 4 bundts pn 1084001002 with 4 new tyres 2 falkens and 2 camac  205/70/14, they need a bit of tidying but i got them for 100 euro for the four great value, i will try and pick up a fifth at some future stage.

I think i will use the rial 16/8 that i have on for winter and the narrower bundts for summer , if we ever get one again its been non stop rain and wind, which is driving water in my rear windscreen seal, parcel shelf is wet that's a job for next month.
I didn't like the RIAL alloys originally but i have grown to like them, the RIAL look like BBS but a lot cheaper.

john

ptashek

Quote from: w116john on 08 February 2014, 06:33 AM

I bought 4 bundts pn 1084001002 with 4 new tyres 2 falkens and 2 camac  205/70/14, they need a bit of tidying but i got them for 100 euro for the four great value, i will try and pick up a fifth at some future stage.

I think i will use the rial 16/8 that i have on for winter and the narrower bundts for summer , if we ever get one again its been non stop rain and wind, which is driving water in my rear windscreen seal, parcel shelf is wet that's a job for next month.
I didn't like the RIAL alloys originally but i have grown to like them, the RIAL look like BBS but a lot cheaper.

john

I have either four or five spare original 14" bundts (and a few copies of lesser quality). Given that I've switched to 15" bundts and have no plans to ever use the 14s again, I'll part with these for reasonable money if you're interested. They're in good nick - mount, and enjoy. No work required. Actually, I have 3/4 of a mechanically sound 350SE in spares if you need stuff.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

socalsean

Ordered custom engine mounts and a top end gasket kit.

beagle2022

Replaced the headlining on a 280sel with a sun roof.  Got the roof lining from a supplier in Turkey ($100US) and paid a local trimmer to do the deed ($300 Aussie).  Fiddly job with a sun roof. Good outcome though.
Sydney, Australia

ptashek

Quote from: beagle2022 on 19 February 2014, 10:42 PM
Replaced the headlining on a 280sel with a sun roof.  Got the roof lining from a supplier in Turkey ($100US) and paid a local trimmer to do the deed ($300 Aussie).  Fiddly job with a sun roof. Good outcome though.

Can you provide a link for the supplier?
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

adamb

Quote from: ptashek on 20 February 2014, 08:20 AM
Quote from: beagle2022 on 19 February 2014, 10:42 PM

Can you provide a link for the supplier?

Try eBay. I got a roll for £30. It's standard perforated material used in VWs also. I made my own headliner using the existing one as a template. The difference in colour is incredible.

w116john

hi

I went in search of a rear screen demister relay , as i have just discovered i have a demister i wasnt sure as the lines are very fine and vertical? unlike any demister that i have seen before. any way i found why my central locking had stopped working as the vac line had come loose , re-attached and its working again.

the relay i was looking for is not in the kick panel , it must be by the knee roll? thats where the buzzing is.

some progress at least

all the best

john

ters

Started Sunday.....full service, new differential oil (for peace of mind only..). Only got to test drive the old lady this afternoon.
I am falling deeper in love with her gracious and effortless driving.

Now I need another 116, but V8....

Ters.

djetronicista

:) I finally replaced both Front Swaybar Rubber mounts,  had to remove the brake booster and brake lines.  took the heater motor and box assembly out to get to one of the bolts.  What a job still need to bleed brakes will do tommorrow.
73 mbz 450 SE
78 XJ12 (6ltr from 94)
53 Desoto

FoxAlpha3

Pulled off all of the belts, cut a few off instead of taking them off properly in order to get down to the parts store in time!

They didn't have them all, and a lot of my old ones weren't labeled..

Went to start her before hand and she wasnt starting, fuel was pouring out at the filter.. Bugger

gordonm

Finally got my 116 350 engine running after eight months being removed, stripped, rebuilt, refitted, diagnosed ( right hand cam 180 degrees out ), removed, shipped back to Glasgow, reset (timing), returned, refitted, running like a bag of bolts, six hydraulic tappets renewed, warmup regulator overhauled, idle air valve renewed, timing set to 5 degrees BTDC -----runs like a dream---- what was all the fuss about !!!

adamb

Quote from: gordonm on 05 March 2015, 12:53 PM
Finally got my 116 350 engine running after eight months being removed, stripped, rebuilt, refitted, diagnosed ( right hand cam 180 degrees out ), removed, shipped back to Glasgow, reset (timing), returned, refitted, running like a bag of bolts, six hydraulic tappets renewed, warmup regulator overhauled, idle air valve renewed, timing set to 5 degrees BTDC -----runs like a dream---- what was all the fuss about !!!

Well done. But something is seriously wrong... the picture shows the wrong chassis :)

Beastie

Today I brimmed the tank from the reserve with the total cost of fuel coming out at... 116 dollars. :) "Ha!", I thought. That funny little coincidence distracted me from the rather sharp, shooting pain emanating from my wallet.
1979 280SEL

"She's built like a steakhouse, but she handles like a bistro."

Ray R

Not just today. More like for the last month or so.

Started by changing all the fluids and filters on the '79 300SD. Even the power steering pump. Differential oil, brake fluid flush, etc., etc. I bought the car in October with just 88k miles on it.
Changing the fuel tank filter was interesting. I pulled the hose and let it drain into some 5 gal containers. After what I thought was close to empty, it kept dripping fuel from the hose. I was in no hurry, so let it drip for a day.....then another day.....then another day. The fuel drip was never ending. So I went ahead and pulled the filter and WHOOSH.....another couple gallons dumped from the tank. Yep, that filter was pretty clogged up.  ;)

I bought a set of original 14" bundts from a local chap, bead blasted them, and off they went for powder coating. They should be ready this week. Then going to get new skins mounted. Some Michelin Defenders in 205/70 R14 size.

I replaced the shocks at each corner with some new Bilsteins. Those originals were ready for a change. Improved the ride substantially.

I replaced the fuel sensing unit which fixed the reserve light issue I had where it used to be on steady.

I replaced the alternator with a rebuilt Bosch unit when my dash warning lights (brakes and battery) came on consistently at idle. Also replaced all the belts while I was in there.

I replaced the rear defroster switch which wasn't working properly. It wouldn't shut off without turning the car off.

I still have a few more things to finish, but it's getting close!

daantjie

Good to have fresh goodies on 8)
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber