News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

What have you done for your W116 today?

Started by BWalker82, 18 May 2011, 06:27 PM

TJ 450

Yes not bad at all Hiho,

BTW I have a couple of those upper housing gaskets and intake manifold gaskts if you want them.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

hi ho

Would you have to replace the seal on the top section of the water pump if you pulled it apart, or is that not necessary, kind of similar to when you pull the thermostat housing, in that there isn't a seal/gasket?

Thanks Gavin

Some time ago I took off this top section to check if it was leaking and replaced it with goo only (ie no gasket) it didn't leak. This time around I bought a new pump (doesn't come with top section) and thermostat from Rockautos - it came with 2 gaskets for the pump and an o ring seal for the thermostat housing (A$133.00 delivered). I used the gaskets and o ring with the goo. (be aware thermostat housing to bottom hose is only available new as a genuine part from MB - around $100.00 I recall)

Cheers hiho

1974450SEL

My windshield wiper transmission finally gave out after the 2nd time of replacing some dry rotted o-rings between the linkages.  I had bought a spare a few years ago and decided to put this one in.  The prior owner of the spare had cut the wire so I was going to remove the motor from the spare and just change out the transmission but realized I had to move the linkages to get to the removal screws so I decided to splice the cut wire and attach it to mine.   I used high quality metal crimps for the wires since this area is prone to rain coming through.  It works very well and the wiper are quite a bit faster.  Only bad thing, a few years ago when I fixed the original the first time, after re-installing it I put the wiper arms back on and  forgot to have the wiper blade on when it sprang back and busted the original windshield on the passenger side.   I have not replaced it yet but will when I have some extra funds.
    My next project is to replace some steering parts: tie rods, steering dampner, and idler arm rebuild. 

ZCarFan

I've been getting sidetracked for the last two months but I finally drained the 2-3 year old gas from the '78 280SE  and changed the filter.  The most awful looking stuff came out and it did not smell anything like gasoline. Amazing that it ran at all.   If the rain lets up today I'll fill it with some fresh gas and see how that improves things.

Looking forward to compare the driving experience against the 300SD.

WrightSounds

On my '80 300SD I just changed the ignition tumbler. It was sticking pretty bad and I feel like such a responsible adult that I took care of it before the key got totally stuck. I also changed both fuel filters and the air filter. The in-line filter was GROSS. Next up is changing some light bulbs (my "reverse" taillight bulbs are out as is the gear shift light). After that I'm going to try the contact cement trick ( http://forum.w116.org/interiors-and-exteriors/central-locking-vacuum-element-recovery/ ) to the rubber diaphragms of my fuel flap and trunk lock actuator thingy's since they're definitely not holding vacuum.

adrockj

I found this car last month broken down with a blown transmission. It was so beautiful that couldn't help buy it! My title says 1973 280SEL 4.5.  Is this a W116?? Can anyone help me figure out what it is? Thanks!! - Adam

Squiggle Dog

Quote from: adrockj on 21 December 2012, 12:08 PM
I found this car last month broken down with a blown transmission. It was so beautiful that couldn't help buy it! My title says 1973 280SEL 4.5.  Is this a W116?? Can anyone help me figure out what it is? Thanks!! - Adam

What you have there is a W108, which is the predecessor to the W116 (your avatar picture is also of a W108).
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

ptashek

I've been nice to my 450 lately.
In preparation for its resto next year, I have now collected pretty much every crucial steering, suspension and brake part except for new steering box, steering pump and master brake cylinder, which I don't need to replace. Oh, and I got it a new ignition coil, plugs, timing chain, cam-/driveshaft sprockets, oilers, guides, tensioner and rocker cover gaskets.

Places I can definitely recommend for parts:
- autohausaz.com, most prices are just awesome compared to Europe, good service too
- seekpart24.com, large selection of OEM quality parts and quite good pricing (for Europe)

Meanwhile, the biggest (only, I guess) Irish Mercedes-Benz dealer failed to respond to my parts query for almost three weeks now... and I'll stop here, before my Irish-retail-rage valve opens  >:(
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

Tony66_au

Ptashek I have found that unless you have a good pre existing relationship with a lot of dealers they are less than helpful re parts for older cars.

Add to that the lack of knowledge in dealerships and parts centers on the old bangers and you are generally better off with a grey market/independent place and overseas is great as well.

I use and have used in the past Bits4Benz (Shane), AutohausAZ and MB Spares (Canberra) here in Australia with great results over and above my attempts with dealers.

there is also Classic Center in California who have a great rep and I believe Joe (Jbrasile) is also a great source of international parts as well as being an esteemed and more importantly contributing member of this forum.

Over time you will build favorite suppliers as I have and the money and angst you save will make it all the more worthwhile to lavish attention and bits on these old girls lol

Cheers,
Tony

ptashek

Quote from: Tony66_au on 21 December 2012, 08:48 PM
Ptashek I have found that unless you have a good pre existing relationship with a lot of dealers they are less than helpful re parts for older cars.

Add to that the lack of knowledge in dealerships and parts centers on the old bangers and you are generally better off with a grey market/independent place and overseas is great as well.

I use and have used in the past Bits4Benz (Shane), AutohausAZ and MB Spares (Canberra) here in Australia with great results over and above my attempts with dealers.

there is also Classic Center in California who have a great rep and I believe Joe (Jbrasile) is also a great source of international parts as well as being an esteemed and more importantly contributing member of this forum.

Over time you will build favorite suppliers as I have and the money and angst you save will make it all the more worthwhile to lavish attention and bits on these old girls lol

Cheers,
Tony

Might be. I never had any relationship with MB, because the W116, W123, W124 and W126 are the only models I would ever consider owning, and by the time these were sold new I was somewhere in between not-yet-born and in-college.

And yes, Joe is very helpful with pricing parts. I've got a list of things to work and compare through... if the dealer ever gets back to me ;)

JasonP

Today I removed and replaced a cracked hose that went between my air filter housing and the crankcase ventilation pipe. (outlined in green below)

What a chore. It was like a jigsaw puzzle, and I had to insert two parts in at the same time - the hose and the large u-shaped intake line.

It was a total hack job before I got to it today - there was no grommet for the vacuum line from the vacuum pump (outlined in red, above), just a lot of rubber goop I had to remove from both the hole and the hose. The rubber insert inside the u-shaped intake line was shoved to the side and is now misshapen, it does not seat right, but I think I forced it to.

I also discovered all three of my air filter housing rubber mounts were ripped off. I had no idea.

I'll post pics and write up later, if this all sounds greek to you (as it would to me). The great news is that this little hose was spraying oil everywhere, and now it is sealed and tight. But that begs the question - why was oil in it at all? Is there supposed to be? When I took it all apart, oil was actually dripping from the u-shaped intake line. And there was oil in the turbo (but the turbo axle had no play whatsoever! and the blades looked nice and un-chipped! Woo-hoo!) And I put in a new rubber grommet and now the vacuum line seats perfectly.

It's really cool when you have no idea what you're doing and you know if the part doesn't fit your f--ked, but then the part does fit and it all goes back together perfectly.  :)

I just hope the air filter stays in place and doesn't vibrate itself to Timbuktu. It is being held in place by the u-shaped intake line - I tightened the clamps with a socket instead of a screwdriver.

1979 300SD
Color: 623H "Light Ivory"
1979 300SD
Color: 861H "Silver Green Metallic"
1977 280 E
Color: 606G "Maple Yellow"
-------------------------------------------

Tony66_au

A few days ago I removed half the oil cooler feed line to the top of the cooler to repair the hose but I cant find my hydraulic hose crimper tool, so today I borrow the same hose from the Brown SE and I will replace the hose on the SE when I repair the busted item.

Then its an oil change with whats left in the SEL and after some priming or the lube system a test start with the AAV hose 3/4 restricted to keep the cold start to low low RPM incase I hear something nasty I dont want the cold start at 1800 RPM............

Kjhall65

I washed the 450SE today and drove it around awhile having a bit of fun and running the LPG tank low.  Once the tank is empty (in the next week or so) the car goes onto the car stands and the LPG comes out and the K-Jet goes back in.  I am hoping to start this with a mechanic mate in the second week of Jan before I go back to work.

When I start he project ill start a new thread and put up some pics of the process.  She will also get a new steering coupler while she is high and dry.

ZCarFan

Put another 5 gallons of premium in the 280 SE after draining the tank and changing the filter and it now at least starts and idles cleanly on its own.  Still pops back and bogs when feeding it throttle.  The valves are not so noisy anymore which makes the big leak at the exhaust manifold/head pipe sound even louder.  Sadly, this means some exhaust work.

I will need to change the filter again, check the fuel pressure and do a full tuneup with valve adjustment to really evaluate the engine.  Idles quite smoothly so I think she'll live. 

After that, it's on to the list

* Sunroof drains and weathersrtip
* Outside door handles (replace one adjust 3)
* Restuff rear seat
* Rebuild window switches
* Tires
* Machine rotors, rebuild calipers (due to sitting)
* belts/hoses
* buff paint
* replace trunk weatherstrip
* fix rust in spare tire well
* turn signal switch

Could do it all in one weekend if I had the parts laid out an work would quit calling :)

ptashek

I've changed oil and oil filter today in the 450. Whoever did the last job has messed it up completely, installing the filter in reverse. As far as I can tell, all the oil was simply bypassing the filter. Unbelievable.

I've cleaned the filter housing out with isopropyl alcohol (washes old oil gunk just perfect) and then filled-up. With 8 fresh litres of 10W40 Castrol Magnatec and a properly installed Mann filter, including new o-ring and gaskets, the old lady purrs like a kitten now. New sparks made the difference, but new oil gave the finishing touch ;) A full tank of fuel did not harm either.

I other news, after even more testing today I think my CC amp is still messed up somehow.