News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

WHAT FUEL DO I RUN ON

Started by mpreed, 13 May 2009, 11:00 PM

mpreed

I have a 1978 280SE and I am just wondering what fuel I run it on?
Cheers

s class

Where are you located?  Is the car european spec, or Aus, or US.  In general, use premium octane - if its the lower compression US version you can get away with regular. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Mforcer

While I do agree with using a premium quality fuel (what ever that means) I do not believe there is any benefit from using a higher octane rated fuel than necessary. Your car's hand book should tell you the minimum octane rated fuel required for your specific engine.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Big_Richard

In Perth WA, my preference is for BP fuels.

My daily driver is limited to Shell and Caltex, as dictated by the company supplied fuel cards. When ever i "accidentally" fill even with BP regular the car just runs better, and goes much harder.

we have the BP refinery here though, the other brands just seem like diluted crap.

TJ 450

Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 14 May 2009, 07:32 AM
we have the BP refinery here though, the other brands just seem like diluted crap.
Anything that doesn't come from the BP Kwinana refinery apparently comes from South East Asia.

If in Australia, 98 RON Premium Unleaded is what you should use. An upper cylinder lubricant isn't necessitated, but could be used.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

mpreed

THANKS ALL FOR YOUR HELP, i AM IN qld aUS

Big_Richard

BP Ultimate, champ  8)

You could probably get away with using regular unleaded, I have experimented in the past using regular in my aus spec 6.9 with zero noticable difference.

Its not strictly required on Australian spec low compression engines, but i choose to use ultimate regardless.

The slower burning nature of high octane fuels will cause black smoke from the exhaust if the car is setup specifically for low octain fuel. I dont have this problem but i've seen it on other model vehicles with fixed, non adjustable electronic ignition timing, cough cough, bmw m30.