The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

What does this mean...

Started by andy77, 08 December 2009, 02:38 PM

andy77

According to Wikipedia regarding the self leveling suspension

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_450SEL_6.9

I found this below:

NHTSA decreed this feature illegal in the US market, but it could be enabled simply by removing a limiter at the tank-mounted control valve.

Does this mean if this feature were disabled on my car, if I pulled the height control handle on the dash nothing should happen?

alabbasi

It means that the height control valve lever can only go up a certain amount on the US cars because of the limiter.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

WGB

I think it is only a rubber sleeve that limits the movement of the cable which should be easily removable.

I have the feature but never use it.

Bill

koan

Took a while to find this, I knew I'd seen it somewhere. This picture is on m100.org.

The small silver sleeve in the centre of the circle is what limits the travel of control disc.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

andy77

So do I have the diameter of this sleeve/hose replaced?
If so, does anyone have a part number?

Thank you

alabbasi

Andy, I don't think you need to worry about this piece it looks like what you see in the picture.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

TJ 450

Andy,

I just had a look at your photos in the gallery. You have that piece installed on your car already. This means that you will only have two positions available when you pull the control cable. They are normal and service (lock).

So that is right, nothing should happen as far as change in height is concerned.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

WGB

If you want full height control - take it out but you will be making your 30 year old hydraulics go where they have probably never gone before and might find something you don't need.(Sleeping Tigers)

Bill

andy77

Since the system is suppose to be all automatic...does it matter if I take out this piece?

Meaning, if I take out the piece will the car self adjust higher and lower and will my ride me improved?

If you think taking it out would make a large difference, how do I go about doing this, what am I looking for to remove?

Thanks

s class

No, no and no.

Self levelling means the car adjusts itself to a preset height, regardless of the load in the car.  (within the weight limitations of the car of course). 

You have a U.S. spec car.  That means there is only one preset height available, namely standard.

Doing the conversion will mean that, like euro spec cars, two preset heights will be available, namely standard and high.

The high ride height position is only for traversing rough terrain, and the handling of the car is terrible.  Consequently, with euro spec cars, we only ever use the standard preset ride height anyway. 

Doing the conversion will have absolutely no impact on the behavoir of the car in the standard preset height setting.  What WGB is saying is that doing the conversion will allow the valves to operate in a manner they have never (in 30 years) been asked to do, and could release pockets of dirt and other gunk into the system.  Further, considering that the conversion is strictly speaking in contravention of your local motoring regulations, it is probably a good idea if you just leave things the way they are.

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL