News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

What Causes Poor Power

Started by calvin streeting, 13 November 2010, 12:59 PM

calvin streeting

Quote from: s class on 20 November 2010, 03:02 PM
Are you getting enrichment when you remove the vacuum connection to the WUR?

I just noticed that...  after it got dark and i re read the docs.. bugger :)

s class

Typo in my last post - I meant to say - I presume those are system pressure readings obtained with the valve closed.  Did you run the car with the valve open to get the control pressure values?

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

calvin streeting

done it again..

1 bar:     on cold start (OK)
System preasure
5.0 bar:  Shut of the valve system preasure.
control preasure
4.1 bar: with vacum lines atached to WUR
3.2 bar: without vacum lines atached to WUR

I did clean out the WUR filter. seem slightly better. also not i removed all the washers on the FD control to get it down to 5.0 bar

I think WUR is getting old.. and also will check valve on fuel pump.

I hope i got it right now.

s class

Sounds like you did the test correctly.  Those control pressure values are a bit high (both with and without vacuum), and will result in a lean running system. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

calvin streeting

Ok. so either new WUR, or WUR repiar kit (clean and rebuild). i have been looking on web for both, and how you test them on the bench before fiting.

as far as i an tell to test the basics i would need to build a 5.0bar feed connect to it and warm it up.

My custom pipe fittings worked good i only had one leek, and after a resolder that was resolved, they are simple to assemble and i am sure i could use old injector pipe ends from a spare w123 280e system, and make ends for connecting it perminatly and leave it under the bonnet (especialy if i have to rebuild the WUR).

s class

Whilst your WUR performance is not in spec, I don't think it will have such an impact as to cause 'walking speed' performance.

calvin streeting

yes i agree wur is in spec.

but note i also did this..
Quote from: calvin streeting on 21 November 2010, 11:02 AM
I did clean out the WUR filter. seem slightly better. also not i removed all the washers on the FD control to get it down to 5.0 bar
the system preasure was around 6bar and i got no change in reading when i shut the valve.
and now it accelarates still not perfect but at least it moves..

I think the issue is everything a bit warn and thus not realy on problem.. :( . which makes it harder to fix

Dose any one have a good k-jet tune up guide?

KenM

If you do a google or such search Calvin you can find the Bosch k jet manual, otherwise a good book is called How to tune and modify Bosch fuel injection, by Ben Watson. It's an American book, covers D jet, K, KE and others plus specifics for many makes of car, worthwhile getting a hold of I would say.

s class

The spec on an ...056 WUR is :

3.5 to 3.8 bar system pressure, at idle with vacuum, once warm-up is complete.

2.8 to 3.2 bar system pressure with no vacuum (ie full load enrichment).

The unit I'm getting from CIS Flowtech has been set for 3.6 bar with vacuum, 2.9 bar without.  So its a little on the rich side, but should give a nice shot of extra power under acceleration .

calvin streeting

so going by that logic..
if mine is giving 4.1 with vacum then i will be running lean..

hang on...(he says thinking :-\ )

and the extra preasure would push down on the FD control plunger and make it harder for the air plate to deflect. and also if i got the pressure down from 5ish to 4.1 by cleaning the filter and also got better accelaration.. then is i could knock it down by another 0.5 bar that would help..

5.0 bar control preasure = shite..
4.1 bar control preasure = better..

s class

s class

Before shelling out on a remanufactured WUR, its also worth checking if the steel fuel lines to- and from the WUR are free-flowing, and not occluded with rust etc. 

calvin streeting

will do also i will clean the "fuel damper" that is also on the line between FD and WR...