News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

what brake fluid to use??

Started by irvine, 29 March 2018, 01:35 AM

irvine

hey everyone, I need to replace my brake lines asap ((thanks to everyone on a previous thread for finding the correct hoses))
what type of fluid do I need??? ive searched but not finding any answers, everywhere just says there is specific fluid for specific brake systems etc.

I plan on just installing the new lines, and bleeding the brakes at this point, in a couple of months I intend to do a full fluid flush.

thanks,
neil

ptashek

Standard DOT4 is what came from factory. Watch out for spills, as it's extremely corrosive and will eat through paint in no time.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

irvine

Quote from: ptashek on 29 March 2018, 02:51 AM
Standard DOT4 is what came from factory. Watch out for spills, as it's extremely corrosive and will eat through paint in no time.

Thanks mate.

Neil.

daantjie

As for brand Pentosin seems to be very highly regarded.  I run Ate brand.  As with motor oil as long as you stick to reputable co and right type then all should be well.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

irvine

Thanks everyone for the info regarding the brake fluid and which brake lines from a previous post.
Installed the new lines this morning and ended up flushing out the system for all new fluid.
Super easy job.

Thanks again,
Neil.