News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts for over 20 years!

Main Menu

Went in for a suspension and brake check. Left crying...

Started by Rimas, 01 May 2013, 05:49 AM

Rimas

Hi guys,

so I suppose the W116 honeymoon is over and things just got real. After a few odd squeaks and groans I decided to take the car into a Pedders dealership for a 28point inspection. To my surprise, this is what ensued:

The technician was kind enough to give me a tour under the car and from what I could see, a lot of the problems are due to the perishable bushes and assorted rubbers not having been replaced in years. As much of a shock as the quote was, I am determined to work through it. I'd be pretty confident to take some of these issues on myself, and to give a good mechanic a few of the tricky jobs.

What I am really wondering about is what sort of jobs can I group together? I'm thinking:

Immediately > All hoses
Next two weeks > 'Simpler' bushes
Three weeks > More complicated rubbers

Four five and six weeks > the rest, god only knows what order  :(

I'll be searching the forums high and low for people with similar issues.

Cheers

KenM

Looks a bit disheartening perhaps, certainly a surprise you would rather not get but in the scheme of things it could be a lot worse. TJ, S Class and others can give you all the detail you need on whats involved in doing the works,

nothing out of the ordinary there. I'm kind of surprised that you were able to get such a comprehensive quote with pricing for parts and labour; I may be looking at it wrong but it seems quite a reasonable price to me to have

somebody do this work. If that's all you need to get the old girl back on the road it could be much worse so don't be too down about it.

Bandolero

Go to Quandt Motor Engineers in North St Frewville and tell them Russell with the 6.9 sent you.
You'll get a cheaper and better job than Pedders. The phone number is 83793699.
Russell Bond - (Adelaide, South Australia)
1978 450SEL 6.9 .... #5166 .... 12/78 (Sold.) [url="//www.ezycoat.com.au"]www.ezycoat.com.au[/url]

ZCarFan

If you have to prioritize it, then yes, brakes first, followed immediately with steering.  Bushes next  Always think to yourself "what is the result of this part failing completely" and you will quickly know what is to come first.

I'm a bit confused by the mention of the driveshaft yoke.  Can't say I've seen one broken that has not come apart, usually "modifying" the floorpan for you as the shaft flails about under the car.  What did the yoke look like when you were under there?  If it really is cracked, then do that at the same time as the brakes.

TJ 450

I know the feeling. That was when I decided to do all the work myself.

That's all pretty standard stuff to need replacing. You'll find that those bushes are probably original.

I've done all that work on the car in the driveway for less than 1k parts on my 280S.

I'd check out Bandolero's suggestion first.

As for the driveshaft yoke, they would be referring to the flex disc I'm sure.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

TJ 450

I'll have a closer look at those items and let you know how I would go about it, when I return to WA.

In short though, lower control arms and cross yoke need to be done at the same time. I would leave that until last, but not least.

Don't worry about the shocks for a bit, as they can be changed at any time.

Prioritise front upper control arms, tie rods, flex disc. Look into the stripped thread. W126 hubs are suitable replacements if needed.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Rimas

Thanks Ken I will look up TJ's and S Class's projects.

Bandolero, thanks that's great to know. I assume they're a trusted source for all your work. I'll definitely give them a go if some of my dad's connections fall through.

Zcar, he didn't actually point out the driveshaft yoke under there come to think of it. I think he might have called the rubber coupling on the driveshaft a yoke accidentally because he pointed that one out. The one closest to the gearbox had pretty alarming wear and it looked quite new. The bolts are sitting off-centre and some of the rubber is disturbed. Bad aftermarket rubber coupling?

Must check out the yoke then just in case because I second your concern about one of those coming loose!

TJ I agree, original bushes for sure. I'd be really interested to know where you sourced all these parts. I've been browsing on bits4benz for example but I really want to get a shopping list ready so that I can tackle the work. I think I found some of your old threads on the 280S, it looks very helpful.

Cheers guys,

Rimas

Squiggle Dog

If it makes you feel any better, those parts prices seem inflated, and I think you could get quality parts for less money elsewhere and then do the labor yourself and probably come out spending maybe only a quarter of the price. I know a few of those jobs are tricky, so some of it will probably need to be done by the shop.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

oversize

I seriously doubt any of those items would be classified as URGENT.  They often overstate the danger to get the work.  However if you're chewing out front tyres then it'll cost you more in the long run if you don't look at some of the suspension issues
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

alabbasi

Quote from: oversize on 01 May 2013, 10:32 PM
I seriously doubt any of those items would be classified as URGENT.  They often overstate the danger to get the work.  However if you're chewing out front tyres then it'll cost you more in the long run if you don't look at some of the suspension issues

I don't know. I had a ball joint let go on my old Opel Manta some time back while driving it, no fun. It was eating up tires pretty quickly on that side. A lot of this stuff is DIY'able. Do what you can yourself and then have the shop do the rest. You'll save a bundle.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

carl888

The outer tie rod ends seem very expensive, I have bought a genuine ones from a dealer about two years back and they were $29 each.  I know things have gone up a bit since then but you might wish to supply the parts yourself if possible.  The report seems very thorough and I agree with the urgent items.  Having a ball joint let go and therefore experience steering failure is not being responsible to you or other road users.  Not to mention the leaking brake hoses, that's very serious.

carl888

Quote from: oversize on 01 May 2013, 10:32 PM

Leaking brake hoses??!!!

Mark.....please let us know when you are on the road, so I know to stay inside!!!

carl888

Bandolero

Haha, of course the labour costs are fair, they are making up the shortfall by jacking up the prices of the parts.
Woolies and Coles do the same thing, that way they can offer the fuel vouchers.
Chemists do the same by letting you join them and then you get discount.
However, the discount only brings the price back to what you should've paid.
That's why I go to the discount chemist outlets.  ;D
Russell Bond - (Adelaide, South Australia)
1978 450SEL 6.9 .... #5166 .... 12/78 (Sold.) [url="//www.ezycoat.com.au"]www.ezycoat.com.au[/url]

oversize

Fair enough IF they were actually leaking....  And IF there was significant play in the ball joints.  But unless it's a trusted workshop, or you actually SAW the defects I'd be pretty sceptical.  Often a 'leaking' hose is just cracked outer casings and a 'badly worn' ball joint is just a torn dust boot.  Sometimes it pays to get a second opinion unless they've proven themselves to be reliable in the past.

Trust me; I'd never drive a car if I really thought it was unsafe!
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P