News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Water in the drivers footwell...

Started by 1980sdga, 25 May 2011, 08:14 PM

TestJet

Hi guys im pretty new to this sight but have been driving my 6.9 for over 15 years. i had the same problem with water in my floor boards from stopped up drain lines. i cleaned them out but found out that didnt stop my problem. It seems the water froze at some point and cracked the A/C compartment plastic housing. I tried every way possible to seal the darn thing but it always started leaking again. last year i took the A/C compartment apart found the cracks and sealed it with JB Weld. Happy to report no more problems. Jon i sure hope you dont have that big of a problem.   

ColMustard

Its funny, im dealing with this now too. It took me about 15 minutes or so to pull both of em out. Of course I had already removed all the interior already looking for the source of the leak  ;D. I can tell you though that I literally mutilated that layer of foam with the rubber on top of it. It was more than rotted. That bolt that holds down the accelerator was rusted pretty bad, but fortunately just minor surface rust in other places. Drying out the mats now, gonna goto the glass place tomorrow to make sure they fix it properly. After im sure the source of the leak is gone (tomorrow) gonna start putting it back together

1980sdga

Yea, I'm gonna be doing the foam rubber boogie next week  ;D

I left the front windows down about 1/4"  (Probably 5 mm to you bonnet guys ;D) with the car out of the garage when I left home. I don't think it's rained there but the gutters should keep any more water from coming in. And maybe the heat dried out some of the water in the mats.  The car was starting to smell musty and the windows were fogging so I'll bet I have a lot of water.

Does the water stay in the front footwells or can it get under the seats?

My car split time between Nebraska and Florida with most of it's life in Florida so hopefully I don't have any freeze damage but thanks for the heads up!

jbrasile

Jon,

Water will get under the seats and usually run to the rear foot wells  so check to see if the back carpets aren't soaked.

Tks,

Joe

1980sdga

I just pulled it apart and boy was it soggy  :o  There was noooo way it was going to dry out on it's own any time soon.

The foam rubber/tarpaper material (second layer deep, under the carpet) looked intact but the rubber/tar paper started crumbling as I manipulated it so I think I'll give up on it  ::)  The bottom pads look pretty good so I put them on the shingle roof of a shed in my yard. It's supposed to be about 100 deg F here the next day or so so they should get a good baking.

Very little rust so I'm happy  :D  

Thanks for the tips guys!  It started to make sense as I got in there.

I just wanted to add that it is possible to remove the drain lines without pulling the console. There is a plastic tab on the pass. side (US) that once unscrewed allows the console "wings" to open up enough to visualize the hoses. I was able to remove them mostly by feel and clean them out. Even with pushing a wire through the bottom there was still a lot of crud in there and I think I would have had the same problem in the future had I not removed/cleaned the hoses.

There is a screw by the accelerator pedal that you remove to get behind the drivers side panel. It's a little harder because the pedal is in the way but it's doable.

The front drain bungs can be seen through the leg ducts that go to the doors once all the under-dash ducts have been removed. Look in towards the console and you'll see them. These must be the drains that Joe mentioned which were added later.

jbrasile

Jon,

That's a great tip on moving the console wings to get to the drains! Just hadn't thought of that!

Tks,

Joe