News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

want to see something FCUKT UP?

Started by Yesmar, 17 April 2009, 02:57 PM

Yesmar

cracked oil filter housing. 

let me paint a brief picture for you.
i go to the garage to move my 116 to get the lawnmower out, as the grass needs to be cut ...BAD.   So i turn her on, frist time start!  ooohhooeee so smooth. i light a cig and pace around my car while she's warmin up ;) admiring my beaut. when i get around to examine the face of my car,WHAT :o ??? a single spot of oil on the floor!!!  OK ,  at first i was flipping out! never before has this ever happened!!!! FREAKING OUT i tell ya! ok ok cooler heads prevail, i think to myself well its over 30 years old, why be pissed of an oil leak, besides today is friday and i just hit 3000 miles since my last oil change, i was planing on changing the oil tomorrow (sat.) so i would let it go, yeah? ???
well i pull my car down my driveway just at the sidewalk enough room to pull the mower out,  i get out the car and WHAT whats this ...!!!!ALL MY FLIPPING OIL allover the sidewalk the driveway the garage?!?!?!?!? oh my god!I know it wasnt all out cuz i looked under and it wasnt the drain plug so i threw it in reverse quickly n put backed it into the garage.(cuz i didnt want my car to be stuck with a leak and no oil right in the middle of everything!. I wanted it back in the garage!)now is parked and shut off.  well hell ill just change the oil today and cut the grass tomorrow,right? since it was allready half way done for me. Mostky because i HAD to figure out  what the hell happened.  i had all the oil and the oil filter i bought last week because i knew i was going to do it this week.  (you may remember me asking what summer oil to use..)  as soon as i put my head under there (picture ABOVE) is what i found .  to wrap it up  i took it all off, drained the rest of the oil, called Mercedes Benz told em what i need  " O we dont have that part in the USA right now, it will be about 5 days."  so now iv got grass that is WAY past due+5 MORE days, my sweet baby out of commision, and a garage and drive way full of cat litter!

sorry just venting
- Ramsey

s class

I have never heard of this happening before.  Someone must have rediculously over-torqued the filter bowl retaining bolt at some point in the past.  Not the recommended way to drain the old oil out......

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

alabbasi

I think i may ahve a spare one of those.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

koan

It must have split when it got 3+ bar oil pressure when the engine started. Lucky it happened then rather than the middle of nowhere.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

zedster

Dude! That is FCUKT UP! I wish I could tell you where to get a new one. Does a neighbor have a lawn mower to borrow?  ;D
1979 450 SEL "Spinne Blaue"

Big_Richard

being aluminium, it certainly is possible to damage if its over tightened. the steel ones aren't such a risk, such as those on the m100.

Part number for you 110 181 05 04

Probably a very good idea to invest in a torque wrench.

oscar

Ow geeez yesmar.  I usually guess tighten these things.  Never thought they'd crack like this though.

FWIW I decided to use a torque wrench on wheel bolts for the first time the other day on the 280S and three broke.  Definitely set a tad under 100Nm I thought it would be safe.  Maybe the bolts had been overtightened in the past and already had stress fractures, I don't know, but I need to replace the whole lot to be sure they're safe.

40Nm the manual says for the filter.  Even that seems to high, is it??
1973 350SE, my first & fave

GreaseMonkey

I have a spare one from my W123 280E, with the M110 motor. I think it should be the same, but it is in Australia, and I don't know how much shipping would be, but it would not be quicker than the quoted five days.
If you get stuck though, give me a PM.
Chris M.

Yesmar

yes i first thought it was due to over tightening it  but last time i even touched it was about 4 months ago   just dont know why it would shatter now?? are weather has been changing quite rapidly ???   lol i know this is not the recommended way to drain oil.    i do have a question while im waiting for the housing to come in, should i be covering the part that it screws into with something? so not to get anything in there?   

yes it is aluminium , steel would be a logical material.
- Ramsey

Yesmar

and Yes thank god  after i cooled off, i was so pleased that it happened in front of my house rather then ANYPLACE else

Patrick B.   will that steel one 110 181 05 04 properly fit to my 280s?    i never want this to happen again!
- Ramsey

Yesmar

well good news
Link world impex has it. on monday i will drive down to baltimore maryland and pick it up an hour from my house!  no shipping or anything!  i just hope they have it instock. i will call befor i leave....WHY cant they just be open today. ???

Mercedes benz dealership .."nope that part is nowhere in the USA... do doodo...  5 business days from europe"

i got it in one business day an hour from my house, cheaper too.  If you want anything done right you gata do it yourself. 

patrick b  thanks for the part number
- Ramsey

Big_Richard

Quote from: Yesmar on 18 April 2009, 02:47 AM
well good news
Link world impex has it. on monday i will drive down to baltimore maryland and pick it up an hour from my house!  no shipping or anything!  i just hope they have it instock. i will call befor i leave....WHY cant they just be open today. ???

Mercedes benz dealership .."nope that part is nowhere in the USA... do doodo...  5 business days from europe"

i got it in one business day an hour from my house, cheaper too.  If you want anything done right you gata do it yourself. 

patrick b  thanks for the part number

That was the current MBUSA part number for the 280S, no idea if it was steel or aluminium ;) Got a picture of this shiney new part ? ;)

13B

QuoteDefinitely set a tad under 100Nm I thought it would be safe.

That'll be because 74nM is the torque figure you should have been aiming for.

Oh well live and learn.

I.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

Yesmar

"Got a picture of this shiney new part ? "
place will be open on monday
- Ramsey

oscar

Quote from: 13B on 19 April 2009, 01:10 AM
QuoteDefinitely set a tad under 100Nm I thought it would be safe.

That'll be because 74nM is the torque figure you should have been aiming for.

Oh well live and learn.

I.

You serious!  My book said 100.   I better re-read it.

Quote from: Yesmar on 19 April 2009, 02:08 AM
"Got a picture of this shiney new part ? "
place will be open on monday

I was hoping for the same.  It'd be good to see a new one with all the writing on it still.  I try to face the writing backwards on my 350 to try and preserve it ::)
1973 350SE, my first & fave