News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

W116 Windshield replacement NYC area

Started by postman70, 18 December 2019, 03:47 PM

postman70

Hello all, was wondering if anyone can recomend a reputable glass guy to install a windshield in my W116. I live in the NYC area..looking for someome who has done them before as i hear its a pain in the a**

daantjie

Yup this job is not for a shop specializing in new cars, you will need to find a shop with some "old school" guys who have done this before.  The 116 has arguably the hardest setup for glass replacement of all Benzes.
Check out the vid made by member "polymathman", this is the gold standard for a how to in this jobby ;)
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

postman70

daantjie

No worries, here is the youtube link as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4hAT0aSIyM

Hope you are not too scared after watching it ;D 

If it's any consolation, I did both front and back myself, but it was murder :o  The vid from Ken helped a ton ;)

I have no choice but to get stuck into my own car, as there is very little support for classic Benzes here in Vancouver.  I would think that in NYC you would for sure be able to find an old school shop that can help you out.  But best to specifically ask if they have done 116's before as it is a bit of unique setup.
Daniel

sethkestenbaum

Where in the NYC area are you?  I'm up in Rockland County and will need to be replacing my windshield at some point too. I figured I would end up trying to do it myself.
Seth
Seth Kestenbaum
oldcarroadtrip.com
1929 Model A Ford Phaeton
1969 VW Bug Convertible
1980 300 SD Turbo Diesel getting fixed up
1980 300 SD Turbo Diesel rusty parts donor car

postman70

Im actually living in duchess county right now..car is currently in the bronx at body shop.did you try to replace yours yet?

raueda1

Quote from: daantjie on 20 December 2019, 02:16 PM
No worries, here is the youtube link as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4hAT0aSIyM

Hope you are not too scared after watching it ;D 

If it's any consolation, I did both front and back myself, but it was murder :o  The vid from Ken helped a ton ;)

I have no choice but to get stuck into my own car, as there is very little support for classic Benzes here in Vancouver.  I would think that in NYC you would for sure be able to find an old school shop that can help you out.  But best to specifically ask if they have done 116's before as it is a bit of unique setup.
^^^^THIS.  Except I'm not in Vancouver.  If the shop can't say with total confidence that "Yes, we have done many W116 windshields and know how to do it right," then run away.  Not "sure, we do mercedes windshilds," or "we do windshields on old cars all the time," etc. 

Watch the video several times.  It really IS doable yourself.  I wouldn't call it murder but it is very tedious and fiddly.  By following the video your odds are a helluva lot better than taking it a shop that doesn't know that they don't know what they're doing.
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

Diesel 617

To be fair if you've never done it before and have the right tools its a solid 4 hour task. And what raueda1 said above, make sure they have done W116 chassis before. The top corners are the 'murderous' part.
X3 1980 300SD Blown Heads, trans -Retired
1980 450SEL Parted out/Scrap
1980 450SEL to Diesel Parted Out/Scrap
1979 280SE Euro Spec Cloth Seats Sold
1979 300CD Daily Driver - Sold

Inventory of w116 Parts
[url="https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff"]https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff[/url]

daantjie

Also to add, best to do this in warm ambient conditions if possible, I would say 20C or thereabouts.  It just gives more flex and give to all the components, you really do need all the help you can get, especially as others have mentioned, in the top corners things can get "interesting" :o
Daniel