News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

W116 tail light gaskets

Started by postman70, 06 December 2019, 02:27 AM

postman70

Hello all, was wondering if anyone knows the part  number for gasket that is between Tail light lense and bulb holder..i have the left and right gaskets for whole assembly when mounted to car but there appears to have been some sort of old gasket that i scraped off lenses when cleaning them.. the 116 826 0158, and 116 826 0258 are what i already have..i appreciate any help you guys give..btw car is a 75 280S

UTn_boy

This thin, rope like foam rubber seal was never available separately.  One had to buy the whole lens assembly.  Consequently, there was never a part number.  However, the later W114/W115 cars did show this seal separately in the books.  It's an order by the meter item, and seems to work fine for our W116 needs. I'd buy 4 meters just to be safe.  Each meter of the seal currently lists for $9.00 per meter, and is still available.  Part number 000-987-51-33.  Take that part number into any dealership and ask them to order 4 of them for you.  Alternatively, you can google the part number and lots of places will show to have it or that they can get it. 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

postman70

What would be best for adhering this rope like gasket to tailight? Weatherstrip stuff like that yellow stuff or silicone? Or maybe something else..

UTn_boy

From the factory there wasn't any glue/sealant used, and I myself have never had to glue this material in place.  I've always inserted it into the tail light housing first, not the lens.  Make sure that the seam is at the top.  However, if you feel you must glue it I'd use a very thin coating of RTV sealant. 

postman70

Thank you for your advice, i was trying to install on the lense..thats probably why i had a hard time..i will try it the other way when i get back to car..thank you very much for that info

postman70

I tried to install on reflector housing..there is no groove or anything to sit in..its smooth and flat..how on earth does it just stay there without any adhesive..the rope seal is round all the way around..we are talking about part number 1239970381? Is this seal actually needed on a W116 or do the main gaskets that go around each gasket seal this area too? Im very confused

UTn_boy

Part number 123-997-03-81 is a grommet that holds the type designation on to the rear deck lid.  I'm very confused as to how you're trying to use this part on a tail light lens?

And yes, you should be confused, because I've potentially led you down the wrong path.  I went to remove some tail light lenses from a couple of W116 cars I have here at home so I could take some pictures for you.  Upon doing so I discovered that one of them had no foam sealing strip or groove for the seal strip (like you're seeing on your car), and the other did have the foam sealing strip with a groove it sits in.  One is a 1973, and the other a 1979, so I can only assume that there is a difference in this area between early and late models.  What baffles me is that there isn't any documentation on EPC or in the parts books noting the change/difference.  Do please accept my apology for leading you on this wild goose chase.  I know I had you buy this foam seal strip, and since you did so upon my recommendation I'd be glad to buy the sealing strip off of you to make right what I said wrong. 

To further elaborate on your issue at hand, and after looking at the style of tail light that you have, I'd run a bead of clear RTV around the part of the tail light seal that the lens comes into contact with.  This is likely the best we can do since the tail light housing to body seals are no longer available.  Again, my apologies for the misleading. 

postman70

Its no problem, you were only trying to help. I actually have both left and right gaskets...i found a guy on facobook selling a nos right side taillight and asked if he would sell me just the gasket and he did..for some reason the left side is still available but the right side isnt..and yes i wrote the wrong number for the rope gasket..meant to say part # 0009875133. I cant for the lufe of me get those taillight gaskets installed though..even after watching the mercedes source video on how to do it..it seems way too big to fit into that space..

postman70

Its no problem, you were only trying to help. I actually have both left and right gaskets...i found a guy on facobook selling a nos right side taillight and asked if he would sell me just the gasket and he did..for some reason the left side is still available but the right side isnt..and yes i wrote the wrong number for the rope gasket..meant to say part # 0009875133. I cant for the lufe of me get those taillight gaskets installed though..even after watching the mercedes source video on how to do it..it seems way too big to fit into that space..

UTn_boy

Are you sure you didn't get an R107 tail light gasket?  They're very similar. 

I've never had any trouble getting any of them in.  But if need be don't be afraid to use some sill glyde or any other type of rubber lubricant specifically meant for rubber that won't harm paint. 

postman70

No im sure they are the rigjt ones..part numbers 1168260158 for the left side and 1168260258 for right side..when did you last check their availability? No one in the country has the 1168260258..i called the classic center and they told me to use silicone..smh

Harv

Its not a fun job. What I've found to make it easier is to wrap the rubber to the plastic with some very thin wire. Then insert the assembly on to body, then cut the wire and pull it off to release the rubber fully.
1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

UTn_boy

I think you misread my commentary.  I said that I hadn't ever had any trouble getting any of the tail lights in with new seals.  It seems like you may have thought I said tha I'd not ever had any trouble getting the seals.  Well, that's true when they were available. haha   And yeah, the classic center hates it when someone comes at them with a W116 need.  I'm not surprised by what they told you.  How sad. 

postman70

Yes UTN i did read your comment wrong..and as far as tying the rubber with wire, are you saying to tie the Gasket to the plastic lense and not to the metal reflector housing? From my memory messing with it that dont seem like an option..i was thinking of the wire thing but the only way it makes sense (to me atleast) would be to tie the Gasket to reflector housing as opposed to lense..what type of wire woupd you guys recommend? Between these light gaskets and trying to find someome who knows how to install the windshield without $#cking it up im getting so stressed out

gavin116

Don't stress, take a look at this tail light seal video by Kent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9K3HkJbELk
Hope this helps a little.
1979 450SE "Mrs White"
2022 Touareg-R 3.0TSi Hybrid
[url="http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/"]http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/[/url]
[url="http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613"]http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613[/url]