News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

W116 rear spring installation

Started by postman70, 03 July 2018, 08:10 PM

postman70

Hell guys, was wondering if anyone can shed some light on installing new springs in the rear of a W116.. replaced trailing arm bushings bushings as well.. my problem is that if I get both of bolts in for the trailing arm and also have it above that annoying tab that i assume is a stopper there isn't enough room to get spring into place in control arm. If i get spring in and above that stopper with one of the trailing arm bolts removed I then cant seem to get the trailing arm in place to put that second bolt through..Any help or step by step instructions would be of great help to me...Thanks...Charlie

Harv

We have a wonderful factory service manual on this site.  ;)

https://handbook.w116.org/Chassis/32-230.pdf
1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

postman70

Thank you for that..i looked it over and it says to use spring compressor..i trying to do it without a compressor..i seen it dome on a w126 the other day..figured my car probably not much different

TJ 450

It is basically the same as the 126, although I would not be doing it without the compressor. Definitely worth purchasing for future work if you're keeping the car long term.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

postman70

Hello all.. I ended up getting springs installed without compressor.. What I did was leave forwardmost trailing arm bushing bolt out and installed a skinnier bolt temporarily in rear bushing bolt hole..Then I jacked up trailing arm while using a screwdriver as a ramp to guide the arm over the stopper. the skinnier bolt allowed just enough slack to make this work.. The second side I installed in like 5 minutes..